Spoilers Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 2x06 - "Lost in Translation"

Hit it!

• Total voters
To be clear, I'm not saying Wesley is "the wrong age" or anything like that. I just want a TMP show and Wesley's age is a convenient excuse. ;)

Never happen, of course.
I'm actually kind of intrigued by this idea -- more of a TMP/Phase II hybrid.

Though I'd argue the bigger issue is Gooding. She's just so young. (Not to say Nichols looked old, by any stretch.)

I'm actually kind of intrigued by this idea -- more of a TMP/Phase II hybrid.

Though I'd argue the bigger issue is Gooding. She's just so young. (Not to say Nichols looked old, by any stretch.)

I think Nichols was 6 years older than Uhura even in TOS so by TMP Nichols was 46 playing 34? So even if Gooding started playing Uhura in 2274 tomorrow, she would be closer to Uhura's age in TMP than Nicholls was.

Finally getting caught up on SNW. This is the third episode today and will give this one a 9 like I did the other 2.

I am really liking Wesley as Kirk too. This is the first time we got to see the "real Kirk" with the exception of the ending of the time traveling episode.

I would truly watch a revised TOS with Wesley, Peck, Gooding, Bush (still hot!) and hopefully the other classic characters perfectly casted as well. I just wonder if all the actors would want to play the same characters for another show? I know Wesley has stated he is up too it but the other actors are younger.

Yes but I think the point is that Kirk was 34 in season 2, and thus 40ish in TMP. If Kirk is 28, I guess he must be just a few years older than Chapel? So she would be late thirties.

Yep, Kirk is 40 years old in TMP. He was born in 2233 and TMP is 2273.

Or just not looking old. In PIC, Ed Speleers is at least 10 years older than the character he plays.

Ah, I think I see the issue. I think I got my threads mixed up. I was saying makeup because a few people mentioned wanting to see Hemsworth as George Kirk in SNW but due to Wesley's age, it would be unrealistic.

I've gone through so many pages over the last week or so that I'm amazed I haven't gotten more threads mixed up.

The ages of the actors don't matter. It doesn't matter whether Kirk is 35 or 43 at the time he takes command. It doesn't matter how old Uhura is in "The Gamesters of Triskelion."

Yep, Kirk is 40 years old in TMP. He was born in 2233 and TMP is 2273.

Or just not looking old. In PIC, Ed Speleers is at least 10 years older than the character he plays.
You can tell, though. When they claimed he was 22 or whatever, I snorted. He doesn’t look old, but he doesn’t look 22. In an interview it was said that no 22 year old they tried could hold his own in a scene with Sir Patrick Stewart. Believable.

I liked this one. It was well-balanced between the characters and nicely directed.

The actual plot was the only weak spot, as it was another uninspired, remixed idea. It was made up for by the character beats.

They write Kirk really good, even in the previous episodes. I'm just not sold on Wesley's performance of the dialogue that he is given. That spark and energy just isn't there. It works fine as a separate character though, or an alternate take on Kirk from another reality. He's more convincing as an authoritative Captain than Burnham, I'll give him that.

Nah - many people would be mad if they stepped into TOS. Post TMP allows the existing characters more freedom to grow, since the supporting characters were broadly blank slates in the movies. Plus they are obviously already digging the modern spin they could give to the TMP uniforms.

In this case I stand by my thought of a parallel timeline Farragut show. I mean we have done other non-Enterprise shows, so this would be another one along those lines.

A fresh cast, with Kirk as 1st officer.

It seems like they almost want to do this, as Kirk keeps showing up in STSNW :lol:. Like 3 of the last 8? Remember STSNW was born in DISCO (and so is section 31 technically), so if these specific episodes do well, you can see them taking a similar route.

You can technically bring Spock and whoever else over from the Enterprise (for whatever reason) for a few years.

Anyhow, probably the wrong thread to discuss this.

In the near future, I'll make a thread to discuss the potential Kirk spinoff. Might as well wait till after his next appearance.

Instead of a Farragut show, it just seems a lot simpler to have Anson Mount complete his next three seasons of SNW, and then hand the reigns over to Paul Wesley. Keep SNW going with a new lead, new contracts, perhaps a new cast.

I like this idea of jumping to 2269, for the final two years of Kirk's mission. Unchartered territory. That way if Ethan Peck wants out by then, they can just write Spock out to begin Kolinahr and bring in some new characters, hopefully weird aliens.

