Star Wars: Episode VII: The Nerd Rage Awakens

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by cooleddie74, Jan 13, 2014.

1. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

TNT still shows all of the movies so the general audience still watches the prequels, they just don't care about the "mistakes" in the movies that the fans have been complaining about for a decade.

2. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Heh, heh, good catch. I must have been thinking of The Force Unleashed. It may take a while longer before that one gets ingrained in the brain.

3. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

The thing is, looking at Natalie Portman and Carrie Fisher, then at Daisy Ridley, you could almost believe they are related. While we don't know for sure, the likelihood is that Daisy's character Rey is a Solo/Skywalker.

4. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I'd have to disagree...in my experience, if you say something like "Meesa hungry," people know who you're doing.

:techman:

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

You showed the PT and TCW to your kid first!?!

Why?

6. Ithekro

I recently loaned out one of my copies of Star Wars to a neighbor to show his 3 year old grandson. It took two or three tries to get though it all. It bored him when there wasn't lightsabers or explosions. Not sure if that meant he fell asleep or just wondered off (I wasn't there to watch with them). The grandfather had gone to see a double feature in 1977 with his wife and 3 year old son. The second movie was Star Wars. His son was interested even if he was not so much (not in to sci-fi). His younger brother was born later that year (I was born a month after that) and they wer into Star Wars pretty heavily in the 1980s when they move here. But maybe it just isn't "faster and intense" enough for the modern child?

7. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

The CEO of Orbotix, the company who makes the iPhone controlled Sphero that everyone's been comparing BB-8 to, revealed a few days ago that his company is indeed behind the technology used in the droid.

And now they've announced a BB-8 toy is in the works for release later this year, supposedly operating similar to their existing Sphero ball (controlled via smart phone). :techman:

A listing for the toy was supposedly up at Fat Brain Toys, but has since been taken down after Orbotix caught wind of it.

Link with listing screenshot

8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I will be curious to my kids reaction when I finally introduce them to the movies. I will start with the OT and then the PT, if they are still interested.

9. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Arguably The Best Poster Named cooleddie Moderator

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I don't have any kids, nephews or nieces to show Star Wars movies to, but I have seen little kids gush over seeing cool Star Wars toys and collectibles in stores and it's awesome and heartwarming to see them get excited about movie and TV characters that are usually older than they are and knowing names that were often created when their own parents were little children watching the Original Trilogy.

10. Ithekro

The thing is, they all know Darth Vader. They all know C-3PO and R2-D2 and most know Yoda.

11. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not related to the new movie, but Star Wars so why not.

If this doesn't make you smile even a bit, you might as well join the Dark Side as you have no soul:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv_kVbySmYo[/yt]

12. cooleddie74

It doesn't happen often, but when a little kid knows the name of an alien from the original films it's a sign of good parenting. It's one thing to know who Ahsoka, Captain Rex and Agent Kallus are. When a kid knows what a Gamorrean Guard is, that's just beautiful.

13. Ithekro

"Smile R2". How can you tell?

14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

*insert many moods of R2-D2 picture here*

;)

Other possible jokes include:

"This is my happy face"
    "Make sure to get my good side"

15. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You mean you can't? :wtf:

16. cooleddie74

We know he beeps and boops more loudly and kind of wobbles and shimmies back and forth when he's happy, as shown during ROTJ in particular.

17. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Bad parenting on my part. It turns out that he and his friends are fans of The Clone Wars and watched it on Netflix at their house. My son has not seen the PT yet.

18. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

speaking of parenting, this father tries so hard to get his kid to appreciate the older characters. The reaction of the kid at the end is hilarious
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9QLzJYUg9s[/yt]

19. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I love Star Wars and prefer the OT but the notion that somehow somebody failed at parenting because their kids prefer the PT is kinda crazy. There's definitely 30 years of burn-in at play here.

20. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

I can so understand the annoyed reaction of the father at the end. :lol:

His emotional nerd-reaction to the trailer was really touching. :)