News Star Trek: The Motion Picture in 4K?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by AutoAdmin, Jul 19, 2019.

1. AutoAdmin

AutoAdmin Machine of Death Administrator

A new news article has been published at TrekToday:

Forty years after the release of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, there is talk of a director’s cut in high-def. During the...

Continue reading...

NewHeavensNewEarth likes this.
  2. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is great news,!
    It will be a tremendous undertaking since all the Directors Cut footage has to be recreated in higher definition from scratch ...

Cutie McWhiskers and RedAlert like this.
  3. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

4. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Captain Captain

Why? It should be far easier than creating VFX for an episode of DSC. All the reference is there in SD, just follow/slightly improve on the template (especially if Mojo, Rob Bonchune or other FI artists have saved the original shots).

Remember, this has to remain the Director’s Edition for all practical purposes – it’s not like they can redo the film again and say it’s the final version without his approval.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  5. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Commander Red Shirt

That would be fantastic. The director's cut fixed the one problem I had with that movie - pacing.

6. 1001001

1001001 Pull Up a Groove and Get Fabulous! Moderator

Oh good.

I can be bored out of my skull in whole new format!

:techman:

137th Gebirg, Delta Vega and ATimson like this.
  7. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

About time, the DC dvd looks just horrible on a big 4k tv, so hopefully 4k HDR is implemented on this if it actually happens.

Cutie McWhiskers likes this.
  8. Cutie McWhiskers

Cutie McWhiskers Commodore Commodore

If they include the 1979 original, or that special TV edition (with even more footage, some of which helped the plot) in widescreen... 4K HDR would be sweet. Ditto if they do TWOK onward too.

The Director's cut had some fair tightening up but at the same time it had bizarre sound effect changes (the original felt like an actual alert, even if repetitive, the replaced sounds were weak) and maybe I was used to the original and TV releases as some scene cuts felt a bit too choppy... I did like some of the new f/x with ship perspectives...

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The new HD transfer of From the Earth to the Moon (HBO miniseries about the space program) had to do that. All of the effects in the HD version are brand new.

If HBO managed to do all-new FX for a 12-episode miniseries, surely TMP can do it for a simple 2-hour film.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  10. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

Yippee! Yahoo! Recently, I had my annual viewing of TMP:DE. I then decided to watch the blu-ray of the original cut, the first time I had watched the original edit all the way through since the DE came out years ago. Looked great but the DE is clearly the superior film. Hope this actually happens.

11. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really hope tbey do make a hi res Directors Cut, I prefer that edition.
    Yes, it can be done, tbe big question is whether those in charge feel like making the effort.

The time for this to happen sbould have been during the big anniversary, which they largely ignored

12. Vger23

Vger23 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only complaints I have about the DE are:

1. The new Red Alert sound effect is awful, and I hate that they eliminated the ship's computer voice from scenes as well

2. I think Decker's line about "creating God in our own image" was crucial, and tied back nicely to the original "In Thy Image" story title. I would have liked to see that put in (I think it's only in the SLV).

Cutie McWhiskers likes this.
  13. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

For most of the movie (about 90%, I estimate) I would agree. However, the Klingon intro, Kirk’s arrival to dry dock and subsequent Enterprise departure would be worth it alone.

Really hope they upscale the DE DVD digital VFX for this instead of simply re-releasing the original stuff they used for the BRD. The matte paintings used for the primary hull egress at V’Ger near the end of the film were positively horrible.