Star Trek season 1 on blu-ray: April 28

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Hober Mallow, Feb 19, 2009.

1. AxelFoley

AxelFoley Commander Red Shirt

You're wrong. It's just a plus if it looks good on the shelf. Like I said earlier, I think the picture & sound is good the way it is.

2. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Have you seen Trek or anything else in HD? If not, then you don't know how much better it can look and sound. Best to keep an open mind and consider what others of us are writing about our experience w/ HD.

Doug

3. AxelFoley

Yes I have, I got this great "whop-de-do" feeling about it.

4. skylark

skylark Commander Red Shirt

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. I got TOS-R in HD-DVD and was blown away by the quality of the film transfers. Star Trek has never looked so good. I'm looking forward to getting Seasons 2 and 3 in Blu-ray, especially now that they're including both the original AND the remastered special effects, which means I'll (gladly) get Season 1, as well.

5. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

They are poor quality, whether you want to accept it or not. Even a theatrical film from sixty years ago is losing over half its resolution when transferred to DVD.

TV is another thing altogether, of course. I've got some TV series collections on DVD, and I'm basically getting the same picture quality I got when I watched it on television originally. But feature films are different.

Were you just as upset when people stopped accepting pan-and-scan format on VHS?

I'm not a video- or audio-phile, so I can't go that far, but I don't see how seeing films more like they were originally meant to be seen is a bad thing.

I've got a spot where I keep my DVDs and another spot where I keep my blurays. You can still play your DVDs on bluray, you know.

To each his own, though. I suggest you watch a few classic films on bluray, though. It may change your mind. If not, well, again, to each his own.

6. AxelFoley

I don't remember such a thing, when did this occur?

Yeah, I know you can. Well, there's limited space as it is for me right now, and I like to keep everything together.

7. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I spent a fortune on the VHS tapes, which are still on my shelves as I don't know what the hell to do with them.

Then I bought the 2 eps per disk DVDS of TOS.

That's all they're getting out of me, unless a time comes when a DVD machine doesn't work.

8. Eddie Roth

Eddie Roth Commodore Commodore

Quality is never a bad thing. I have resisted the Blu-Ray technology so far, but now that players are slowly reaching affordable prices, I might get one soon enough. And this new ST release is just the excuse I need, as it has both versions on it. And there is an immense difference between seeing the show (or any other film, for that matter) in HD as opposed to SD. You don't want to go back once you've seen the level of detail and sharpness, the colors etc that HD offers.

DVD remains good enough, and I'm keeping the Star Trek DVDs I have, but any new purchase would be Blu-Ray.

9. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

The weary battle cry of the Star trek fan I'm afraid, and then we buckle under once the programming kicks in again.:lol:

10. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Nope. I didn't get the three season sets, when they replaced the double ep version and I didn't buy the remastered.

11. Haggis and tatties

Some people programming takes a bit longer to kick in....:lol:

12. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Star Trek TOS season 1 on blu-ray 1st review

The Digital Bits has a great detailed review up of Season 1 of TOS on Blu-ray!

Also details about the BD-Live access features and a walkthrough review.

also note about the Text commentaries:
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewshd/bdreviews041709.html

Front box cover and spine large image
    Back of box large image

On a similar note of Trek TV on Blu-ray Here is the post I made on Friday April 17 about the first announcement that Paramount UK will release ST:TNG TV series on Blu-ray (as standard definition NOT HIGH DEFINITION) on Sept. 14, 2009. Please discuss TNG only at that link and not hijack this thread.

13. ScottDS

ScottDS Captain Captain

14. Kolchak007

Kolchak007 Cadet Newbie

15. Haggis and tatties

I have steered clear of any TOS on TV and in my DVD/Video collection for about 17 months now....and its going to be worth it......i am so psyched about TOS coming out on BR.

Woohoooo.

16. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

17. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't have a Blu ray player yet but hopefully I'll get one by the end of the year.
    And then I'll be getting the Blu ray TOS as well. :bolian:

18. Hober Mallow

According to a review I read at Trekweb, both original versions and enhanced versions of the episodes are in HD.

19. Hober Mallow

Interesting bit from that review:

20. destructive

destructive Commander Red Shirt

DVD sucks! Thank God for Blu-Ray!