Star Trek: World War III

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by dan_bevan, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

We might as well merge the Eugenics Wars and WWIII since reality has screwed up the original timeline anyway.

2. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wish they had. With the proviso that should it ever be depicted on screen its an outright war and not some covert thing - mind you I enjoyed the "Khan books", though once in awhile something would jog be out of it since it was trying to hard to fit with reality.

Sharr

3. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I tend to think this kind of thing should be downplayed anyway. All this talk of World War III and Eugenics came out of evidently a very pessimistic view of where the near future was going - as in the talk in TNG of a violent Irish Reunification, which seems pretty quaint in retrospect but probably made sense in the 1980s.

Apparently, the key ingredient in becoming the perfect Roddenberry optimistic people in the future is totally blowing up the planet in the present. But that never really happened. Big deal, Star Trek is set in the distant future on spaceships soaring around the cosmos. Perhaps it should stay there.

4. Sulu_Love_child

Sulu_Love_child Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would be interesting to see but I'd rather see the TOS era universe fleshed out in a new series.

5. MarianLH

MarianLH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Spock explicitly say there was no nuclear holocaust somewhere in TOS?

Marian

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ No.

In "The Omega Glory" he mentioned 'the war your Earth avoided' but that was a reference to a US/Soviet war. Not necessarily WW III. On Omega IV, the Cold War turned 'hot', whereas on the regular Earth, it didn't.