Starship Enterprise "Broken Bow" (Alternate version)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by The Badger, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Or she could hang it from one of -nevermind.:shifty:

2. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But she'd need two. :cool:

Otherwise she'd be lopsided. :guffaw:

3. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

OK, one thing Star Trek does that so far I've missed out. It's time for the long rambling ethics discussion!

UES Enterprise. Departing Theta Iota 6 at maximum impulse.
    Captain's Log, 17th May 2151.
    Commander Tucker has successfully replaced the damaged dilithium crystal with one recovered from the hidden station. It's not an exact fit for our systems, but he reckons we should be able to get between eighty and ninety percent of full power from it. Pre-heating of the warp coils is under-way, and I am informed we should be able to go to FTL shortly.
    The chief engineer also assures me that the damage to the Enterprise will have no significant effect on our ability to travel at warp. All the same, as a precaution I have ordered we travel away from all gravity wells at best possible speed. That will minimise the possibility of subspace distortion.
    The enemy vessel designated Hotel five continues to avoid us. It's lurking just over the horizon, using Theta Iota 6's ionosphere to bend sensor beams so it can track us. We're using the same technique to keep an eye on them. With the Vulcan Premier on board, I am unwilling to risk a further confrontation. Commander Hernandez is confident that, now we are nearly at full power, we will prevail, but we both agree it would be an unnecessary risk.

Captain Archer turned off the recorder and looked around his quarters. Overall he'd gotten off lightly. Having served on ships with either no gravity at all, or limited gravity based on rotating sections, he'd long gotten into the habit of packing things neatly away. A few books had tumbled from their case, and his bed clothes had ended up on the floor, but that was all.

Other crew members weren't so lucky, and later on there'd have to be some thought put into re-housing those who'd bunked in the damaged areas. It'd be a tight squeeze, but they'd manage it.

He looked into the mirror. Given the events of the day he'd expected to look haunted, haggard. He certainly looked tired, but that was all. Guess I'm running on adrenaline still. His hair was a bit spiky after his-much needed-shower, so he gave it a quick comb. This was no mere vanity, he always found that personal grooming helped relax the mind and put his thoughts in order.

He picked up the discarded elastic pressure suit. It felt good to be back in a regular uniform. He wasn't sure what to do with the suit, whether it should be taken back to the marines or put straight in the laundry. The marine quarters were close to sick bay, and he was heading there any way. Might as well pop in and find out while he was in that area.

Burke, Reed's administrative assistant, was the only one present in marine country. He took the garment, holding it at arms length with an expression of distaste like he'd just been given a month dead fish to handle. Archer was told that Reed was currently visiting James in sickbay.

He wasn't the only one. As Archer approached sickbay a gaggle of marines were just leaving. They saluted him. There was something a bit different to these salutes. They were not quite like the ones they typically gave. They...for want of a better word, they had more feeling to them. This wasn't just the salute given to a superior officer because protocol demanded it. The slight nods and smiles suggested that their opinions of him had changed. Up until know he'd been the captain, the guy in the comfy chair on the bridge rapping out the orders. Now that he'd joined them on a mission, placed his life on the line with them, things were different.

He saluted back, an action that normally felt uncomfortable to him but now felt so right, and thanked them for their work. As he was talking Reed exited sickbay.

"Lieutenant. Do you mind waiting a moment? There's something I need to ask after I speak to Doctor Locke."

"Certainly. I'll wait here sir."

Locke was nowhere in sight when Archer entered, but the 'No Entry' light above the hatch to the isolation ward suggested he was busy in there. Archer went into the general ward instead.

"Captain! Good to---ow! Note to self, don't try to salute with the injured arm."

"Hoshi, how are you?" he smiled.

Sato put her arm back on the cradle that had been set up by her bed. She'd removed her uniform jacket, and Dumont the marine medic was applying a purple gel to her injured wrist and shoulder. She winced as it went on, and Archer could sympathise. That stuff stung like hell.

"I've been worse, sir. According to the doctor I should be fit for duty this time tomorrow. And captain," she beckoned him closer and lowered her voice, "please don't be too harsh on Corporal James. It's really not her fault I got hurt. And she's promised to teach me some of the marine's fighting techniques."

"Hmm. No promises." Archer said with mock severity. "Seriously though, good work back on the station. You did well."

"Thanks captain."

"Ah, captain." Locke came through the hatch, peeling off a pair of surgical gloves. "The Premier's condition, whilst severe, is stable. I have little doubt he'll pull through."

Archer let out a sigh of relief. "That's good news. Have you had a look at the second thromium source?"

"I've only had time for a quick glance, but it's interesting, very interesting. If it is what I suspect it is, then the Premier may need surgery. He's in no condition for that now, but the sooner the better."

That worried Archer. "Could it wait until we got him back to his own people? I don't mean any disrespect, and I'm sure you can handle it, but if anything happens to him now..."

