Star Trek reboot starring Patrick Stewart is CBS' latest All Access offering-where's the audience?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Shaka Zulu, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

This article questions whether we need a new show with Stewart as Picard, who's the audience for it, and if this is just a way to placate white fans who can't stand Discovery:

New 'Star Trek' reboot starring Patrick Stewart is CBS' latest All Access offering. But who's the audience?

Personally, I too wonder why this is happening, especially considering how many fans (and the actor in question who portrays said character) wanted (and expected) a show about Captain Hikaru Sulu to be made, yet nobody could do so. And why does Stewart want this now when he said he was tired of Captain Picard originally?

Qonundrum likes this.
  2. Krandor

Krandor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I expect this to be a short series (1-2 seasons at most) and mainly be a bidge/setup to whatever the next trek series is. You call it Star Trek Defiant or whatever with picard in charge season one, then he moves on and a new captain takes his place and continues the series.

the whole thing about making this to placate people who want a white male lead I call BS on.

Thotch, Deledrius and Qonundrum like this.
  3. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I love articles about nothing............:brickwall:

Thotch and Qonundrum like this.
  4. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

They're bringing back Picard because Patrick Stewart is famous, and people have an attachment to the character. Its only relevant that he's white and male because that was the norm back when TNG was made. Wait 20 years for the nostalgia wave for shows of the late 2010s and we'll be seeing them bring back female and nonewhite characters to cache in on audience recognition.

5. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doubt it.
    White people who are upset because of a person of colour shouldn't be placated.

Thotch, seigezunt, Deledrius and 5 others like this.
  6. Blooded

Blooded Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Article praises the diversity of Discovery, and is hostile to those who allegedly complained about such diversity, then goes on to sh*t on the diversity of having different leads in different Trek shows at the same time...

7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

/thread

I'm a white male. I don't need more placating. Give me all the Burhams, and the Georgious, Janeways and Siskos.

Edit: Oops. I do not need to be placated. If you liked this before double check it now.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Thotch, Deledrius, MSPpete and 4 others like this.
  8. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Clickbait article.

The writer can't be ignorant enough to believe that CBS would spend this kind of money to "placate" people without seeing the likelihood of a substantial profit, so the piece was constructed and posted primarily as a provocation to drive traffic.

9. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

A man after my own heart.

Thotch and Qonundrum like this.
  10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Isn't this a little early? Considering we know nothing about the show beyond Stewart is reprising Picard.

11. Gepard

Not for clickbait!

12. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^^
    You must be new to Star Trek fandom...Star Trek fandom can debate a WORD in any Star Trek article with a 100+ page Thread. :wtf::angel::rommie:

Greg Cox and BillJ like this.
  13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I imagine the audience is the same audience that is currently watching Discovery. Just an attempt to get them to subscribe for more months out of the year.

14. Gepard

And it's not like CBS is hiding that fact. They've straight up said their goal is to have year-round Star Trek on All Access.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The fiends!!! They've been plotting this all along by telling us all about it. Diabolical

;)

16. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not surprised by the article after checking out the whole site. Regards its 'interpretation'... I'm with the reaction that we have had reboots of TOS and now we are getting them TNG based. If I live long enough maybe I'll get to see Janeway again.

Thotch and Vger23 like this.
  17. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not a reboot. It's a continuation of Picard's story 20 years after Nemesis. Right off the bat, the article is wrong. I didn't bother reading past that.

Because only a small corner of Trekdom cares about Sulu's story. A far greater majority of are interested in Picard, and the general public also finds Patrick Stewart very likeable. George Takei doesn't have that kind of following.

Change of heart. Money. Probably both. Leonard Nimoy wrote a book called "I Am Not Spock" because he was so sick of the character, and look how far he got from the role.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Deledrius, JoeP and Turtletrekker like this.
  18. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

They could do so they just didn't want to because George Takei isn't a strong actor and Sulu was never that popular.

19. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I see this show as the launching point for a new era of Trek. I doubt Stewart will be in it for the longhaul.

20. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, like twelve or fifteen of them, average age 57.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.