Starship design history in light of Discovery

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by INACTIVEUSS Einstein, Nov 18, 2017.

1. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Unofficially, behind the scenes, yes. It’s a pattern.

Markonian likes this.
  2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Reminds me of this thing I read about the USS Franklin from STB. I think pretty much everyone (myself included) assumed that it was named after Benjamin Franklin or some other historical figure with the same last name. To my surprise, it was named after Frank Lin, who was the father of STB director Justin Lin.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    saddestmoon and Agony_Boothb like this.
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think its fun if it is left ambiguous and people can think what they like.

saddestmoon and Markonian like this.
  4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Like the U.S.S. Archer seen on the readout screen in NEM. Could be named after Jonathan Archer. Could be named after Henry Archer.

Both men were critical in mankind's early deep space efforts.

DEWLine likes this.
  5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Both wrong. It was named after this guy.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1486217/

6. cooleddie74

You want Cardassian voles? Because that's how you get Cardassian voles.

Dukhat and David cgc like this.
  7. JamesRye

JamesRye Captain Captain

I love this video. It's from Junkball Media - funny and insightful, many of his videos focus on Starship minutia.

8. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That channel produces a modest amount of videos but they are always worth watching

Gaith, Sci, Gepard and 3 others like this.
  9. lightspeedbear

lightspeedbear Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Great video, I hadn't seen that YouTube account before.

As for the ship, I hadn't seen these images of it! I didn't think it could look any uglier but here we are... :ack::ack::ack:

[​IMG]

10. lightspeedbear

I also didn't realise the ship design/that awful scene in space was so rushed. It makes complete sense now.

11. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

It's a pretty goofy looking ship, especially from the front angle, my god!

Honestly, I hated the design in the show and double hated that they used a whole crap load of them to try and hide how boring and silly the design is (by way of making it even more obvious!)...BUT, as is with pretty much all goofy looking Federation ships, it has annoyingly grown on me by way of unique charm. Even the idiotic front view is at least 'cute' in an ugly duckling sort of way to me now, as long as I don't have to see 200 of them at once.

So are those grills the modern technology for for the deflector dish? Or is it the dark notch in the front of the saucer the dish? Also, are the white boxes along the saucer rim giant windows or something else? There's very little obvious technology and those windows look super odd. There seem to be a row of windows going down the back but would those be skylights in the actual deck? Windows don't often make sense in ship design but here they look real slapped on.

12. fireproof78

Love that ship.

saddestmoon likes this.
  13. lightspeedbear

The enormous impulse engines and giant shuttlebay compared with the toothpick slim nacelle pylons that look like they would snap after one battle... are at least good for a chuckle :lol:

I appreciate this was a rushed 1 hour job, which in itself is sad that it had to come to that, but Trek desperately needs a new ship designer imo.

14. fireproof78

More variety is always appreciated. But, I have been very happy with the ships designed thus far, aside from the Section 31 ships.

15. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I quite like the front and back shots of the Inquiry Class - somewhere on the Interwebs, I have seen a modified pic, with glowing grill and impulse drives.

it’s growing on me!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    cooleddie74 likes this.
  16. cooleddie74

I've always liked it to a degree, it was just hampered by its lack of surface detailing and insignia.

Dr. Horrible and saddestmoon like this.
  17. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Should this be in the Picard ship thread?

DEWLine and saddestmoon like this.
  18. JamesRye

JamesRye Captain Captain

I don't know, I mean Eaves has come up with some great stuff over the years. I know that certain design decisions/changes were forced on him. Before his Facebook account was deleted (over the whole 25% different comments), he wrote about how he didn't want to change the look of the TOS ship. He also talked about how he was told that he absolutely could not have round nacelles on the Disco ships - I think that edict came from Fuller.

Its strange how DISCO breaks with the design lineage - but Lower Decks seems to want to stick extremely closely to it.

saddestmoon likes this.
  19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Exactly. The Zheng He is from PIC. This is the DSC forum.

saddestmoon likes this.
  20. lightspeedbear

It's funny to see him say things like that because when I think of an Eaves design I think of angular lines and his nacelles since well before Discovery have been the opposite of 'round'. I'm not really a fan of his work tbh. Even if he manages to design something that looks nice, practicality or common sense tends to go out the window. That's what makes a true designer, for it to look good and fit within the world and make sense.