"The diplomatic consequences would be severe. I know, John. But the procedure is straightforward. I've done it on humans often enough, and I know my way around Vulcans."

Archer nodded. "I remember. It seems crazy though. Why would they even have something like that?"

Locke stroked his chin thoughtfully. "We still don't know exactly who 'they' are. I suspect we'd have a few more answers once we establish, for certain, what that gizmo is. I've asked T'pol and Partridge to come down here and have a look. Hopefully between us we can figure it out."

"Well, if your collective brains aren't up to the task, I don't know who is. Or should that be whose are? Whatever. At any rate we can---"

He broke off as the main hatch opened. T'pol, now back in her customary robes, entered, followed a moment later by Professor Partridge. "You wished to see us, Doctor?" the Vulcan asked.

"Indeed. I require your technical assistance. Is there anything else, John?" Locke asked.

"Nothing that can't wait. Keep me informed please. Oh, Professor, can I have a word please."

Locke gestured T'pol towards the med lab. "Don't keep her too long, we've got work to do." he grumbled.

Archer grinned at his retreating back, then turned to Partridge. "Commander Hernandez tells me I have you to thank for saving the ship."

She waved his comments away. "Oh, stuff and nonsense. The Enterprise is heavily armoured. A couple of nukes might have messed up the paint work, but wouldn't have destroyed her or anything like that."

"Depends where they hit. A direct strike to the reactor pod might have finished the ship off instantly, or left it crippled long enough for another attack to get through. A hit to the primary hull could have caused many casualties. Things could have gone very badly indeed. But you prevented that, and for that I thank you."

She looked uncomfortable. Maybe I shouldn't push this too hard, he thought, she's nervous enough about space travel as it is. Highlighting the risks might undermine her confidence. Still, she did do well, and she deserves to know that.

"I better see what Doctor Locke wants." she said softly. She took two steps to the med lab then turned back. "Oh! I nearly forgot. Are you going to the bridge John?"

He nodded. "Yes, I am."

She handed him a small grey object. "Could you give this to Maria please? It's the life support cylinder from my survival hood. The green line on the side shows how much longer it can work for."

He rolled the cylinder between his fingers, looking at it closely. "Errr, I can't see a green line. I mean, there's a red one, but it....oh." At the end of the red line the tiniest hint of green still showed.

"Yes." Polly said, her voice slightly higher and tighter than usual. "That's why I'm glad she came along when she did. Another few seconds and I'd have run down the curtains, joined the choir invisible and become an ex-Partridge."

Lieutenant Reed snapped to attention as Archer left sickbay. Deep in thought, the captain didn't say anything, but beckoned him to join him as he set a steady pace to the bridge. Eventually, after passing through one of the heavy bulkhead hatches into the main access corridor, Archer spoke.

"Too many questions. We've got too many questions, and not enough answers. After all we've done, all we've been through, it's still a mystery. Well I've had enough of mysteries, Malcolm. I want answers and I want them fast. Those prisoners may have the answers we need. I understand you and your people have some training in interrogation techniques." It was a statement, not a question.

Reed nodded. "Yes sir. And some of us have practical experience. We'll make them talk."

Archer paused. "Yes...Look, Malcolm, I don't know how to say this, but...there are limits. There have to be limits, to what you can do. I don't want to make any accusations here, or imply anything, but..."

"Everything has to be above board, transparent." Reed said. "I understand."

Archer relaxed slightly. "Good, good. So any interrogation session will have to be recorded, all footage open for review---"

"---By the relevant authorities only." Reed put in.

Archer tilted his head in acknowledgement. "Fair enough. There should be medical personnel present, and at least one UESPA officer. That should counter any possible claims of the military running riot."

"T'pol should be present when we question the Vulcan woman, as well." Reed said. "Assuming we do question her. It would be wise to work on all three prisoners, but I'm not sure how that'd play out, diplomatically."

Rubbing the back of his neck wearily, Archer sighed. "Yeah. She may well have vital information, but questioning a foreign national opens up a whole can of worms. Tough decision."

"That's why they pay you the big money, boss."

Archer snorted in amusement. "I'll have to ask T'pol her opinion. Y'know, overall she's been very helpful. I might suggest some sort of exchange program when we get home. Anyway, we're getting off topic. I'll draw up a list of questions I need answered. I'm sure Commander Hernandez will have some of her own."

"I can think of a few myself." The marine said. He thought for a moment. "It's tempting, though."

Archer raised an eyebrow.

Reed continued. "When you look at what they've done. Kidnapping and torturing the Premier. Murdering everyone on the Rexus station. Destroying the T'dara Len and it's crew. Trying to kill the Ithenites. Sometimes I ask myself, if they ain't going to play by the rules, why should we?"

"Are we the good guys, or the bad guys, Malcolm?" Archer asked softly.

"Definitely the good guys, sir."

"But how can you be so sure?"

