Star Wars: Episode VII: The Nerd Rage Awakens

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by cooleddie74, Jan 13, 2014.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Arguably The Best Poster Named cooleddie Moderator

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    ^
    They always seemed to be some of the more independent-willed of the Clones and after the incident involving Fives and his implant it's possible they - unlike Commander Cody - found ways to unknowingly circumvent the tragedies of Order 66 before it was given.

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

It has a lot of character and visual interest up close with all those lines and edges and different materials. It is alien enough to be intriguing without being overly strange or "weird." From a distance it doesn't read nearly as well though and I can absolutely see where you're getting the duck-billed impression.

3. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Christopher Lee was very ill due to the his viewing of Princess Mononoke, and hence could not act according as Dooku in the last two films. Fear the Miyazaki.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I don't think there is a way to unknowingly
    circumvent the biochip. Tup's malfunctioned due to some exotic viral (?) infection that set him off early and Fives had his surgically removed. IIRC the rest of the clones were to be inoculated to prevent's a repeat of Tup's malfunction.

A somewhat darker possibility presents itself: Rex was triggered with all the rest and was at Vader's side at the temple with the rest or the 501st. At some point after RotS, when the clones are on their way to being replaced in favour of conscripts, he runs across Ahsoka while on some backwater patrol. Perhaps she having already found out about the chips somehow cures Rex and his brothers who all desert the Empire.

Alternatively he and his unit were stranded on some operation, presumed dead and effectively abandoned and so were never triggered. Maybe their chips are still active, maybe not (they probably weren't designed to last this long.)

6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if Fives told Rex about the chip before the hush order was given.

There certainly is a lot of fan speculation that, if Rex was still in the GAR, he would not go along with Order 66. either due to his attachment to Anakin and Ahsoka, or his own discovery as to the purpose of the clones.

I can see a number of reasons of Rex breaking his programing and see him working against the Empire, in some form.

7. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't understand a word of what anyone is saying - I thought this was the movie thread.

8. cooleddie74

You've clearly been seduced by the Dark Side of the Forums.

9. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

It is all one universe. Bleeding over is sort of expected from time to time. Expecially when one does not noticed related thread on Rebels (though it is labeled Season One as Season Two is coming).

10. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes and no - I would wager a significant number of people on this thread have never watched the cartoons, have no interest in watching the cartoons and will never watch the cartoons. So whatever the intended size of the universe, in practical terms for the vast majority of people who will go and see this film it's what is up on screen and nothing else.

That's not an injunction to stop discussing it but rather me saying occasionally people are going to comment along the lines of "what the hell are you people talking about?" :p

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Most likely the latter. I doubt the biochips were designed to leave any element of choice for the clones. Just look at Cody: loyal and companionable to Kenobi one moment, trying to blow him to tiny bits another and without even the slightest hesitation.

It's not just Rex though. Wolfe and a handful of other clones were all there so it seems they all somehow managed to free themselves in more ways than one.

12. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

The panel suggests (a kid asked Dave Falloni) that Rex was told about the chip (and at least a hint of the plot of the Clones was) by Fives before the end of the Clone Wars. Rex might have had something done to himself and some others he trusted. Though somehow missed Cody. They are trying their hardest not to talk about it until the episodes come out.

13. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Which has precisely zero to do with this thread. You've already been given an infraction for spamming. Don't make it worse by persisting in this behavior. :vulcan:

14. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Has it ever been said that they have chips in their heads?
    I always assumed that they were simply conditioned from conception.

15. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

16. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I was confused as to why I'd never heard of the chips, since I watched TCW, then I realized it was from the horrible Season 6, and specifically the stupid arc with Fives. The whole
    "Guy accidentally discovers the truth, and gets killed because he didn't realize he was trying to get the info about the bad stuff to the guy actually doing the bad stuff"
    thing was so irritating I didn't get too far into that arc, so I never heard of the chips, or if I did I surpressed the memory. That whole season sucked. It went from stupid Fives arc to boring Amidala arc to a Jar Jar arc to that bizarre and pointless Yoda arc. I liked TCW, but it was probably a good thing it was cancelled when it was. They were definitely on a downward trend when it came to writing.

17. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Oh yeah. Now that I see the Wookieepedia entry It's coming back to me; I only watched the lost episodes once so far.

Maybe their Pentium chips. :devil:

18. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

*insert Pentium Inside joke here*

Also, I always thought the whole Order 66 thing to be kind of odd. We never saw the full capabilities of the clones in the films, so even though I knew it was coming, it still just sat so oddly.

But, I also think that the prequels would have done better to work more of a TCW style storyline, rather than the brief snippets we saw.

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah except the prequels were never supposed to be the story of the clone wars and the fall of the Republic. Regardless of what one might think about the execution, it was always intended to be the story of the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker.

It really wasn't necessary to explain the mechanism behind order 66 in RotS and I think the sequence worked perfectly fine unencumbered with superfluous exposition. Indeed, it's arguably the most dramatically effective scene in the whole prequel trilogy.
    We already pretty much knew that the Sith arranged the creation of the clones, it shouldn't require too much imagination to buy that they had a built in way to turn on the Jedi.

If it were just the result of mental programming, conditioning or other innate behavioural modification then we'd have to think that the characters we like the most such as Rex and Cody simply *couldn't* turn on the Jedi, that they'd somehow be strong enough to break the programming.

Making it a biochip allows us to accept that these characters that we've grown to like and root for over the course of the series didn't turn on the Jedi because they're just mindless drones (we already knew they weren't) they did it because there was a *physical* mechanism; something surgically grafted into their neural tissue that forced them to betray the Jedi. They couldn't choose to disobey order 66 any-more than their lungs could choose to disobey their brain's orders to breath.

So yeah, whatever happened with Rex & Wolfe, it's a safe bet their chips were somehow removed.

20. cooleddie74

The crowd reaction to the trailer is joyous to listen to.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxN57J14pr4[/yt]