STD S2 Opinion and Questions

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by ConRefit79, Jul 30, 2019.

1. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

I decided to give Discovery S2 a chance. This was after watching Youtube videos bash it to death. I guess it was described as a train wreck, so I couldn't help but want to watch. Well it wasn't a train wreck. I enjoyed it more than S1. And I guess by telling myself or accepting that this is not the same universe as the original series, I was able to overlook canon issues spawned by this being a prequel.

My biggest gripes are the writing for Tilly. As well as some of the lines like, "power of math" and "I like science". Tilly just comes off as too ditzy for a show like Star Trek. The characters in previous series were serious. Even the much maligned Wesley Crusher was serious. The other thing is how they try to run the techno-babble past you at warp speed. It reminded me of NCIS when they're hacking computers. Oh, and once again they used sonar as something for space. Just say sensors.

So we end up
    the Discovery ~900 years in the future. But the show and some of what I read make it sound like they're alone in a post Federation future. But Enterprise clearly showed they're only 1 - 200 years after Daniels time. So baring some catastrophe after the last time we saw him, Earth and other Federation worlds should still exist. Did anyone get the same impression that the time period they're going to doesn't have the Federation?
    Also, in the show where they rescued Dr. Culber, I thought they said the spore drive was wrecking the network. Am I remembering correctly? If so I guess no more spore drive except for dire circumstances.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    In Thy Image and Rahul like this.
  2. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I'm glad you watched to decide yourself. They always exaggerate everything. Can't generate the clicks otherwise.

What's this Enterprise series you're talking about? :p

But on a more serious note: the Temporal Cold War. Who knows what happened at the end of it? For all we know, that future is null and void. Kind of like the "All Good Things" Future.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Definitely works better for me as a part of the Trek multiverse vs. the Prime timeline. Though the major issues still revolve around the writing for me.

In Thy Image and Spaceship Jo like this.
  4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

"I like science" was spoken by Spock, not Tilly.

5. ConRefit79

I know. That was a just some gripes about some of of the lines in the show in general.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was thought they were wrecking the network, but it turnd out to be Culber's... ghost? Or whatever that was causing the damage.

And ENT had so much time travel (and at least one reset), and DSC even more (resetting from the Control umm, controlled future to something else) that there's no way for sure that those previously seen versions of the future still exist. We have no idea what state the future is in, all the stuff on Youtube is just speculation.

OCD Geek likes this.
  7. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

The one positive about constant time travel from the future is that (like with both Doctor Who and the Doctor Who expanded universe) everything remains canon and the future still remains 100% open for future showrunners to envision it.

"What happened?"

"A time war did it."

"Which time war? The Alan Moore one, the Lawrence Miles one or the Russell T Davies one?"

"Yes."

Kor, BeatleJWOL, Noname Given and 4 others like this.
  8. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, the season had major issues - that the main plot doesn't made a lick of sense being one. That the important plot twists weren't set-up, that we never saw Contol in action before it turned evil, that they saw the 7 signals ant their positioning in the beginning, yet had to wait for every single one to re-appear to know their position... and that the whole story seemes to be built from the back - starting with where the DIS ends up - and then moving the story step by step there, without it developing naturally or as a consequence of character action.

But it's far from being a "trainweck". It's extremely competent, professionally made decent entertainment. You just shouldn't think too hard about the plot or continuity. Much like 99% of all superhero movies, genre shows or entertainment in general.

I really liked wacky Tilly in the first half of the season. Where she had a character arc, and her especially awkward moments were the results of her coping with personal and alien issues. It only started to get annoying in the second half, where she was only a keyword-giver for plot points, where her whacky screw-ups came across as forced.

Also, my poor boy Saru got majorly shafted. When they "cured" him of his fear, they got rid of his most defining characteristic, and never did anything else with the character, or ever even put him in the focus once more. Still mad. I really like Saru, he's probably my favourite "alien outsider crewmember" since Seven of Nine. Again: Wasted potential, yes. But not a "trainwreck".

Yeah, that's the part I'm most unhappy about. By Star Trek rules, the 30rd century should either be a hyper-connected, galaxy-wide community. Or a post-apocalyptic wasteland after the galaxy-wide fall of space-faring civilisation. They're not going to do the former, and the latter sucks balls. Extremely anxious about how that turns out.

No matter what - in my head-canon, whatever happens is going to have the same degree of "realness" as all the other "alternate far futures" that we saw have been (the time the sphere builders conquered the universe, the time the temporal cold war destroyed the Federation, the one where the timeship Relativity merrily flies around, one of the many "Year of Hell" futures, ..... and so on and on.

OCD Geek likes this.
  9. ConRefit79

Maybe that TNG warp drive destroying space time came to fruition and it no longer works. So they rebuild the Federation with spore drive tech.

10. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

Doesn't necessarily have to contradict - the Federation may still be around but in a very different form having lost sight of its original mission. That's what the Short Treks seem to imply anyway.

Gotta admit I'm a sucker for shitty dystopian future settings.

11. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know. I love "Mad Max". But apart from that, shitty dystopian future settings are the most generic thing possible. Feels like in the last 50 years, 99% percent of all SF have them... I really cherish the few and far SF movies and sows inbetween that don't do that. "Star Trek" being the most important one.

ScottJ85 likes this.
  12. ConRefit79

Hopefully S3 will be less of a season long grand arc. And more individual adventures. They can be multi-part or stand-alone. Those seem to work better for the way the show is being written today.

13. johnjm22

johnjm22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Expectations have a big impact on how you perceive something. You can be pleasantly surprised or gravely disappointed based purely on your preconceived notions going in.

Succubint and antinoos like this.
  14. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

"Control" I LMAO everytime I see or hear that. Couldn't these writers have come up with a better name?? I mean, I hear or read that, and I think of Get Smart! Where's the cone of silence in meetings? Why not put com badges into their shoes? Hahahahhah..I like science! The writing was a bit ridiculous.

15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Um. Control predates Discovery.

NewHeavensNewEarth likes this.
  16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Yeah, but it didn't make it a good idea to use it in Discovery.

17. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

But that wasn't what he was arguing.

18. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

Yeah I see what you mean. I don’t think there’s much to do except wait and see.

19. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

They apparently dipped into the Trek Litverse for that, since that was the name used for a similar AI system there.
    And having never watched "Get Smart" that much because I find most comedy unfunny, for me the name Control instead calls to mind the head of British intelligence in the excellent espionage novels of John Le Carré, which predate "Get Smart."

Kor

starsuperion and Masiral like this.