"Well, I do own a white hat." he said flippantly. In a more serious tone he added "I think we can agree though that those who attacked Rexus station were pretty evil."

"And that automatically makes us good? The Soviet Union under Stalin was hardly a beacon of light and decency, but they were attacked by Hitler's Germany." Archer shook his head. "No. You can't just say 'they are evil, they attacked us, therefore we must be good'. That leads you into the trap."

"What trap?" Reed asked, opening the next bulkhead hatch and holding it open.

"Thanks. The trap of perceiving everything you do as being acceptable, because you're the one doing it. 'Is torturing a prisoner acceptable? Well, I'm doing it, I know right is on my side, so therefore it must be'. Some of the greatest evils in history were caused by people assuming they had moral authority, instead of actually making sure."

The hatch now secure behind them, they continued on their way. "Back when I was in the ranks, one of my officers argued that torture could be justified to save lives, or really important stuff like that." Reed said.

"So in other words, he was for torture. Think about it. No one ever suggests torture should be used for unimportant things, asking someone if they'd like sugar in their coffee, or what their favourite colour is. Saying 'I will never use torture, except when it is appropriate' is like saying 'I would never steal, unless I had the opportunity and thought I could get away with it'. A meaningless distinction."

"Alright, alright, I'm convinced." Reed held up his hands in mock surrender. "Besides which, one thing I did learn in advanced training, as an interrogation tool torture is bloody inefficient. Great if you want some poor fool signing a confession or something, next to useless for intelligence gathering."

"So what did you let me ramble on for?"

"Just wanted to hear your views. And..." he trailed off.

They'd reached the hatch to the bridge. Archer paused with his hand on the locking wheel. "What is it Malcolm?"

"During my career, I've done some things. Some things I'm not proud of."

For a moment it looked as if he'd say more. Then he snapped off a salute, turned sharply, and was gone.

"Captain on the bridge." Hernandez announced.

"As you were. Status please."

Quickly she filled him in on the details. The Enterprise was now clear of the planet's gravity well. Main power was running at a little over eighty four percent, the warp drive was heated and on standby. The hostile vessel was maintaining it's position. No sign of any other craft. They'd managed to collect some debris from Hotel 6.

He thanked her, and gave her Partridge's life support cylinder, explaining the significance of the red/green line, before taking his seat.

"Alright, check in with all departments, make sure they're ready for warp. Haleh, plot a course for the Rexus system, we've got a Premier to deliver and a President to pick up."

"Already on the board sir." the navigator said.

"Good work. In fact, everyone's done sterling work today, I'm going to..." he broke off to stifle a yawn, "excuse me, I'm going to recommend commendations for your actions."

"Tired, Captain?" Hernandez asked.

"Busy day. I'll be alright. Maybe need some coffee, that's all."

The comms officer looked up. "All stations report ready. The chief engineer has given us clearance for warp."

Archer held back another yawn. "Thank you. Begin the thirty second countdown...now."

"Aye Captain." Mayweather said. The digital countdown above the viewscreen flickered on, and a distant hum rose in pitch and volume. "Engines are powering up, all lights show green."

Five chimes rang out automatically, as a final reminder.

"Departure corridor is clear." Moshiri reported.

Mayweather continued. "Warp speed in three...two...one...now!"

Enterprise shuddered as she leapt to warp. It seemed more noticeable than usual, more pronounced, to Hernandez. Perhaps the damage to the secondary hull had unbalanced the ship slightly. Once the ship had passed the speed of light the shuddering faded.

"All stations report secure captain." said the comms officer. "Captain?"

Hernandez looked over, and chuckled. Archer was fast asleep.

4. Duncan MacLeod

Very nice, Badger. I agree with Archer's evaluation on evil/torture. It's very easy to fall into that trap. Looking forward to the wrap up in the coming weeks. Are you planning to continue writing or will this be a stand-alone story? Either way well done.

5. USS Avenger

USS Avenger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Good chapter. You handled the ratcheting down from the high paced action to a more normal (though certainly not routine) pace very well and without it getting at all boring. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Your "rambling" ethics discussion was also well done. Torture very rarely if ever gives accurate results. Granted there are times when circumstances can bring frontline soildiers close to and even over the edge on this. Again well done.

Actually, this reminds me of a joke I heard long ago. It may not be PC, but than again neither am I.

American, Israeli, British and Syrian Inteligence agents are arguing over which nation's intel service is the best. They decide to each release a donkey into the desert and whoever finds their's the fastest is the winner. The Americans go first and immediatly launch AWACS and JSTARS aircraft, mobilize an entire MEF and retask two satellites. Within 2 hours they have found their donkey.

