Spoilers Starship Design in Star Trek: Picard

This is something I keep noticing as a comment from the art department and writers on Disco, SNW, and Picard. Is nobody on the production telling the VFX people “no, that’s not how it was designed” and just letting them put whatever they want on the screen? Or are they throwing the VFX under the bus?
You have reminded me of the really silly biff in SNW 2.01 where the VFX team inserted the NCC-1279 CG model at a Starbase 1 berth, which I would normally praise as a reasonable attempt to fill the background with detail...except that the ship is upside down, with the registry accordingly visible to the audience as such...and NCC-1279 is supposed to be a unique kitbash of stolen parts in the false flag terror plot in a different sector at the episode's climax. What kind of production coordination is this?

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Unnamed_Federation_starships_(23rd_century)#1279_type_001

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/NCC-1279_type#Background_information

It is important to know where Vadic got the ship from. Like @Dukhat says, that no further background on it was given shows how inconsequential the Rogue Changelings ultimately were for the overall plot.

Normally you don’t need an explanation where somebody got a ship from because it’s obvious - Klingons command a Klingon ship, Romulans have a Romulan ship, etc.

Kruge was supposed to have stolen the birb of prey from the Romulans in STIII but it was changed into being a Klingon BOP so less explaining was needed.

The Instagram logs even revealed where the Elachi frigates came from that were used to board Crusher’s ship.

It’s not just about the story, it’s about characters and avoiding obvious plotholes. How can a bunch of changelings have a starship? Where is it from or how did they acquire it?

I’m assuming it was something they found (either stolen from the Section 31 station or at an abandoned Dominion base post-war.) I don’t see them actually building it from scratch.

Just the fact that people are asking the question means that it’s more important than you seem to think it is.
Not a lot of people

According to Dave Blass they just acquired it somewhere, it wasn’t significant enough to warrant a backstory.

They could have stole it, they could have bought it, who knows.

Well, this fan would rather have been told where the Shrike came from in the ten seconds it would have taken to explain it, rather than the ten seconds it took to tell that dumb Ent-E joke. Which also wasn’t important to the story.

The Instagram logs even revealed where the Elachi frigates came from that were used to board Crusher’s ship.
Those ships were Elachi in origin?? I hadn't heard of that. The things I miss sometimes...

I still wish the Borg upgrades of Nero's ship had stayed canon. That's another one of those things that could have added to the richness of the world being built without going too overboard.

Back