Spoilers Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 2x09 - "Subspace Rhapsody"

Hit it!

• Total voters
Ok, I’m old school. Can you even purchase a CD of this soundtrack or is it only digital downloads?

Reactions: kkt
One of my favs, I watch it every week (I know its sad). Just one thing, what is the big deal if Chapel is away for 3 months, that is nothing, they act as if its 3 years! Starfleet officers should be used to loved ones going on training, deployments etc for five years much more less 3 little months.

Last edited:
One of my favs, I watch it every week (i know its sad). Just one thing, what is the big deal if Chapel is away for 3 months, that is nothing, they act as if its 3 years! Starfleet officers should be used to loved ones going on training, deployments etc for five years much more less 3 little months.
Well the news really changes everything.

One of my favs, I watch it every week (I know its sad). Just one thing, what is the big deal if Chapel is away for 3 months, that is nothing, they act as if its 3 years! Starfleet officers should be used to loved ones going on training, deployments etc for five years much more less 3 little months.
I think it was less about the duration and more about that she told everyone about it but him.

Shortly before one of my daughters' freshman year at a school a thousand miles away, she posted on her MySpace page: "One more week to revolution!"

SNW is the TOS characters away at college. They've worked real hard to get in and now the brakes are off.

Spock's discovered the party life and college girls. His high school sweetheart comes up for the weekend, looks at his room and is like "I can't believe you live like this." Mom drops by, and he has to hide the bong.

And Christine's summer work/study in Europe changes everything - no strings, honey.

Last edited:

Three months isn't a huge deal, but this isn't really about three months.

This is about Christine was never sure they should be dating in the first place, believes that Spock is destined for greatness without her, didn't even try to bridge the emotional divide between her and Spock during the Dak'Rah incident, and doesn't trust Spock enough to go to him first when she decides she's going to prioritize her career over her relationship.

Mind you, this is not a criticism. Christine did not pursue Spock. She gave him a chance, and in the course of that relationship she found it wasn't what she needed if she was going to prioritize it. That's a legitimate choice.

It's real. Deal.

I've got no problem with this. Decades ago I signed on with David Gerrold's argument that the best thing about Trek is that it can be or do anything. (If you've been on this board long enough you've probably caught me defending "Sub Rosa" on exactly those grounds.)

So why not this?
Why not, indeed? Although "Star Trek: The Musical Comedy" has already been done, in the form of John Ford's novel, How Much for Just the Planet.

And yes, the Queen Bohemian Rhapsody poster/cover spoof at the top of the thread did go over my head (I've heard the cantata, but never saw the poster/cover art for it). At first glance, I thought it was riffing on some scene or poster art from A Chorus Line (which I haven't seen).

Makes me wonder if they hooked up the improbability generator to a cup of "advanced tea substitute."

Looking forward to this one with a worm on my tongue. Hopefully a bit less disturbing than "Under the Cloak of War."

Not exactly Sondheim. Or Rodgers & Hammerstein. Or Edwards & Stone. Or Schwartz & Hirson.

Or Menken & Ashman.

But fun.

And it's a new variation on the old theme of "stop fighting it; go with the flow and beat it at its own game." Like "A Piece of the Action." Or "The Royale."

Not Cole Porter, either.

And I can't help wondering if the wordless choral version of the open was a not-so-subtle dig at Roddenberry, his weird fetishes, and his insistence that Sandy Courage re-orchestrate to add a wordless soprano solo where it wasn't needed.

Last edited:
And I can't help wondering if the wordless choral version of the open was a not-so-subtle dig at Roddenberry, his weird fetishes, and his insistence that Sandy Courage re-orchestrate to add a wordless soprano solo where it wasn't needed.
Or it's just an a capella version of the titles over the existing orchestra (which makes it not a capella, I know). Was it a dig at Roddenberry when there was a vocal in the end credits of Discovery's season 1 finale? Or is it all just "Hey, that's how the Star Trek theme is played"? Sometimes a nacelle is just a nacelle.

If I recall the story, Courage included a female voice accompaniment in The Cage (which he did). This was Courage's idea, not Roddenberry's. He didn't use the theme at all for Where No Man Has Gone Before. When he brought it back for season one it was with an electric violin which I believe Roddenberry hated. (I know he hated The Man Trap with the same instrument.) So Fred Steiner arranged it for orchestra for the rest of season 1. Then in season 2 they brought back the vocals in a more prominent part of the mix and that was The Star Trek Theme from then on.

I'm not saying it isn't true but the only place I've heard that the vocals are there because Roddenberry was obsessed with women (not exactly a fetish) was in Herb Solow's book where he claims that 1) Solow nixed the vocals after season one for cost reasons. This is false, season one is the one without vocals. And 2) Alexander Courage never scored Star Trek again after Roddenberry wrote lyrics to the theme to get a piece of the royalties. Also false, Courage wrote library music for season two (including the memorable finales of Mirror Mirror and A Private Little War) and did full scores for season three. Oh, and he did orchestration on all of Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek scores.

The "Courage never wrote for Star Trek again" is even on Snopes.com. Feh.

Back