The British go next, they send in a single SAS team and within two hours they have located and detained their donkey. Likewise the Israeli Mossad takes only two hours of intense clandestine effort to find their donkey. The Syrians are the last to go and are quite confident that they will win. Their donkey is released into the desert. One hour goes by, than two, than three. The hours stretch into days. A week later the other three agents approach their Syrian counterparts wondering how long this will take them. As they approach they hear bleating and screaming. They enter a small room wondering what the hell is going on. Inside they find the Syrians are beating a camel, trying to make it confess it is a donkey. :guffaw:

Ok ok maybe its not that funny, but it did make me chuckle.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
    Duncan MacLeod likes this.
  6. The Badger

As you say, Avenger, that's not very PC. But it did make me laugh.:guffaw:

Duncan, although it's rather hard work I do enjoy writing, and I certainly intend to do more. What I was thinking of, though, was opening it up to anyone who is interested. If anyone fancies writing in my version of Trek, I'd be interested in seeing what they come up with.

7. USS Avenger

You MUST continue this series! Your freetime is irrelevent, other writers are irrelevent, you must comply :borg:

Seriously, while I am not going to tell someone they should continue their hard work for the benefit of others with no compensation, I do hope you continue this story past "Broken Bow". Watching this story evolve has been a alot of fun, and I really want to see whats next. Not to slight other fanfic writers, but I doubt many could display the attention to detail that you have with regards to this series. Besides who else could write Polly the way you do?

Well maybe Ducan could, but those stories are not fit for this forum...:p

8. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I like your style-please don't quit. There are days when yours is the only decent thing I have to read.

9. adm_gold

adm_gold Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree. Please continue!

10. Duncan MacLeod

I don't think even I could do Polly justice. Although I'll be happy to return the favor and beta-read for you. :techman:

And I don't write those kinds of stories, Avenger. At least not often. :devil:;)

11. The Badger

OK, apologies for not updating recently. I've had a busy time at work, plus a virus got on my computer. And I've got a very busy week coming up. So it'll be a while till the next part.:(

On the plus side, I have had an idea for a sequel. Something rather shorter though!

12. Duncan MacLeod

Not to worry, Badger. Your loyal readers will wait.

We may not like waiting, but we all understand how real life can intrude on things.

Sorry to hear of your virus. Hope you're able to clear it out of your system.

13. USS Avenger

I hate waiting...:klingon:

But, as Duncan says real life trumps anything that goes on online. Glad to hear that you are planning a sequel. Get your computer some chicken soup and get rid of that virus! :)

14. BooThePun

BooThePun Ensign Red Shirt

Just caught up on the story and wanted to say I'm enjoying it immensely. If the "real" Enterprise had been this good, I may actually have watched it!

Looking forward to more. :techman:

15. The Badger

OK, the virus is pretty much sorted, and I've got a couple of days free so I'll be able to make a start on the next part. No promises as to when it'll be finished though!

We're onto the final stretch now, just wrapping up the loose ends and giving a (hopefully) satisfactory conclusion, whilst still leaving things open for a continuation.

BooThePun, glad to have you on board, especially at this late stage.

16. Scotchyn

Scotchyn Cadet Newbie

been following since the beginning...its been a great read!!!

17. The Badger

Thanks, Scotchyn, good to have you with us!

Rexus Station.
    28th May 2151.

"It sounds like you've had quite the adventure, Captain Archer." President Chandraskar said, taking a sip of iced tea.

Archer smiled ruefully. "It was a bit more excitement than we anticipated, Mr President."

Captain Tavik of the Vulcan Defence Fleet said "Assuming, of course, that Archer's account is correct." There was no overt malice in his tone, but Archer had been around Vulcans long enough to recognise the near contempt in his expression, and found himself gritting his teeth.

He looked round. The conference chamber was set deep within the Rexus station, and hadn't been damaged in the attack. Vulcan repair crews had done sterling work, and over half the station was now habitable again, though some sections were still far too hazardous to enter.

The chamber was large, and simply but elegantly appointed. An oval conference table occupied the centre of the room. The President, flanked by advisers, took pride of place on one side. Opposite, in the place normally held by the Premier, sat a very small, very old woman called T'pen. She had been introduced as one of the Vulcan Honoured Elders, which, Archer knew, meant she was very important to their politics. Although they had no official power, the words of an Honoured Elder carried much weight. Apparently, this little old lady with the look of a beloved grandmother had been Premier herself, before First Contact with Earth.

To T'pen's left sat Tavik, acting as military liaison. Ambassador Soval sat to her right. Others stood behind, ready to carry out any orders she might give.

Archer and his people were sat at one end of the table, the focus of attention.

T'pol, next to Soval, said "Although I was not present for every incident in Captain Archer's narrative, I can confirm it is, in general, factually correct. In particular, the account of the rescue of the Premier is entirely accurate."

It might have been Archer's imagination, but it looked like a flicker of irritation danced across Tavik's features. And something he didn't imagine, Soval smiled. It was very subtle. No one would have noticed if they hadn't been looking at the right instant. That was deliberate! He wanted me to see that, timed it so I was looking right at him. But why...Of course! T'pol is Soval's protoge. But the indifference towards humans she showed at the start of the mission would not have been in any ones best interests. Now, she has begun to accept and understand us.

"Yet there are aspects of this story that do not stand up to scrutiny." Tavik insisted. "For example, the concept that two human females could prevail against an Orion Animal Man in melee combat stretches credulity."

Archer leant forward. "So you have ascertained that the being in the cargo bay was one of these Orion slaves?"

Soval nodded. "It seems likely. The biological data from the finger you provided, plus the visual imagery, do match with what little we already know about that species. I agree," he added, turning to Tavik, "it is unlikely that they could win. But unlikely does not equate to impossible. Naturally we will study the visual records in great detail, to determine the true nature of events,as they happened."

This, Archer realised, was a polite way of saying 'we are going to check for fakery'. That was understandable, but it still rankled.

"It must also be born in mind that both Lieutenant Sato and Corporal James are formidable combatants, for humans." T'pol added.

Soval's eyebrow lifted. "Indeed?"

"I have had the opportunity to observe their training sessions on many occasions. Furthermore, Corporal James and I have sparred. I suspect that she wanted to see what I am capable of, without revealing the entirety of her own skills. She fought well, and I believe she deliberately lost to prevent me learning all of her techniques. A simple, yet effective stratagem."

I'm not half the gambler Hoshi is, heck, I'm not a tenth the gambler she is, but I'd bet real money T'pol was doing the same thing, Archer thought. She couldn't lose on purpose, that would look suspicious given the strength of Vulcans, but she didn't fight at her best. I'm certain of it.

"So you believe those two women could defeat an Orion Animal Man?" Tavik asked.

T'pol considered this. "I am satisfied that such an event is possible."

The elderly T'pen leant forward. In a heavily accented voice like the rustle of dried leaves she asked "And whom, Captain Archer of Earth, whom do you believe responsible for these criminal acts?"

Archer took a sip of tea, using the moment to gather his thoughts. "A difficult question. We have our suspicions."

"Forgive the interruption, Honoured Elder," Tavik said, ignoring Archer, "but we know who is ultimately responsible."

"We do?" Archer asked.

Tavik shot him a contemptuous glance. "Now that the Premier is being attended by Vulcan physicians, he has regained consciousness and given his own account. He was held, and tortured, by Andorians."

"Andorians." T'pen mused. "This is evil news. The cease fire has held for many years, but the peace treaty is not yet signed. This could lead us back to war."

Tavik sat back. "It is a war we can win." he stated confidently.

"The Andorians." Archer said. "We know little of them, save that there have been hostilities between your two people for decades. Is this an Andorian?"

He pushed a pad across the table to Tavik. The display showed a head and shoulders shot of a male alien with blue skin, white hair, and two antennae sprouting from his forehead. The Vulcan captain gave it a cursory glance. "It is."

"Are you certain?" Archer asked.

"Entirely."

Archer took another sip of tea, and gestured to the pad. "Press play."

Tavik hesitated, then hit the control. On the display the 'Andorian' reached up with two pink hands, peeling the blue 'skin' and white wig up and off to reveal the features of Charles Tucker the third, who smiled.

So did Archer. "Our own physician is rather good. The Premier woke more than a week ago. He told us his story. His kidnapping from this very station was carried out by people in full environmental suits. He could not identify their species. During most of his ordeal he was kept sedated. When he was awake, he was tortured by two -apparent- Andorians. But as that little demonstration shows, with a bit of make up it's easy to mislead people. We were able to fake that mask using material commonly available on our own ship. With some proper cosmetics it could be even more convincing."

Tavik shook his head. "You seek to divert us from the truth."

"For what purpose?" Archer barked. "When we first met you were convinced it could only be humans responsible for this. Now a better target has come along, you're happy to switch your sights."

"You do not believe the Andorians are involved." said T'pen, a statement not a question.

Archer spread his hands wide. "I honestly cannot say that I know one way or the other. I do know this however. So far, there is no independently verifiable evidence of Andorian involvement. Only the Premier's account points to that. The station we discovered had environmental conditions set to the human standard. The technology that made it seemed to be a mix of human and Vulcan, with a few others. Not Andorian though."

"How can you be sure? By your own account you know next to nothing of Andorians." Tavik crowed.

"I do." T'pol said simply. "I served in the last war. I saw no trace of any Andorian presence."

Soval considered this. "Then why the Andorian disguises? An attempt to reignite the conflict between our two species?"

Archer nodded. "Possibly. T'pol tells me that there is still a lot of bad feeling on both sides. An incident such as this could easily lead to war."

"Yet that occurrence would only come to pass if we of Vulcan believe the Andorians are at fault." T'pen said. "For that, we must hear the Premier's words. How could this be done, if he is held by conspirators?"

