Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

well, wallet savings for this wave. Nothing there I have interest in.

Brefugee likes this.
  2. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I might get the XL Rocinante, as I quite liked The Expanse, but that's the only ship I'd ever need from it. However, if it happens to sell out fast, I won't be heartbroken.

In other news, my first MR shipment just arrived.

saddestmoon likes this.
  3. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

The only one I could be tempted by is the Delta XLyer. But I know how hefty shuttles like the DSC-type and the Danube class, and have no need for ginormous small scraft.

Sitting this one out. Good luck to everybody! I hope the scalpers have been taken care of.

4. Paul755

I’m hoping today or tomorrow for mine. The tracking tool for the shipment is worthless so who knows.

drt and Markonian like this.
  5. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Heh, yeah, that tool was only good for when it was put on the plane in London and cleared US Customs, but then nothing until today when it said "out for delivery".

6. Paul755

Mine has said “arrived at depot” since Thursday.

7. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Well, those two and the Daedalus. I was waiting to hop on to see if they'd do the movie-version of the pyramid ship and the Prometheus. Guess I made the right call on that one.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  8. Nate

Nate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Only two I’m missing from this wave are Book’s ship and the gold Enterprise D. No interest in the gold model & will get Books ship if they have stock when I check.

9. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

The tracking tool isn't great from MR, but once it cleared customs here I was able to use the An Post parcel tracker which is miles better.

I have to wait a few days for my second package though, I put in an old address, it didn't get delivered there (thankfully) and is now awaiting to be transported down the country.

As for wave two, The Rosi was the last ship I ever got direct from Eaglemoss and the others, I either have or arn't appealing.

10. Paul755

Got my Titan today. A bit more than two weeks from order to delivery isn’t terrible all things considered.

11. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

https://real-merch.com/

Apparently, Real Merch is doing a "First Contact Day" sale. Everything 20.63% off. Not too many of the "hero" ships left, but there's a few. I bought up a bunch of alien ships from Voyager, plus the Vulcan shuttle Surak. No hard copy magazines, but they will email you a link to a PDF.

Markonian likes this.
  12. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

"20.63%"? Is there some significance to that number? Am I going to have my geek card confiscated for asking that question? :shifty:

13. IMC Headquarters

IMC Headquarters Screencaptioning Addict Premium Member

Confiscated and fed to the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal...

20.63<2063 Stardate: April 5th 2063...

Markonian and 137th Gebirg like this.
  14. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Has anyone tried Gameprint for ships?

I have a bunch of Eaglemoss, which I think are great, but the only ship I really need right now is the Probert Enterprise C, and I'm having a hard time finding the EM version anywhere. The pictures on the Gameprint website look decent but I haven't heard anything about the quality.

Markonian likes this.
  15. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I posted a picture of my Stargazer a few pages ago.

Note that as a 3D print there are some limitations to the technology. The finish is kind of rough/matte because on the deposition process.

Sometimes occasional fine details aren’t completely sharp - you can see this in my Stargazer’s name and registry, but oddly enough other fine details on the same print can be crystal clear, like the grid lines by the impulse deflection crystals.

The only other thing I’d mention is that I feel that they tend to print dark, so I always try to print a lighter one if multiple versions are available (I don’t play STO so am at the whim of people uploading their models. although Cryptic does make semi-official versions, I haven’t printed any of these).

Nate, Markonian and Kirby like this.
  16. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I have placed a few orders with GamePrint. Ended up getting ships that were later released by Eaglemoss. But not the Probert C.

The material used is a soft resin, so be careful with handling. Also with storage - I place ships upside down so their nacelle pylons don’t get warped.

Comparisons: GamePrint left (and middle), Eaglemoss right.
    IMG_1006.jpeg IMG_1007.jpeg IMG_1008.jpeg IMG_1009.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
    Kirby, Rahul, saddestmoon and 3 others like this.
  17. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks drt, I was wondering where I first heard about Gameprint, and looking back at your Stargazer, it must have been your post.
    Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I saw several versions of the Probert C, and one was relatively 'clean' so I may go for that one. I don't play STO either, but that's a pretty cool concept to take your in-game ship and print it.

I'll also look into Cryptic tonight and see what those look like.

Markonian likes this.
  18. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, that's the thing I noticed about the 3D-printed ships, since it looks like they were "color printed", there seems to be some pigment bleeding that is very noticeable between two shades of contrasting colors, leaving a finished product that makes the details look somewhat blurry between edges. It's almost like there's some mild translucency going on there in the resin they use. The painted Eaglemoss ships definitely appear crisper and more screen-accurate.

19. Nate

Nate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I ordered a Sagan class Stargazer and Parliament class Vancouver to test. Took about a week to go into production, ordered March 26 & says production started April 2. Anxious to see how they turn out and if I like well enough to order some to represent some of the Picard S2 & S3 ships. The nacelle issue above concerns me.

Also make sure you triple check what registration you put on. Somehow it disappeared from my Vancouver request and I had to email them.

Markonian and Kirby like this.
  20. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Like i said it's odd, the registries quite often have that bleeding look, while other details don't. I'm not sure if it's because the registries can be customized that maybe the way they're layered is different and is more likely to bleed or something...

I generally don't mind, it's sort of like having to tolerate how Eaglemoss could never get the window paint applications to line up with the mold, lol.

They usually come with some foam packaging material, I utilize those as little bases to keep them upright. I haven't ever had an issue with sagging nacelles, but maybe that's because of the ones I had printed just happened to have better struts to support the weight versus some of the other models.

One other thing to mention (can't remember if I said this before or not), sometimes the ships get a little warped during shipping, but if you leave them alone for a week or two they go back to their proper shape, kind of an interesting property of the material.