STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Paramount should think about changing the premiere of the upcoming film. Maybe at the end of the year was more interesting.

2. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*I* think it has to do with bad WOM by some hardhearted fans disappointed by the *villain* reuse.

I personally know one of them. She (unspoiled on that detail) finally saw it and, well, to put it mildly, hates it to high heaven. I can totally see her bad mouthing the film to everyone she knows.

Multiply her unhappiness by X number of times like minded people are spreading bad WOM and that could account for the lower DBO. :shrug: Just a theory.

3. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I think it is because of the 'Into Darkness' and a story featuring terrorism, revenge, murder, suicide bombings, grim deaths etc instead of a more 'fun' adventure.

4. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No.

5. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

It's not so much the themes in Into Darkness as the way they were presented. Critics had misgivings about Iron Man 3 for similar reasons. Both films could be accused of attempting to provide a comforting escapist fantasy to wipe away the lingering PTSD of 911 (and add the Marathon bombing to that) by setting black hats against white hats. It's similar to, let's say, how The Green Berets sanitized the Vietnam war. While you could say that they attempted to almost make Khan seem sympathetic, in the end he turned out to be your usual mustache-twirler, and Admiral Marcus was as much if not more of an irredeemably corrupt bad-guy as Quaritch in Avatar.

I'm sure a script like Into Darkness could have been written that had been truly dark, as written, it's nowhere near as dark and mature as the Nolan Batman films from which they were clearly inspired. It's dark colors out of a crayola box, basically.

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Actuals for the top 6:

1. Fast & Furious 6 - $35,164,440
    2. Now You See Me - $29,254,674
    3. After Earth - $27,520,040
    4. Star Trek Into Darkness - $16,780,895
    5. Epic - $16,616,310
    6. The Hangover Part III - $16,385,254

7. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

HOORAY! STID is climbing the list again! :biggrin:

8. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Nice--After Earth and Hangover will drop like stones, leaving many to sample the Trek movie... :)

9. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Pretty much everything is, relative to expectations. Hangover 3 is 97.7 million behind Hangover 2, and Man of Steel is now tracking 10 million lower than it was just a month ago.

World War Z, Lone Ranger, Pacific Rim and The Wolverine are all tracking weak. For whatever reason, Americans are just not going to the movies right now.

Into Darkness could end up being one of the few bright spots in a bad summer for Hollywood.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's not it.

The kind of loonies who rant about this kind of thing aren't influencers. People move away from them on buses.

11. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

This was one of the biggest Mays for years.

Though thats because of the amount of movies released in such a short time.

12. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Iron Man 3, The Great Gatsby, Fast & Furious 6, Epic, and Now You See Me all either met or exceeded expectations.

The summer will yield at least a decent number of hits.

13. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

It's not just that. It wasn't a good movie, at least not by my standards. And this is coming from someone that really wanted to like this film in spite of the TWOK and Dark Knight rip-offs. I LOVED the last one, but I can't take this one at all. Spock was written out of character to me, and of course I think they mishandled S/U. They really didn't follow up on the events of the last film at all, and I think they could have if they seemingly hadn't decided that this film would be a barrage of action sequences that felt meaningless in the end...

Sorry to go on a bit of a tangent. All I'm saying is the horrible TWOK/TOS stuff wasn't the only reason to not like this film. I haven't seen most, and I mean most of TOS and I can barely remember TWOK, so that wasn't all of it to me. It was just poor movie making. I'm sorry if I offend anyone here that liked it.

And I'll just point out, on a brighter note, that there is the foreign box office. So, that's something. Although, marketing may have more to do with that than the quality of the film, but that's debatable.

14. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Fast and Furious has a higher following among sci fi fans than Star Trek?:alienblush:

And in my humble opinion, superhero movies are not sci fi.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Why not?

16. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I'm confused by this as well.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's all skiffy - superheroes, spaceship stuff, vampires and zombies and dragons and time travel. All part of the same continuum.

18. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Aside from Batman Begins, I think that trilogy is way overrated.

How does that work ? I mean, how do they adjust their projections ?

I don't think your tastes can be used to explain why the movie isn't performing the way we'd have liked.

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

They take tracking polls of the public to determine levels of awareness and interest in upcoming films. Tracking can be way off in predicting openings, though. Plus there are a number of different sources for tracking that leak and they're not always in agreement.

20. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Although I loved STID, it seems too mature for my older grandchildren (7 and 5). Hopefully, the next movie will be more family-friendly.

I am concerned that marketing was too dark for many families in US. YMMV.:techman: