Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

They'll just go to the Avengers well. Chris Evans as Luke, Cobie Smulders as Leia, Robert Downey Jr. as Han. :D

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well my first thought on reading this earlier today was "Wait a minute. Todai is April 1st, right?" My second thought upon realizing the date was "Well, there goes the EU." :(

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Suffice it to say, I had an out of body experience when I heard the news. :cool: And all I ask is---no matter what the stories will be about, when they take place after JEDI and how action or character-oriented they wind up being---make sure someone else besides George Lucas directs them.

The man couldn't get emotion out of Roberto Benigni, for crying out loud. Let someone else with better, less rusty directing chops helm the new Trilogy.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Would love to see an "A list" director in charge.

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Wow, I didn't see this coming.

I was never a big fan of Star Wars, but this will be interesting. Just on general principles, I hope they go with a continuation rather than a re-boot.

6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

The thing is, back in the 70s you could get away with being a minimal director like Lucas, because the actors were generally better.

7. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

SPIELBERG?!

That was my first thought too, I have to admit. Then I tried to figure out if there was a new Pre-Halloween Fool's Day, or something... :D

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Seriously?

10. cooleddie74

Agreed to a point. Alec Guinness and Peter Cushing more or less directed themselves, whereas Hayden Christensen and Temuera Morrison...not so much. However there's little excuse for how Lucas failed to direct a gifted actress like Natalie Portman and got such disappointing performances out of her.

11. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

I have a bad feeling about this.

12. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I remember thinking a while back that Ep. II should have been the first movie.

Continuation now, reboot later. I think that's what they'll do.

13. cooleddie74

It's not going to be a reboot. Episode VII implies a continuation of the story in the same universe and timeline, albeit many years after JEDI.

14. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. I was thinking about this a few months ago. Many young actors are fine today for the films they are doing but they don't have the stage / theater experience the actors of old had, that, as older men, they could slip into a fantastic role and give it the necessary gravitas. Not sure how the actors we have now will be able to take on such roles in 30 years from now

15. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

For the PT I would put Ian and Ewan in this category.

17. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

The word "Disney" is enough to kill the excitement I should otherwise feel...

18. cooleddie74

Oh, I have faith. But I saw Attack of the Clones. The odds of getting an A+ trilogy directed by Lucas himself are approximately 3,720 to 1. ;)

19. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

wow great find! uploaded by starwars on Oct.30, 2012.

start at 1:35
    Lucas:
    "I have story treatments of 7, 8, and 9 and a bunch of other movies...I sort of moved that treasure trove...to Kathy."

Kathy:
    "(we are)...sitting down with a couple of writers and starting to discuss ideas of what those stories might be."

Since Lucas says in this video that he won't be doing anymore I think he will really have a backseat and approval of script and then it will really be out of his hands as an Executive Producer. Someone else will run the show during preproduction, production, and post production.

Does this mean that Disney will hire John Williams to compose the score of the next film? That would be most interesting.

What are the legalities if they do not hire John Williams but use some of his score & themes in writing the new score for the 2015 film?

So Lucas has given story treatments for 'a bunch of other movies' to Disney that he has had the ideas to do for decades too. I wonder what some of those are. Maybe other franchises?

20. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Good news. I will be happier than a pig in shit when the Zahn trilogy gets written out of existence :)