Still the best?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by KirkPicard, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Valenti

Valenti Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

But GR was the lightning rod, the prism which everybody eventually filtered through to form the gestalt.

2. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

10 years later after discovering TOS, it's still the best. :beer:

Phaser Two and Spock's Barber like this.
  3. Herbert

Herbert Captain Captain

Well, I don't know about that. yes, they could have done a bleaker, grittier version than they did but I would say that they were put through the ringer on several occasions during that show.

4. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commander Red Shirt

Whoa about Voyager - those characters were put through the ringer of all ringers IMO.
    Anyway, just watched Mirror, Mirror yesterday. The answer to the thread title question is yes. :beer:

StarCruiser likes this.
  5. Vger23

Vger23 Commodore Commodore

I think maybe what was meant by the "not put through the ringer" comment is that they never really changed or evolved. Yes, they went through difficult things, but they'd just be back to their usual selves (just like the ship would be back to normal) by the beginning of the next episode typically.

6. Herbert

Herbert Captain Captain

Yeah, you have a point. I laughed when the Delta Flyer got done blowed up and there it was all fixed up as if nothing happened. :guffaw:As if it was so easy to reconstruct it.
    As an aside, I never bought into the idea that the Delta Flyer could have been built by Tom Paris while on Voyager. Really stretches the disbelief

7. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Premium Member

Oh man. I never thought TOS could be unseated by any other Trek. After watching all of TOS last year and the TOS films, I was firmly a TOS True-Believer.

Then I watched DS9 and gave up my old gods for the Prophets.

8. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah I meant the tendency to reset most things. Unlimited photon torpedoes, unlimited shuttles, not enough use of recurring cannon fodder crewmen. Of course TOS re-used actors rather than characters a lot of the time and even then rarely after season one. No Trek show is perfect!

Vger23 likes this.
  9. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The heart of your message is true. With the exception of TAS, which--from time to time--faithfully captured what made TOS a legendary creation, and is a glaring contrast to the largely weaker, bloodless, new age-y franchise series to follow. From their lack of that "charge into adventure and the unknown" overflowing from TOS, but only hit and (so often) miss with the Berman series, JJ movies and Discovery. Star Trek is one of the few entertainment franchises (along with Star Wars' original trilogy) where its original version remains every jewel in its crown.

Vger23 and StarCruiser like this.
  10. Valenti

Transcendental.

StarCruiser likes this.
  11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well with regards to "The Neutral Zone" the episode in question Picard and the Enterprise where assigned to investigate the loss of contact with several coloniesnear The Neutral Zone with the suspesion the Romulans where responsible for the loss of contact. So perhaps he was pre-occupied that.

12. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Though I love TNG, TOS will always be my favorite. We will both turn 52 this year.

johnnybear and Vger23 like this.
  13. johnnybear

johnnybear Commodore Commodore

But my Lord, Day of The Dove, The Enterprise Incident, The Tholian Web, Spectre of The Gun, Let That Be Your Last Battlefield, All Our Yesterdays and The Savage Curtain were produced during that period!!! :shrug:
    JB

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  14. johnnybear

Maybe it really shocked her and she was scared? :techman:
    JB

15. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uhura was always scared! Except when being threatened by Khan's goons.

johnnybear likes this.
  16. johnnybear

There was a fire between her and Joachim, but his way of wooing her was very suspect to say the least!
    Is it true that actor Mark Tobin who played Joachim and one of Kang's Klingon goons in Day of The Dove played a Klingon in the Voyager episode where they found a D-7 cruiser on a religious pilgrimage into the Delta Quadrant?
    JB

17. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

How true, JB, but also Plato's Stepchildren and Melvin Belli as the Gorgan. :ack:

johnnybear likes this.
  18. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

LOL! Are you saying males didn't scream of fright or death on Star Trek???

19. Valenti

You're kidding, right?

20. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

Yes. I'm pointing those out as really stinker episodes, not the best of season 3. :)

johnnybear likes this.