Star Wars rewatch

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Finn, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I'm doing a bit of a Star Wars rewatch.

I'm a bit taken back, now on A New Hope, by one thought. There's no way Owen Lars didn't mention Obi-Wan before they were killed by the stormtroopers, not to mention their step-nephew.... It mus be a hell of a stroke of luck that the little information didn't make it to Vader.

Qonundrum likes this.
  2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

A New Hope is a strange outlier when compared to the rest of the franchise, much like the original Star Trek.

Qonundrum and Finn like this.
  3. Finn

Geez. If they ever decide to remaster ANH again, I would make the final lightsaber fight between Obi-Wan and Vader look like the Yoda/Dooku fight..... Their tapping the sabers look so...tame.

N-121973 likes this.
  4. yotsuya

yotsuya Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There are some fan edits that really ramp up that saber duel. Though I don't think it is necessary. I think the original version shows a bit of fear on Vader's part (he speaks with confidence, but this is the guy who cut off three limbs and left him to die). The strikes are tentative compared to the other duels, but it is more a duel of words than sabers. The music in one area where it doesn't match. The only other time that imperial theme has been used was in Solo. It lacks Vader's theme and there are some ways it can be put in. There is a guy who has been working on a Revisited version (one of the ones who improved the saber dual) that fixes a lot of issues.

Qonundrum likes this.
  5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would not like that. The Yoda/Dooku fight made very little sense and look pretty odd.

I don't mind increasing the energy a bit, especially with the saber effects, but there is no need for Dooku/Yoda style, which, in my opnion, is one of the worst of the PT.

Kor and BillJ like this.
  6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only reason the duel really stands out to me is just that is so different from every other duel in the rest of the franchise. Vader was a lot more active even in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of Jedi, so I don't really see it being explained away by him being in the suit.
    I could see updating it, but I would do it as something closer to the Vader/Luke duel from ESB rather than going for the PT style duel the video from earlier in the thread goes for.

Kor and fireproof78 like this.
  7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eh, not really. This assumes the stormtroopers gave Owen much of a chance to talk. If anything, they probably just asked about the protocol droid and astromech Owen recently purchased. Owen says his nephew has them in town for maintenance, the stormtroopers then shoot the place up, kill Owen and Beru and put an APB out for a teenage male with two droids.

Smellmet likes this.
  8. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nah - Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen were killed because of a domestic dispute:

(Relevent part starts at 4 minutes and 9 seconds in) ;)

Smellmet, Kor and fireproof78 like this.
  9. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was a contemplative Samurai duel, like in those older Jidai-geki films that Lucas liked so much.

Kor

Crewman6 and fireproof78 like this.
  10. Finn

Honestly, aside from pulling debris from the walls and ceilings, I didn't think the Dooku/Yoda was that bad.

As for Owen Lars, I don't buy him telling them that Luke has the droids...without mentioning Obi Wan.

Anyway, Am I crazy or am I seeing scenes I don't remember. The ending of ESB seem different.

11. fireproof78

Which adds more weight to the moment, especially since it was the first time we see them draw their lightsabers, in their current form.

That's why the Obi-Wan and Maul duel in "Rebels" is so fitting.
    It wasn't that good either, since it didn't fit too masters of the Force.

12. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember the fanon in the old days about how all Jedi masters were way beyond lightsabers and were all about the spiritual aspect of "The Force," and that's why Yoda didn't have one in ESB.

I find the Dooku/Yoda duel quite entertaining, actually. But I've always thought the Sidious/Yoda duel was over the top.

Kor

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  13. fireproof78

That one is just as bad as Dooku/Yoda.
    The best part was Yoda Force pushing Sidious over his seat. The Senate scene was not good.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Alright, even if Owen did mention Obi-Wan, by the time they pass it on up the chain of command and word reaches Vader, the Falcon is likely already aboard the Death Star, so it doesn't really make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things anyway, does it?

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure why Owen would mention Obi-Wan. He had no idea that Artoo had escaped and that Luke was on the search for him.

Smellmet, The Wormhole and Crewman6 like this.
  16. Finn

It's called deduction. He mentioned that the astromech they had had a message for someone named Kenobi, over dinner. I don't think Owen is that dense, and he clearly dislikes Kenobi.

Anyway, I noticed that in end of the Return of the Jedi, during the celebration scenes, that the Jedi temple is visible in the background in that Coruscant scene...

17. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

^^this

A thousand times, this. It worked well enough in 1977, and it was exciting. I doubt the recoil over the use of the word "Darth" as uttered by Ben had too much of a negative impact until after the franchise really took off (as TESB in 1980 readily proves), and would not have been any issue had the movie flopped. The f/x were new and novel at the time and their non-casual use was what mattered most.

These cats were from the old republic with their posh way of doing things. Turning Vader into a slapchop slash'n'dash, while looks superficially cool, doesn't have much substance to it unless there's weight to the scene where he has to burst through opposition like when he had to capture Leia in ANH. Oh, wait, he let the Stormtroopers do the bulk of the nasty work- either because he was tired or because he already used up his force battery in "Rogue One" and had to recharge, or because-- why does it matter, the Empire wouldn't need troops if necessary, not when Vader and Ren and that little mystery child with the broom have soooo much power that the guards all get bowled over so fast, why have any guards to begin with if everyone just knows Ardra I mean Vader or Ren could pop by any minute... (that's why SW77 also holds up better, it's keeping a lid and restrictions on how much the Force can be used. Not for whiz-bang flashy scenes but on a more personal level, like a telekinetic choke hold. And to be fair Ren was only holding back one bolt in TFA and not a massive mammoth silly barrage... they missed out on an opportunity for even more empty bling.)