"A good question. Here we can only speculate, although what we have learned from our prisoners gives us some clues. I suspect that the conspirators would have found some way to return the Premier to you. Perhaps ransoming him back to you, or placing him at a location from which you could rescue him. The most likely scenario, a Yridian would sell you information that somehow helps you to retrieve him. However it happens, you get the Premier back, along with false information about his abductors."

One of T'pen's aides leant forward. "Such an approach is inefficient. It would be simpler to kill the Premier here at this station, and leave forensic evidence of Andorian involvement."

Hernandez, sat next to Archer, said "Only if you have something you can use as evidence. Andorian weaponry or equipment."

"Furthermore, that assumes the conspirators want the Premier dead," Archer added, "or at least are unconcerned as to his fate."

Soval was clearly intrigued. "You suspect they wanted the Premier returned alive. For what purpose?"

"I'll get to that in a moment. First, I'd like to answer Honoured Elder T'pen's earlier question. Who is responsible? The honest answer, we don't know. This is the sort of thing it will take a major criminal investigation to unravel. Still, we have our suspicions. Whoever it is has some influence in Earth's Military. The young man we captured claimed to be a member of UEMA. On questioning him, we learned that he'd served less than six months before being discharged."

"It seems that he had links to the terrorist group, Terra Prime. An illegal organisation. A dishonourable discharge is the minimum he could expect." Hernandez added. "Yet he claims that just two months later, he was recalled to duty, joining a joint human/Vulcan operations group."

Tavik's brow creased. "I know of no such group."

"Me neither." Hernandez said. "From the look of things, some one with a lot of resources has been recruiting ex-UEMA personnel, building up a substantial crew for that station."

"Not just UEMA. We also captured a worker manufacturing assault rifles." Archer said. "He's told us little, but Reed's men have got some information out of him. Again, links with Terra Prime, and a mysterious job offer, supposedly for the military, but there's no proof of that. He was smuggled off Earth, he's not sure of the details himself, and has been working on that station ever since."

President Chandrasakar nodded slowly. "There have been reports of mysterious disappearances. Many people, with either military background, or skills useful to a military infrastructure. General Kaplasky even suggested someone was building a private army, but there was no evidence of that. But then, we were looking on Earth."

"A private army, believing they work for United Earth." Archer said.

"Does the organisation Terra Prime have the resources to carry out these acts?" Soval asked.

"More importantly, would such a prejudiced organisation work with Vulcans,Yridians, or Orions, as you claim they have?" Tavik added.

"To answer your question first, Captain Tavik, yes. Yes they would, if it suited their purpose. They wouldn't like it, but they'd do it. And no, ambassador, Terra Prime is not believed to have anywhere near the resources necessary. To be honest, I don't think they are involved. Whoever is behind this seems to have recruited people with the skills and mindset they need. Two of these people are linked to the terrorist organisation, but that doesn't mean the conspiracy is, apart from using them as a recruitment pool."

For a Vulcan, Tavik showed his annoyance easily. "Then who is responsible?"

Archer glanced to Reed, sat to his right. The marine spoke. "There's an old Earth adage, useful in criminal investigations. 'Follow the money'. Let's look at who might benefit from this. As I understand it, the main reason for these trade talks was to establish joint mining operations. Now I'm no business analyst, but it looks like the proposed operations involved government owned mining companies, both from Earth and Vulcan. Privately owned corporations simply were not in the running."

"This is correct." Soval said.

"Well, given the riches within the system, that's a lot of motivation for some sort of underhand activity. Sabotage the trade talks, ensure the government plan doesn't go ahead. With the station destroyed the Vulcan government would have no effective presence in this system. No way to control or administer it."

Tavik thought this over. "We are not so far from an outpost that we cannot patrol this system."

Hernandez leant forward. "But would that be enough? As I understand it, under interplanetary law Vulcan would need to maintain a permanent presence in order to lay claim to the Rexus system. The occasional patrol just wouldn't hack it."

Glancing round nervously Reed added "There are no habitable planets in this system. With this station destroyed, the Vulcans would have to surrender ownership."

Archer gave Reed a sideways glance, wondering if he was alright. A few days ago Professor Partridge had insisted that the marines watch a couple of movies, the source of the 'Check it out, me and my squad of ultimate bad asses' quote she'd made in the shuttle bay. There was little enthusiasm amongst them, none were interested in old movies, but Reed had reluctantly agreed. Since then all the marines had seemed jumpy and on edge, sticking together in groups and keeping an eye on shadowy corners. Apparently, Trip Tucker had received a number of requests to cobble together flame-throwers...

Tavik pointed out "A new station could be built. It would take time and resources, but it could be done."

Archer smiled, without humour. "And what if Vulcan could not spare such resources? What if---"

He was interrupted by T'pen. "Conflict with the Andorians. Simply the threat of conflict. That would take our attention, our ships, our people. We could not spare what is needed to rebuild this station."

