Spoilers Star Trek The Q Conflict #1 Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by indianatrekker26, Jan 30, 2019.

1. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I read this comic this morning. Very interesting story so far. I'm glad its told mostly from Picard and his crew's perspective. I loved seeing some new artwork by David Messina. Although there was one small coloring error. If i have my years right, the TNG portion is set some time shortly before Star Trek: Nemesis. For some reason, Worf is wearing security gold and not command red. lol. But other than that, im really into this story so far.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Tempting, but no way am I venturing out to the comic book store until the polar vortex passes! :)

JonnyQuest037 and Leto_II like this.
  3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's a goof no matter what year it is. Worf never wears the grey-shouldered uniform in gold. He switched to red years before the new uniforms happened.

Tuskin38 and Enterprise1701 like this.
  4. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

My school principal where I teach just put up a video on Facebook moments ago announcing cancellation of classes again tomorrow (she sang it to the tune of a particular ‘80s song).

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  5. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don’t feel like the Organians would be a part of this, unless they’re looking for a peaceful solution

Judging by sisko’s time reference, the comic is set in 2379, so the year of nemesis.

Also I was originally thinking 2380, without realizing the biggest flaw in my theory, Data was still alive. It never crossed my mind for some reason.

6. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah that's why with Worf wearing security gold, it was seriously throwing me off too. I kept thinking, he was never on the Enterprise-E and head of security. Then hit me, he had already been serving back on the Enterprise-E for some time prior to Nemesis. Messina's drawings of Picard and especially Riker, made me think the Enterprise-E scenes were set closer to First Contact.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's a big advantage of digital comics, you don't have to leave the house to buy them.
    Not that I would mind today, out here it's 69 degree, and we have the back door open so that dogs can go in and out as they please. In the winter, the colder it is for you guys, the warmer it is for us.

8. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Is that Lieutenant at flight control Kira Archer from Hive?
    Ha, this author seems to have forgotten that Trelane isn't nearly as powerful as the Q as he was literally depicted using technology outside his own body.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't Peter David do pretty much the same thing in Q-Squared? It seems to be a pretty common mistake in fandom.

Enterprise1701 likes this.
  10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There is an unfortunate tendency to assume that all Trek aliens more powerful than humans are at the same godlike level. Even the Preservers, who didn't demonstrate any abilities beyond space travel, deflector beams, and memory-wipe beams.

SolarisOne likes this.
  11. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

I liked it, but I did almost expect Kirk to step forward and say, "Why are you worried about these guys? I've defeated _all_ of them!"

Tuskin38 and Enterprise1701 like this.
  12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

To be fair, he didn't defeat either the Metrons or the Organians. They arguably showed mercy to him.

13. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Well, true. "Dealt with" might have been a better choice of words.

Greg Cox likes this.
  14. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Trelane was said to need the assistance of his machine in Q-Squared because he was young. (And indeed, I think the end of the episode, with his parents turning up, implies they have greater powers than their offspring.)

TheAlmanac likes this.
  15. Christopher

Either that or they have their own machines. There's nothing in "The Squire of Gothos" that suggests otherwise. It's just that Trek fans tend to assume that one powerful glowy alien must be exactly like the others.

16. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know, I think you’re right.

17. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Q states outright (in classic Q boasting) that these are lesser species trying to take on the Q. He doesn't seem concerned, and it's possible that the Q Conflict only involves Q himself pitting these lesser species (Organians, Metron, Trelane's species) against each other the same way he toyed with humanity and many other beings.

Trelane requires machinery, sure, but I think he's capable of causing supernovae. The comic doesn't imply that Trelane is a Q, so that's a step in the right direction.

18. Christopher

Huh? There's nothing in "Gothos" to suggest that he can do that. Or did you mean to say you don't think he's capable of that?

19. Tim Thomason

Timestamps:
    2379 (TNG, some point before Nemesis)
    2377 (VOY, "two years earlier", still in Delta Quadrant)
    2371 (DS9, "eight years earlier", between The Adversary and The Way of the Warrior as Sisko was just promoted to Captain but already shaved his head)
    2269 (TOS, "110 years earlier", possibly before TAS as Arex or M'Ress aren't seen, but neither is Chekov, possibly)

Some memory loss or time travel must be involved, as Sisko only encountered Q once (Q-less), according to Picard, and Kirk of course didn't know who Picard was in Generations (unless they are protecting the timeline).

Crew lists, for the Conflict:

TOS: Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scott, Sulu, Uhura, nondescript yellowshirt (Chekov? Our only casualty?)

TNG: Picard, Riker, Data, La Forge, Troi

DS9: Sisko, Kira, Jadzia, O'Brien, Odo, Quark

VOY: Janeway, Chakotay, Tuvok, Paris, Torres, Kim, Seven

That's 7-5-6-7, so to balance their may be some unspotted characters there.

The four pick Captains (Trelane- Kirk, Metron- Janeway, Ayelborne- Sisko, Q- Picard), but the sponsors will select the rest of the team outside of crew affiliation. So the 25 known could be split into teams of 7-6-6-6.

Shame they couldn't get Enterprise involved. The Organians could've picked Archer instead, with I guess Thasians or something choosing Sisko.

Leto_II likes this.
  20. Tim Thomason

If the Dominion could start a supernova with trilithium and whatnot, I don't see how it would be beyond Trelane's abilities.