Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

They seem to have different teams working on different projects. On the one hand, we have the complete abortion that was the XL E-A and not long after we have the beautiful XL Reliant. Very much an inconsistent mixed bag. They’d better do a decent job aligning the paint for the STO version of the E-F. With all the high-contrast striping involved, that one won’t be as forgiving.

saddestmoon likes this.
  2. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

this looks great.

why do i keep seeing photos of it looking like a sears portrait studio backdrop from 1989?

3. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't even think they are different teams - they are just workers from another country, unfamiliar with Star Trek. That's why the models are so cheap (comparatively - considering the level of detail, paint, decals, ....)

The XL-A was pretty off. But it was obvious a lot of work went into it: The bridge dome is an exact copy of the wrong bridge dome! That means they had extensive pictures of the model with the old bridge dome (promo-shots from before the movies were released), and really did a heck of a good job replicating that. They were just working off the wrong pictures - the bridge dome on the "real" movies had changed before filming.

In a stark contrast - for the Reliant there exists an official studio CGI-model. Converting that into a mostly accurate model is easy. Hell, I'd wager all models are mostly accurate! I LOvE their BoP models. But I honestly can't say if there are differences between te studio model, the CGI model and the Eaglemoss model - they look similar enough to me. Like a non-Trekie would never notice they accidentally put the wrong bridge on the Enterprise. That's only because for us the hero-level get a much higher level of scrutiny.

The other issue is the side of the saucer, which, yeah. That was bad. But that seemed to be an issue often. The Kelvin-Ent also had a pretty bare saucer edge. I think the best approximation was the TMP-Enterprise (with it's three-layered structure) - also off, but worked, and the TOS Enterprise - which was also completel bare except windows. But that was a good fit for the model (and I think they put more effort in the original Enterprise than any other ship before - which they simply can't do for every model, otherwise they would work at a loss).

Markonian and 137th Gebirg like this.
  4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Does CBS approve?! ;)

Thing that kills me about the new Enterprise is that they've gotten rid of the curves on the underside of the saucer.

5. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I’d actually be interested in the “wrong” XL-A if the paint job wasn’t so weird (oversized writing, etc.). I’m hoping they have a TMP release that fixes those aspects, then i’ll have a reasonable model of that earlier domed version.

saddestmoon likes this.
  6. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

The Karemma vessel from "Starship Down" is being hinted as a future release. I think I would also like to see the Groumall military freighter, John Knoll's ship from the credits, the Flaxian etc. Maybe even a model of the Cardassian weapon platform?

Michael likes this.
  7. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I must confess, I’m kinda interested in it also - as it’s almost a ‘lost’ Enterprise of sorts - the one that Trek time forgot, so to speak (and not the one which we got for TMP).

In that sense, I view it as a unique variant of sorts, and personally, I’ve always been intrigued with evolution of the Refit design, from its Phase II origins through to TMP.

As the 1701-A, it misses the boat - but viewing it as an unrealised concept variant, it has a charm of sorts...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  8. IMC Headquarters

IMC Headquarters Screencaptioning Addict Premium Member

Interphase Defiant has crossed back into this universe to sit on my shelf. Not only did it travel back through time, it also underwent dimensional compression because I can hold it in my hands!

Whoever suggested this one for the line over at Eaglemoss deserves a big, fat bonus! Coolest affordable Trek thingie ever!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Markonian, BillJ and saddestmoon like this.
  9. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Apparently some models and pre-order models have been removed from the Eaglemoss website with no explanation.

Gone from Entertainment Earth too

10. 137th Gebirg

Interesting. Sounds like they're having some logistical issues going on right now. Historically, this usually happened when they were in the midst of opening/moving distribution warehouses. They may be working on a new expansion, got ahead of themselves and existing distro was impacted. They usually get it all worked out in a couple of months. Things have been running quite smoothly in recent years and I get the impression they've learned a lot from their prior mistakes.

11. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

the XL akira has been gone for a few weeks after it went up for preorder in december(?).

Tuskin38 likes this.
  12. Next gen

Next gen Cadet Newbie

I spoke to eagle moss yesterday. My order which I preordered didn't arrive. But I was told it has been recalled? Their words. It disappeared from the website and the call centre staff didn't know why so I was issued a refund. But I got a notification from did that I had a order on the way. So I'll see what turns up

13. Next gen

Next gen Cadet Newbie

*dpd couriers

14. 137th Gebirg

I wonder if my Bonaventure is going to be yanked, also being considered a “pre-order” item, despite already being technically available.

15. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah both Defiants happen to be two of my favorite models. I really like the idea of models of ships of the same class as the "hero" ships. The first thing I ever bought on eBay was a Johnny Lightning model of the Yamato (which now droops down on its stand from having been pulled off of it so many times). Johnny Lighting actually made a model of the Connie Defiant as well, which I also have, but they did a truly terrible job on this one (which is curious, since they seemed to do a good job on all the others).

Curiously, they didn't do a model of the DS9 Defiant at all.

16. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

How come people are getting these new ships already? I haven’t even got the Spacedock yet.
    Got the Bonaventure Class however.

17. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Yeah, I'm wondering why I don't see the Shran in the shop. Would really like to order her. :thumbdown:

18. Nate

Nate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eaglemoss has added several models to the US Website

Sarcophagus Ship
    No mention of whether this is part of the Discovery Sub or we'll have to buy separately. It's priced at $74.95

V'Ger
    Enterprise-F

pst likes this.
  19. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Wow, the Sarcophagus ship looks very nice on these preview pics. Might be the first Klingon ship from Discovery I'm getting.

I'm confused why the US shop is getting ships earlier than the UK shop. Hasn't it been the other way around in the past?

20. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How was the spacedock? I'm on the waitlist at my "local" store for it