Star Trek Receives Four Oscar Noms...all Technical Awards

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by MvRojo, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

It's actually not just about racism or immigration, since the aliens can infect humans and literally turn them into the alien species. That goes a bit beyond our human abilities to turn someone's sentiment to the other race. Humans really should fear extinction from absorption from the aliens, and not in a figurative sense.

2. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

woah Jeri! where'd that come from?! have you heard anything along those lines? :(

3. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

oh can it.

like you were gonna make a better movie!

:lol:

4. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

No, it just came to me in a brown mood after I saw the academy nominations. As far as I know, J.J. has still not said he's directing the sequel; and I wouldn't want this to bum him out from doing so. Sequels don't get nominations for sure, when the originals don't.

5. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

J.J. is still producing one, but he wants to see the script before he decides whether or not to direct when the movie goes into production in 2012.

The movie is going to be made, and even if J.J. doesn't direct, it'll still have his stamp on things.

6. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

:lol::lol: This post most definitely causes me to remember this great video: Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film As 'Fun, Watchable' :guffaw:

7. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

This was the only reason the Academy nominated District 9... it was a movie about racism and apartheid. Had they not nominated District 9 there would be shouts of insensitivity in those matters.

8. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

By that reasoning Invictus should have gotten more nominations.

9. Sector 7

To be honest, I am surprised that it did not. The Academy does have a track record of promoting such films.

10. Sector 7

Deleted. I have no idea how it double-posted.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed. :guffaw:

12. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Although I as a person of color liked it, to many other people of color, District 9 was racist (criticisms of it focused on the way the Nigerians were being treated and depicted). A sample of how a lot of POC's feel can be seen here at this blog: District 9 is racist [Alternate Perspective] and also Shrimpin’ Ain't Easy: A Look At District 9

So yeah, not everybody liked or loved District 9-just a little FYI.

EDIT: Was not surprised at what happened to the movie re:Best Picture nom. At least Avatar and District 9 got nominated. And that should be celebrated, because it's two Sci-Fi movies competing for Best Picture, with one of them possibly winning-something that should have happened with 2001: A Space Odyssey, Star Wars, and E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, but as we all know, never did. Now, it's going to happen because Avatar is unavoidable due to it's big box office gross! And that, my fellow Trekfans, is something to be celebrated despite Star Trek's being snubbed for a Best Picture Oscar nomination.

Besides, there are other 'Best Of Year' awards that Star Trek can get:

*Best Dramatic Presentation (Hugo Awards)

*Best Film Of The Year Award (MTV Movie Awards) plus others in other categories on the show

*Best Film Of The Year (Saturn Awards)

*Best Film Of The Year (Spacey Awards [Canada's Space: The Imagination Station]) plus others again

*Best Film Of The Year (People's Choice Awards) plus others

So, it isn't all bad.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  13. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, Trek already lost the People's Choice Awards and the MTV Movie Awards will most likely be dominated once again by New Moon. But...I get your point.

14. Rackon

Rackon Commander Red Shirt

I don't get *overly* excited about sound editing but I do sometimes get excited about this category (and sound design) if a film I like (Master & Commander, STXI), which has an outstanding soundscape, is up for the award.

Plenty of critics and Oscar-watch blogs discussed Trek as a possible BP nominee. But like you, I wasn't terribly surprised it didn't get on the list. It's always good to remember that the Oscars are about film business more then film art. The Blind Side is an enjoyable, rather ordinary movie with a nice performance by Sandra Bullock. STXI is a heckuva lot more entertaining to me.

OTOH, I was delighted to see An Education and A Serious Man make the list.

Kinda too bad STXI came out the same year as Avatar. In a different year ST might have taken home several technical statues.

15. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's like $250,000 USD to simply enter your film into running for the Oscars. Those fatcats running that show are loaded.

16. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

^Yeah. Jim Cameron can certainly afford to pay up the cash, can't he?

17. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

What about Godfather II and LOTR Return of the King, both Best Picture winners? And for that matter, the new Trek is a sequel. It's an extension to an existing property, not a new concept. Maybe that's why both it and the Dark Knight were snubbed.

18. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Em.. Source?

19. Atariboy

Atariboy Commander Red Shirt

Oh come on, folks. Star Trek wasn't one of the 10 best films of the year. Did the 10 best get nominated? Probably not, but no great injustice was served here.

District 9 was superior to Trek in just about every way (well, I guess it wasn't l33t3r...) so it's quite unfair to slag it so. There once was a time when Trek would approach such social issues, but rehashing Nemesis with a time travel twist seems like a better idea these days.

No matter. The winner ought to be Up in the Air, will probably be Avatar, but I'm rooting for The Hurt Locker. So there. :P

20. Cmndr J Crichton

Cmndr J Crichton Commodore Commodore

OK. I just watched the trailer for Up in the Air. Are these Academy delegates out of their minds? It's a simple RomCom. Nothing new, or different. They nominate THIS but not Trek? I know that's a contradiction of my previous statement, but come on. It's like all they saw was the director's name on this, and that gave it an automatic nomination. I know I'm basing this on 2 minutes of a trailer, but come on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.