Spoilers Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 1x09 - "All Those Who Wander"

Hit it!

• Total voters
I really want a future spread of food in Pike's quarters or the mess hall to have the colored food cubes from TOS. Just put a plate of them in there with no explanation and like they're just standard food to synthesize and serve.

"Try the cubes. They're really good today."

Not a bad episode at all.

I'm wondering if we're getting Scotty for season two now. Has anyone come across any casting reports/leaks? The way we did for Kirk being cast for season 2?

On the positive side, the emotional beats - especially losing Hemmer - worked and felt earned, despite our only being 9 episodes in. This is in contrast to Discovery, which, even multiple seasons in, mostly told us how we should be feeling rather than actually ever making us feel it.

But losing Hemmer just as we're getting to know him felt like a waste.

And the similarities to Alien and Predator, though I'm sure intentional, were just too much.

The tone felt a bit uneven, swinging from comedy to horror from one shot to the next.

I don't understand why Pike felt this was an appropriate mission to take cadets on? A crashed ship seems like it would be a pretty significant and serious mission. I may need a re-watch to understand the justification for that.

Still, I really liked yet more building of Spock and Chapell's relationship. Uhura and Hemmer's interactions were great again - it's too bad we've seen the last of those.

Bruce Horak better have been begging and pleading to leave because, as a disabled person myself with hearing loss, I'm not going to even get into how bad it looks killing off the one disabled cast member on the show.

The horror factors were overdone I think. Why didn't La'an mention immediately that Hemmer was infected? The one thing anyone remembers in TOS was that Gorn there moved slow, but they're super fast now. I can buy that but now baby Gorn reproduce as soon as they hatch? Really? (I guess those Gorn weddings in Lower Decks are more ceremonial than for any reproductive purpose) I guess they're lizard tribbles. M'Benga has no transporter stasis stalling tactics anymore? Do they even know how fast the eggs will hatch? They mentioned earlier in the episode that hatching time depends on the host and I'm pretty sure no one knew how fast an Andorian would take.

Uhurah: "Who knows where I'll end up?"

Me: Doing a naked fan dance on some desert planet?

20 minutes in and I'm already feeling the 10 in this.

Last edited:
Should have brought some Colonial Marines.
It was an okay episode but I’m not a fan of what they done to the Gorn. They’re just bargain bin Xenomorphs now.
Those deaths were also very telegraphed. That recap at the start basically gave away the most important one. The person behind doing the recaps should be fired for that.

I enjoyed the episode quite a bit. I figured we were going to lose Hemmer or La'an to the Gorn when all of the expendables died early on and we still had about half the episode left, but he got a hell of a good death scene. I do wish we'd seen more of him during the season so that the loss was a little sharper. I'm more annoyed about how La'an was written out, but at least I'm sure we'll see her again in S2.

That was excellent! I gave it a 9. My highest rating for a SNW episode yet. On my scale, that's better than above average but not quite a top classic. It's a near classic.

It had a great spooky atmosphere, some good action, great characterization, and a nice resolution.

Sad to see Hemmer go! But it was a fantastic death scene and now we see why Uhura decided to stay in Starfleet! They also had interesting developments with Spock and La'an. Lots of action and development for a bunch of the characters.

The portrayal of the Gorn was interesting. I like 'em! They're a very alien creature compared to the typical ST alien. Very creative.

M'Benga to Pike: "It's dead, Chris!" :guffaw:McCoy would be proud!

Dang, I don't want the season to be over. I wonder what they've got for the finale?!

Last edited:
Back