Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you have any comic/collectible stores in your town, I suggest checking them out. A lot of the Enterrpises and "hero" ships have been re-released, so you can probably get some of those for cheaper than and eBay purchase and not have to wait.

2. mindx2

mindx2 Commander Red Shirt

What have you heard about the XL E-D? The regular subscription ship is one of the best of the line so I'm curious what's wrong with the XL version.

3. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nice to see the pic of the Ent-C!!!

:) very tempting!

4. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

the paint job is an improvement over the standard, it reflects the filming model more closely.

however, like the standard model, the XL is based on a flawed digital model that isn’t accurate to the 6 foot or 4 foot model from TNG. the "neck" is too thin. the deflector dish is not the right shape or the right color. shuttle bays 2 and 3 are identical when they should be different sizes and shapes. the main impulse engine is the wrong shape (it's a step, rather than a protruding element). the saucer impulse engines are painted red when they should be dark gray (they were rarely shown glowing red and even then it wasn't the entire nozzle).

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Markonian and Tomalak like this.
  5. Happenstance

Happenstance Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I ended up getting the Enterprise E, Equinox and Aventine yesterday. I think that will do me for now. I will stop off at my local comic shop at some point to see if they have anything though and I’m off to Destination Star Trek in October so maybe I’ll see some more there.

6. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Probably old news to some of you, but the XL-Reliant just arrived today and it's a beautiful model! Definitely one of the series' best. Here are some shots I took …

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

publiusr, Cyfa, saddestmoon and 7 others like this.
  7. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Gorgeous pics! Looks fantastic, definitely one of the best they've done.

8. Happenstance

I keep thinking about getting some of the XL models but as I barely have space for the regular ones as it is it’s probably a bad idea.

9. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Don’t forget the missing RCS thrusters.

pst likes this.
  10. Nate

Nate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shenzhou plaque & Europa arrived today along with the scale charts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Michael, saddestmoon, pst and 3 others like this.
  11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Yep. Mine arrived too. It's a really nice model. The final production paint job seems better than what we saw in the preview images, although I really wish they did transparent bussards. Still, not a showstopper. And the plaque is fantastic.

12. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Picked up #133 Irina's Racing Ship last Thursday btw. Not one I was super duper excited for but it's a nice design. But mainly it looks awesome next to the Delta Flyer :techman: I hope they do Assan's ship from the episode too.

I'm saving a bit on the collection now, quite a few past issuesI've not bothered with as a cherry picker- Borg Probe, Tholian, Eymorg, Arctic One etc, all dull to me. And same for upcoming issues too- Dala's ship, Xindi Humanoid and the Vulcan Survey Ship are all ones I really don't care about.
    But it saves me money and space so hey ho.

Markonian and 137th Gebirg like this.
  13. Syd Shanshala

Syd Shanshala Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not sure if this has been mentioned, I’m sure it has, but, I was browsing eBay and apparently there is a USS Glenn exclusive model limited to 500 units worldwide. I just searched “eaglemoss Glenn” and it popped up. One sold for something like $450 :ack:

I took screenshots but I’m not sure how to post them here. I think the auction is still up.

14. Markonian

Yup. It’s a USS Discovery reprint sold at Conventions only, as stocks last. If I get a day off work, Birmingham this year is gonna be my first ever Trek con.

15. Nate

Nate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That’s actually cheap compared to what they were going for. I’ve been keeping an eye out for one since the end of the Vegas con & the first one on EBay sold for more than $1000. One or two have shown up a week & they’ve been slowly going for less.

16. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The more I see of the Europa, the more I think the design should have been used as a 24th century successor the the Miranda class.

It looks really, really good as an upgrade of the USS Reliant!

IMO the Vulcan Survey Ship is a really great design! I didn't care too much about the episode. But it looks absolutely fantastic as a 50s era rocket sci-fi alien ship! I love it. And I'm absolutely getting this one! ALso, it probably would look nice next to the Delta-Flyer as well;)

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Official_Starships_Collection
    BTW there are new images of the models fpr the Xindi-Humanoid ship, Vaadwaur fighter and the Starfleet tug available. They look all kinda'... goofy. With those bright colors and everything. Especially the Xindi ones' colorization doesn't look screen accurate. Which is a shame, otherwise this is a pretty neat and unique design, and a pretty accurate mold.

Nate, 137th Gebirg and Markonian like this.
  17. Markonian

Wait what Vaadwaur! :eek:

Yup, it’s on Memory Alpha. In the UK, the Vaadwaur ship* and “Call to Arms” tug are the December issues.

* Pythius-class fighter as per Star Trek Online.

137th Gebirg and Rahul like this.
  18. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The only alien ship from Voyager I got is the Vidiian ship (and, I suppose, technically the Dauntless). They're not ones I think of going out of my way to buy.

I'll probably get the Xindi-Primate ship, because I have all the other Xindi ships. I wonder if they'll do the Arboreal ship. Yes, it's the same model as the Tellarite ship (and I've said before recycling a ship from a major race seen only a year prior was a mistake) but the Bajoran ship and smuggler's ship were the same model too. After that the last major Xindi ship (aside from the super-weapon, which I doubt they'll do) is Degra's ship, which is long overdue.

I'll definitely get the Keldon class, and while the Lantree's not very exciting, I'm sure I'll get that too. I'm curious to know if they made it in the same scale as the Reliant. (The Saratoga wasn't, but the Bozeman was). It wouldn't surprise me if they do the Antares variation after that as well. (They gotta get out every Fed ship, cause those are the ones that sell the best! :lol:)

Still waiting on any of the remaining ships form my wish list: The Merchantman, the Jem'Hadar battleship, the Lakul, Degra's ship, the Groumall, and the Bajoran scout ship.

19. Happenstance

My desk is starting to get a bit full from just one weekend's ebaying. Still got the Aventine and NX-01 on the way and despite saying I was done for a while, a couple more bids on stuff lol.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Also, I'd be interested to see if anyone knows what episode of TNG I was watching :P

Ethros likes this.
  20. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, stupid question to everyone that is a little familiar with their website:
    I was thinking about getting one of the ships I'm interested int that I missed from their website, but it's out of stock. Does anyone know how long it takes until they'll refill their stocks? It looks like quite a lot of models are currently not available - are they still reproducing the older models?