Starship Size Argument™ thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by WarpFactorZ, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadowknight1

Shadowknight1 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Heck, the Enterprise-A had over 70 decks in Star Trek V. The Enterprise-E went from 24 decks to 26 in the same movie, and then at least 29 in Nemesis. And don't even get me started on the inconsistency of the Defiant.

2. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

JJ's mantra of "Bigger Is Better". :brickwall:
    "Let's have a 725 meter starship Enterprise! Let's have the 1500 meter dreadnought Vengeance! Let's have the 8000 meter mining vessel Narada!" :barf:

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

How mature.

Firebird and Neumann like this.
  4. Beyond Darkness

Beyond Darkness Ensign Red Shirt

Well, he definitely wants things to be "bigger"... in Force Awakens he opted out for a 1200m in diameter Starkiller Starbase instead of a 160km in diameter Death Star...

5. gerbil

gerbil Captain Captain

You know, the ship is clearly in the 725m range by all official accounts.

Trying to tease out the ship's "real size" from screenshots is absurd. If we do that than we have to accept the Hood (Excelsior class) and Stargazer (Constellation class) as being nearly the size of the Enterprise D from on screen evidence.

Neumann likes this.
  6. Captain of the USS Averof

Hey, who are you calling mature?! Take that back! You are the one who is mature! :razz: :nyah:

Neumann likes this.
  7. Captain of the USS Averof

Death Star I diameter: 120 km
    Death Star II diameter: 160 km
    Death Star III diameter: 1200 km

JJ sat in a room for a straight week trying to think of how to do the Death Star again but not make it too obvious. Eventually he just said "I know, I'll just make it bigger"!

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Meh. Isn't there a quote from Roddenberry about being able to park a fleet of 747's in the Enterprise hangar bay back in the 60's? Then there is McQuarrie's Planet of the Titans remake that looks like it would've been absolutely huge.

I'm still not sure why a bigger ship is a problem?

Gonzo likes this.
  9. gerbil

gerbil Captain Captain

Because it doesn't mesh with what we're used to. I sympathize because I felt the same way, too.

But it's pretty apparent that the ship is bigger. Most of the amenities and facilities are in the saucer and the engineering hull is devoted to support craft and that the guts of the ship are exposed and raw instead of paneled away.

shapeshifter likes this.
  10. Shadowknight1

Shadowknight1 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Honestly, I like it bigger. When I figured out the size of the original, it kinda disappointed me that it's only the size of a current day aircraft carrier.

Gonzo and CaptainMurdock like this.
  11. Captain of the USS Averof

It's plain and simple. The Enterprise from 2255 shouldn't be larger than the Enterprise from 2372. And not twice as large as its Prime Universe counterpart. But hey, it's a different timeline/universe. We agree we like them bigger so why stop at 725 meters? Why not make it 1600 meters, the size of a Star Destroyer. Oh, I know, let's make it 3200 meters so it can be double the size of a Star Destroyer!

12. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's in the Writer's Bible I think.

Of course, so is this gem

13. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

It isn't, some still can't deal with it though.

This isn't really an argument thread any more, it should be renamed the "Its not fair, Boohoo, its bigger and I dont like it" thread.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That only applies if one cares how big the Enterprise from 2372 is. I don't.

Gonzo likes this.
  15. Captain of the USS Averof

No problem, I respect that. For me the only Enterprise that should be equal in length or longer than the Enterprise-E would be the Enterprise-F. But as the wall on the Discovery writers office (or is it their observation lounge?) shows, the JJprise is officially 725 meters long and that's that.

16. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacecraft_in_Star_Trek

Yep. I am so much happier now that freaking out over Trek minutia is in my past. The sooner people get over it the better their Trek experience will be.

Wanna bet? ;)

17. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Actually she's listed as 726.2 on some sites and that's before Beyond pushing it to nearer 750, so he's kind of right, it's not exactly 725. :p

18. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I thought someone posted some orthos that showed shrinking the warp engines kept the the overall length pretty much the same even though they're now pushed back.

19. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I thought they were just thinner, not shorter?

20. Captain of the USS Averof

Are you talking about these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.