Archer was slightly irritated that she'd worked it out for herself. He'd got his big reveal speech planned out, and had been looking forward to it. Still, she is an Honoured Elder. You don't get that title unless you've got some smarts. "Precisely. And consider this. Any war, or threat of war, requires resources. You wouldn't be able to keep hold of Rexus. At the same time you'd need the metals and minerals present in the system. So what would you do?"

Soval thought for a moment. He rested his elbows on the table, steepling his fingers in front of his face. "Under those circumstances, the most logical course of action would be to ensure we get the resources by other means. Simply abandoning the system would allow any third party to take it. This can not be allowed. We could turn to a trusted ally for help. The Tellarites would be acceptable, but I do not believe they have the resources to carry out the required task. The same goes for the other local species. Earth might be suitable..."

President Chandrasakar spread his hands wide. "Sadly, we would be unable to help. We have sufficient resources at present to assist Vulcan in the exploitation of this system---that is, after all, what these talks were intended to discuss---but we can not at present do the task ourselves. Apart from anything else we have no local base of operations."

For the first time this meeting Tavik seemed to be taking the ideas seriously. "We would have to turn to a private company, and allow commercial exploitation of the system. We would naturally ensure that any contracts are favourable to the Vulcan government, but the potential profits to whomever gains the mining rights would still be exceptionally high."

18. The Badger

(Continued. I exceeded the character limit!)

Archer placed his hands on the table. "So. The Rexus station is destroyed, the Premier is missing. Some time later he is recovered, claiming the Andorians did it. Tension, along the border. Ship construction is increased in anticipation of war. Material is needed. And then...and then the Vulcan government is contacted by a privately owned company, who just happen to have the resources needed to do the job."

T'pen looked thoughtful for a moment. With a tiny gesture, she summoned one of her aides, who leant in close to her. They talked for a few moments in hushed tones. Then the aide straightened up and went back to his place.

"We know of a company. Recently it has established an outpost, in a system seven light years away. This is strange to us. There is no sign of worthwhile business prospects there. If the situation as you describe arose, Captain Archer, they are in prime position to take control of the Rexus system." T'pen said.

"Let me guess," said Archer, who wasn't guessing, "Tagron Industries."

"How do you know that? Espionage?" Tavik demanded.

Archer smiled thinly. "Not at all. Simple logic."

Hernandez had to force herself not to laugh at the sight of so many right eyebrows raising simultaneously. It almost looked choreographed.

"Kindly explain, Captain." Soval said.

"Well, obviously it would have to be a company that is experienced in mining, has the equipment and expertise. That leaves a number of suspects. But, as we have seen, it would also have to have the resources to secretly build a ship construction site in the Theta Iota system, as well as crew it with humans thinking they are working for United Earth."

"That is a problem, Captain, Tagron has no links with the Earth government or military. Neither could any Earth company have such links to Vulcan. The legalities of our treaty forbid it." said Soval.

"But there's nothing to stop independent privately owned companies having such links An Earth company has links to both the Earth military and a Vulcan company. Said Vulcan company has links to the Vulcan government. Malcolm?"

"OK, quick history lesson." Reed began. He hesitated, marshalling his thoughts.

Tavik misinterpreted the delay. "You may speak freely. This chamber is shielded. You cannot be overheard."

Reed shot Archer a knowing glance and ironic smile, before continuing. "About thirty years ago deep space probes discovered a world, barely habitable, but with all sorts of minerals we needed. For various reasons it was decided to let private enterprise take control. A number of businesses joined together, forming the Alpha Conglomerate. As there was no workforce in the system, they had to establish Earth's first privately funded colony."

"The Alpha colony." Tavik observed.

"Precisely. Now establishing a colony, populating it, well, that's one heck of a task. So Alpha hired a very large number of ships and crews to ferry colonists and equipment. Hired them from Tagron. The two companies have been very closely linked ever since."

Archer added "During the Axanar war Alpha manufactured Neptune class ships, amongst other designs, for UEMA. They have links in the government and military still."

Soval said "So they provide the support to allow Tagron to claim the Rexus system. Tagron profits. What benefit for Alpha?"

"My guess is that after Tagron establish control, they simply subcontract a lot of the work to Alpha. Considering the resources in this system, both companies can make a tidy profit while still fulfilling the contractual obligations to the Vulcan government."

"Logical." T'pen observed."It is to be hoped that no Vulcan business would behave so unethically. Hope does not equate truth, alas. Would Alpha behave in such a manner?"

"Oh yes." Reed said bitterly. "During the Axanar war, when demand for resources was at a high, the colonists were practically slaves. Forced to work twenty hour shifts, minimum rations, no health care. Maximum productivity at minimum cost. When they organised a revolt, the Conglomerate used their military connections. Troops were sent in, to put down the 'terrorist uprising'. We didn't learn the truth until later."