Instead of a Farragut show, it just seems a lot simpler to have Anson Mount complete his next three seasons of SNW, and then hand the reigns over to Paul Wesley. Keep SNW going with a new lead, new contracts, perhaps a new cast.
That's exactly what I'm expecting.

I wonder if wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff is going to reset Starfleet's relationship with the Gorn.

Deuterium poisoning? Really?? Hallucinogenic effects??? Seriously?!?!?

If the deuterium levels in a eukaryotic organism (i.e. any organism more complex than a bacterium) are elevated from naturally occurring levels to, say, 25% of the hydrogen, then there can be problems (starting with cell division issues and sterility), but trace amounts causing hallucinations? That's about as far-fetched as the whole business with heavy water in the first Batman movie (the one with Adam West).

And there are a few things involving the Kirk family that seem just as far-fetched.

And why is it that the phantom sounds so closely resemble something done with either a very low resolution vocoder, or maybe a sonovox?

Last edited:
I'm shocked to discover something far-fetched in Star Trek.
:rofl:

And why is it that the phantom sounds so closely resemble something done with either a very low resolution vocoder, or maybe a sonovox?
. . . or like what happens when an audio signal being digitized is driven to digital clipping! (which is why unlike the level indicators on a cassette deck that go up to +3dB, the ones on a CD recorder stop at 0dB).

Overloading the receiver.

At any rate, I gave it a 7. I'd have given it at least an 8, maybe even a 9, if the peripheral flaws hadn't kept dragging me out of the story. (The "deuterium poisoning" red herring seems even more absurd than the "argon poisoning" bit in Stephen Goldin's "Captain Kirk meets Willy Wonka" novel, Trek to Madworld. And as absurd as that was [somehow fitting, given that the book is itself an absurdist romp], it didn't drag me out of the story.)

And unlike the deleted chewing gum bit in "Charades," which would have dragged it down a notch in my assessment, I think this would have benefited from the long forms of the three trimmed scenes. Sort of the same way TMP feels less long-winded (to me at least) in the Director's Cut, than it does in the objectively shorter first-run theatrical cut.

If the deuterium levels in a eukaryotic organism (i.e. any organism more complex than a bacterium) are elevated from naturally occurring levels to, say, 25% of the hydrogen, then there can be problems (starting with cell division issues and sterility), but trace amounts causing hallucinations? That's about as far-fetched as the whole business with heavy water in the first Batman movie (the one with Adam West).

And there are a few things involving the Kirk family that seem just as far-fetched.

You're new to the Star Trek franchise, right? ;)

( The above situation is nowhere near the most ridiculous thing Star Trek has done in it's near 60-year history.:shrug:)

The above situation is nowhere near the most ridiculous thing Star Trek has done in it's near 60-year history.
True. I was just weighing in on "Sub Rosa," "Masks," and "Move Along Home." The difference here is that the "deuterium poisoning" red herring, and the weird portrayal of Kirk family relations, kept throwing me out of what was otherwise not a half-bad story.

There's an episode of Voyager where they somehow run out of deuterium despite it being one of the commonest substances in the universe and the whole point of the Bussard collectors. Instead of setting course for, oh, let's say the nearest star or gas giant, they land on a non-class-M planet with a toxic environment and attempt to mine it. I swear half the time the writers confuse real substances with well-understood properties like deuterium and fictitious ones with properties-of-the-week like dilithium.

I swear half the time the writers confuse real substances with well-understood properties like deuterium and fictitious ones with properties-of-the-week like dilithium.
I seem to recall that being a battle. The writers or at least the science guys (I think it was the writers) wanted to make it something plausible but someone higher up (IIRC it was Berman) insisted on it being deuterium.

Someone who knows this stuff better than I do should step in so I don't smear people unfairly.

There's an episode of Voyager where they somehow run out of deuterium despite it being one of the commonest substances in the universe and the whole point of the Bussard collectors. Instead of setting course for, oh, let's say the nearest star or gas giant, they land on a non-class-M planet with a toxic environment and attempt to mine it. I swear half the time the writers confuse real substances with well-understood properties like deuterium and fictitious ones with properties-of-the-week like dilithium.

The irony is that the episode, "DEMON", had the story by their science consultant, Andre Bormanis.

Back