Star Trek XII Release Date & Box Office Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by MvRojo, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ugh, I was afraid of that. I haven't talked to anyone about it offline, so I haven't heard any opinions from people I know. Looking at its scores on some websites (C+ average on Box Office Mojo, 6.2/10 on IMDB, 19% on Rotten Tomatoes plus 56% from the RT community) suggests that audiences were pretty divided on it. I guess we'll find out in a couple years if that has any effect on the box office.

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Transformers 3 should do good buissness worldwide the oversea's market are not affected much by bad buzz so around $350-400 million is likely but domestically 250-300 could happen if the 3rd movie recieves bad WOM.

ok a success but lot less than the $800 million+ made by Tr2.

3. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

Battleship jumped to August.

May

5/6 - Spider-Man 4 (Sony)
    5/20 - Thor (Paramount)
    5/26 - The Hangover 2 (WB)

June
    6/3 - Kung Fu Panda: The Kaboom of Doom (P/DW)
    6/17 - Green Lantern (WB)
    6/24 - Cars 2 (BV)

July
    7/1 - Transformers 3 (P/DW)
    7/15 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part II (WB)
    7/22 - The First Avenger: Captain America (Paramount)
    7/29 - Smurfs (Sony) - 7/29

August
    8/5 - Battleship (Universal)

Unscheduled
    Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

4. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Looks like there's a game of chess going on here... :p

Hell, I'd go June 3 or 10, leaning more toward the former, just to keep the IMAX theaters for four weeks if at all possible.

5. WarMaster1701

WarMaster1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have high hopes for Thor. It want it to do good. Do give a fuck about Spider-man

6. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Well from what I can tell the development on Trek XI was:

Script complete & Greenlit - Feb 07
    Shooting - Nov 7th 07

So... considering that they originally intended for Dec 08 they need to start filming by April/May 2010. As you can see the time from the script to the shooting was 9-10 months however they needed to do a lot more work before they could start shooting because they needed to cast all the new crew which undoubtadley was a very difficult and time consuming task. In addition to that they had to think about the look and feel of the new universe and construct all the new sets & scout for locations.... all done (as far as the Enterprise and Starfleet are concerned anyway)

In addition to less 'prep' being done I would think Paramount will fast track the next movie and do everything they can to get it for 2011, so I think assuming a script is done for Christmas that they will reduce the prep from 10 months to 5 months so they can start shooting in May and then have it ready for May/June 2011.

Personally I would rather they take their time and go for Christmas '11 or Summer '12...

7. Flake

I have noticed Damon Lindelof is attached as a 'writer' to Trek 12 and has been for months. Orci and Kurtzman have stated he will share a story credit with them but not write the script.... looks to me like Lindelof has come up with a good idea and rightly wants some credit for it, hence the story credit. I think they have known exactly what Trek 12 will involve for months and its further along than they are saying.... If they have ideas in mind for locations & action set peices I bet the concept artists are already dreaming up the new locales, aliens & ships right now!

8. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Lindelof has been known to be a ST12 co-writer all along and has always been credited as such. Though, I can't comment on what O&K saying that as I haven't seen that.

I don't know if it's that far. They are still writing it so they will have to pin down all the locations script wise, get budgets, scout locations, etc. The only thing we know for certain that they are using is the Enterprise and her bridge.

9. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

If I had to guess at this point, I'd predict that it won't be out by Summer 2011, which is already getting too crowded. If it does come out in Summer 2011, then Paramount is going to delay one of its existing projects for that summer (Thor would be the most logical choice), because there aren't a lot of empty slots left to fill.

10. MvRojo

The reason I don't think they'd push back Thor is because it would have a domino effect on all their other Marvel-produced films. Captain America is set for July 2011, and Avengers has the plum opening weekend of Summer 2012 so they have to launch Thor before then.

11. Borgminister

On the other hand, they have a winner in Star Trek, and perhaps 3 years is too long a wait to sustain interest... (?)

12. Flake

3 Years seemed to work for Batman!

13. Borgminister

Holy crap was it really 3 years?? Damn that time, it flies. :(

Okay, point taken.

14. MvRojo

It'll be interesting to see when the movie is going to come out considering Chris Pine has pretty much been cast as the new Jack Ryan for a re-boot of the franchise. Considering that film already has a script draft, it's possible that it might be ready for production before Trek XII.

2012 is looking almost definite at this point. I guess we'll have more time to get excited.

15. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

As long as we get it before the End of the World. :D

16. MvRojo

Sounds good...so we're shooting for summer.

17. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

I don't want to wait until the next Star Trek film comes when will they start going into pre production

18. MvRojo

I wouldn't expect it to be in pre-production until sometime next year considering they haven't come up with a story yet.

19. startrekrcks

but why does it take time I am eagerly wanting more news on Trek XII

20. startrekrcks

but why 2012