"When we found out, after the war, there was an enquiry." Hernandez said. "But by that time the people responsible had managed to cover their tracks. Oh, there were a few middle management types who faced charges, and the stock value took a major hit, but the company was too deeply entrenched, had too many connections."

Archer pinched the bridge of his nose, suddenly very weary. "A lot of this is speculation. There's no evidence to link either Tagron or Alpha to this, nothing substantial."

"It is...intriguing, never the less. It warrants further investigation." Tavik said. "There is one matter that eludes me."

"Only one?" Archer asked wryly. "Go ahead."

"You stated that you found a second thromium source within the station. What was it?"

The three Enterprise officers exchanged amused glances. Archer reached down and put a case on the table. He opened it, turning it to display it's contents to the Vulcans. "Recognise this?"

"A pacemaker." said Soval.

"Of Vulcan manufacture." Tavik added.

One of T'pen's aides stepped forward, running a small scanner over the device. "The serial number is that of the Premier's implant."

"Right." Archer said. "This one was actually in the Premier's chest when we rescued him. We'd found a second one, apparently identical, nearby. We couldn't be sure which was which, so I had Doctor Locke remove this one surgically. Given his condition, the Premier was on life support anyway, so it's removal would not harm him. So. Two pacemakers, identical down to the serial number. We just could not work out which was the real one. By the way, Locke suggested that the main reason for the torture was to hide any signs of the operation to swap the devices.
    "Eventually our Professor Partridge worked it out. It was an idea so out there, so bizarre, that---"

"---That only Professor Partridge could think of it." Hernandez quipped.

"Yeah. In fact she'd probably like to tell you about it herself. "

Tavik raised his hands to the small control panel in the table in front of him. "I shall deactivate the security screens, so you may contact your ship."

Before he could do so, a light flashed. "Curious. Enterprise is hailing us." He lowered the energy fields that prevented communications. "Enterprise, this is Rexus station."

"Why hello there! Right, yes, Captain Archer is right, I would like to tell you about the pacemaker."

"One moment. Are you able to hear our conversation? This room is shielded against all means of espionage." Tavik said.

"All known means of espionage." the professor corrected.

Soval's eyebrows raised. "The pacemaker?"

"Got it in one, ambassador. You see, active thromium emits waves that can be detected far away. The exact distance depends on local conditions, but in a standard atmosphere, with specialist equipment about the size of a large suitcase, it could be detected a couple of hundred kilometres away. Now, whoever built this device, and it's a work of genius by the way, has managed to include passive audio sensors capable of detecting sounds around the pacemaker, and transmitting it as modulations of the thromium wave. Obviously, with it being embedded in someone's chest there'd be a lot of interference, but this can be filtered out. The audio sensors are built with nanotechnology. You might find them if you were looking for them, but they wouldn't show on a normal scan. And the waves can pass through all known matter and energy fields. Including your spy screens."

Archer said "Imagine how useful it would be to hear all the Premier hears. Use the information, sell it to others...even if he were to step down, well..."

T'pen nodded. "As an Honoured Elder he would still be privy to much of value."

"We don't think it was the whole point of the incident." Hernandez said. "But as their plan involved kidnapping the Premier anyway, they probably thought this would be a useful side benefit."

Very slowly, with the aid of two walking sticks, T'pen stood. "There is no evidence to prosecute Tagron. Nor, I suspect, Alpha. But suspicions are raised. Our eye shall be upon them.
    "Captain Archer. On behalf of the Vulcan government, and people, I thank you for your efforts on our behalf, and the safe return of our Premier."

Archer stood, and bowed. "It is our honour to serve."

"And now I must rest, and consider what has been said. Do not leave for Earth yet, Captain Archer. I would see your ship."

"I think a tour can be arranged, at your convenience."

T'pen, escorted by the other Vulcans, left. At the door T'pol turned and raised her hand in the traditional salute. "Captain, Commander, Lieutenant. I do not know if my duties will allow me to see you again before you depart, so I shall take my leave of you now. Live long, and prosper."

Archer saluted back. "Peace, and long life. Farewell, T'pol."

After she had left he turned to the others. "You know, she fitted into the crew quite well in the end. I think I will suggest some sort of officer exchange scheme. See if we can get her back sometime."

"We'd have to do something about those robes she wears though." Hernandez pointed out. "Every time I tried to pass her I'd trip over them."

Reed suggested flippantly "Well there's always the elastic pressure suit..."

He was startled by Partridge's voice, having forgotten she was still on the communicator. "Are you kidding? Some leggy, busty babe, squeezed into a ludicrously tight outfit? What would we need one of those for?"

Archer grinned.

19. Duncan MacLeod

I could offer Polly some suggestions. :drool: Another time perhaps. ;)

Damn, but that was good. :techman:

And here I had figured Kaplasky for the bad guy ... er, girl. :devil:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  20. BooThePun

BooThePun Ensign Red Shirt

Another excellent addition. Thanks!