Star Wars Books Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Mr Light, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Koric

Koric Commander Red Shirt

Nah, you are right @fireproof78. The ROTS novelization was awesome, I only wished the last book for Rise of Skywalker was just as incredible, like Stover in ROTS.

As for the crap about CANON:
    The Muppets Swedish Chef said it best:
    "VERT DER FERK" LMVAO...
    Thanks man cheers :)
    -Koric

2. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I got the Light of the Jedi trade paperback a few days ago. It’s smaller than I thought it would be. I’m not to fond of the white back cover. I don’t want it dirty. I’m in the middle of another book so I’ll get to LotJ after that.

Koric likes this.
  3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hell, it doesn't take anything away from the books. The old Legends novels still do sales roughly equal to the new "Canon" novels published, with some, like the old Thrawn trilogy actually still surpassing the new stuff in sales. So it's obvious the Legends banner isn't hurting novels any.

Canon is ultimately just a word used in internet arguments. Not a deciding factor in book sales.

4. Enterprise is Great

They wouldn’t be releasing Legends novels in trade paperback form with fancy new covers if there wasn’t a market for them. The general public doesn’t care what canon is or isn’t. They just want a good story.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    Unicron, Koric, Masiral and 1 other person like this.
  5. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Oh, I think I had that one, Revenge of the Sith and Labyrinth of Evil as audiobooks. It's been a loong while, but I remember enjoying them.

Dr. Kravaal and Koric like this.
  6. Koric

Koric Commander Red Shirt

@Jinn Shadows of the Empire by Steve Perry has some great Darth Vader and Emperor moments only it is between Episode 5 and 6.

If you want a good story about the Sith don’t forget Darth Plagueis by James Luceno too.

Unfortunately there has never been too many books or stories about Darth Vader sadly.

Like the Darth Vader comic series, Vader needs more books.
    Enjoy,
    Cheers.
    -Koric

Jinn likes this.
  7. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Yeah, I got those on my Legends reading order already. I also read the canon Vader comic series, and enjoyed them both; particularly the one shortly after Revenge of the Sith. I'll probably revisit it, once my TCW rewatch reaches The Bad Batch.

Koric likes this.
  8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. Enterprise is Great

10. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

It didn't really register with me until just now, but I like how they've designed the lightsaber to have a full length scabbard that seems like it's some kind of battery pack. If this is how they're thinking about approaching proto-lightsabers (or just lighsabers designed for extended usage), then I have to say I like it a lot more than the old EU "cable attached to a the belt" design.

11. urrutiap

urrutiap Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

yeah pretty much. I still have that one novel Dawn of the Jedi that has a comic book short series. Basically the early jedi had regular swords and then later on they had lightsabers attached to a battery pack belt. This was long before the High Republic novels.

12. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah and those comics really really sucked.

13. Hades Temperature Checker

Hades Temperature Checker Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's funny, not to revisit this issue.

Edit: Remove the link and quote the post below.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Your link is broken.

15. Hades Temperature Checker

Hades Temperature Checker Fleet Admiral Admiral

What the French Toast...?

Sorry, Greg.

16. Josh Kelton

Josh Kelton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

17. lightspeedbear

lightspeedbear Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Art of Mando season 2 coming out this December, yes please!

https://twitter.com/StarWarsNewsNet/status/1438575824438013966

This and the season 1 somewhat make up for the cancelled Visual Guide. Still gutted about that, but I guess they know what they're doing. Sure all the info Pablo typed out will appear somewhere down the line.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

When he writes stuff like the Visual Guides, is Pablo Hidalgo using background developed for the movie, or is he just making it all up as he goes along?

19. lightspeedbear

lightspeedbear Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Could be wrong but I think he's mostly making it up as he goes along? Maybe with some input from the rest of the story group, directors and writers but I think his whole job is to flesh out the world.

20. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

My neighbor was asking me about Shadows of the Empire about six weeks ago. Apparently one of his coworkers had recommended it to him, and he wanted some more details, which I was happy to provide.

I explained the basic idea of it -- multimedia project with a book, a comic, toys, a video game, even a soundtrack (which I bought at Plan 9 Music in Charlottesville back in the day) -- and told him that if he reads the book, he should really read the comic/graphic novel, too. (Which I don't have any more.) The book tells the story from the Rebellion's perspective, the comics told the story from Darth Vader and Boba Fett's perspective. There's Vader material (and one or two Boba Fett scenes) in Steve Perry's novel, but there's a lot more with them in the comic. He thought that all sounded cool, and he was going to look for the graphic novel. (A comic shop opened in the next town over earlier this year.) I haven't seen him in a few weeks -- I've been busy with work and did some travel, too -- so I'll ask if he's had any luck on finding the comic when next I see him.