Spoilers Star Trek: Prodigy 1x01/02 - "Lost and Found"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Prodigy' started by Commander Richard, Oct 26, 2021.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

19.2%
  2. 9

19.8%
  3. 8

32.9%
  4. 7

17.4%
  5. 6

3.6%
  6. 5

3.0%
  7. 4

1.8%
  8. 3

0.6%
  9. 2

1.2%
  10. 1 - Terrible.

0.6%
  1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same.

Commander Troi likes this.
  2. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I quit LD at episode 5. I heard it did get better but at that point I just didn't feel like catching up. I'm tolerant of a lot of stuff, even watched the infamous Star Wars Holiday Special. If it's so bad that I quit, it's very hard to get me back. In regards to Star Wars, I quit Resistance once the hazing of main character Kazuda Xiono got too much for me.

3. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you want to get a vibe for the show I would suggest watching Transformers Prime. It will have some adult themes and usually written in away that goes over kids heads but it will have a childs perspective as well. Likely coming from the rock girl character. Plus tons of action that doesn't get gory. Expect more easy to kill robots. My theory anyways.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I found the emotional logic of the show to be simplistic on the level of shows aimed at 8-12 year olds. With less for adults going on than Pixar films.

Not to say there’s anything wrong with a kids show being for kids. Just it makes me not care to watch it.

I approve of this show as a means to hook em while they’re young, so they later can be transitioned to the harder stuff.

5. Ometiklan

Ometiklan Captain Captain

I just wanted to point out that there is no basis for saying this. We don't know how large the asteroid is, we don't know how much of it has already been searched, we don't even know how long The Diviner has been searching (thought it seems to have been "years" but we don't know if that was on this asteroid or just in general), and given that Dal and Rok Tak were sent down to that area to do mining that day, seems like operations were going to find the ship any day regardless of Dal's efforts.

Noah_23 and Commander Troi like this.
  6. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't suggest you were. I'm saying that it is an important lesson for kids to learn not to discriminate about appearances. Note that of the two female leads: the other is most certainly not dainty and meek.

But there's nothing to be ashamed of with those qualities either.

There's a nasty undercurrent among certain groups, especially geek, that think sweet and kind=weak.

7. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did she do either of those things? I don't think her behavior changed at all between her opening and ending scenes, other than the fact that she was outed as a young child to this slightly older alien. She seems insecure, defending her size and intelligence from Dal's presumption, but I'm having trouble seeing "dainty" in her behavior.

She was given a voice, and we learned more about her. But I think some are taking Alazraqui's voice at face value and adding their own presumptions into the show.

8. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's rated Y7
    So not Barney or peppa pig, designed for young kids. Basically any Disney movie.

As for Rok, that trope has been done ad nauseoum .

fireproof78 likes this.
  9. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looked igneous to me, but I never like to assume.

Commander Troi, Oddish and DaveyNY like this.
  10. Yistaan

Certain groups? I kind of think much of the world has already decided that cruelty is equivalent with strength and kindness equivalent with weakness. You don't have to look past the daily news to see that. But that's beyond the topic of Trek here.

I was wondering if the Diviner was some enemy of Janeway's from Voyager's run who wants revenge against the Federation. Voyager's own Khan so to speak. But looking him up, he seems to be a new character.

11. Mark 2000

Mark 2000 Captain Captain

Except she did. Of course there was a difference in her behavior between before and after the translator kicked in. Otherwise there wouldn't have been a "twist" concerning what she really is. [​IMG]

12. the Sisko

the Sisko Commander Red Shirt

13. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now I wonder if Murf has a gender. Or Drednok. We could end up with more genderless than gendered characters on this show.

I finally found a source for what age audience this is targeting. 6 - 11. They talked about it in a write-up in the Hollywood Reporter earlier this week.

Honestly, Drednok and his terrifying spider body were in my nightmares last night, so I am surprised this is what 6 year olds are getting today, but good for them!

Interesting -- the big disappointment of Kurtzman Trek for me is that the writing on both Disco & Picard is so embarrassingly poor that I could never recommend either show to any of my TV-loving friends who aren't already Trek fans. I really thought these prestige serialized streaming shows would be the way to hook them!

BUT I felt during this season of Lower Decks that their writing had become so exceptional that it was now a show that could be embraced by any lover of great TV, and it turns out I was onto something. I've hooked two friends who never cared for Trek previously on Lower Decks, and the writing is what they enthuse about more than anything else.

Prodigy similarly looks like it'll be a show I would not be embarrassed to recommend to any of my friends with kids.

I would never have imagined that we would have an era of Trek where all the great creative achievements were in animation, while the live-action shows are unable to go two lines without tripping over their own feet.

dupersuper, jackoverfull and eschaton like this.
  14. Yistaan

It's hard to say. Everyone raved about the 2009 movie and JJ Abrams touted it as a movie to show to people who knew nothing about Star Trek. I saw it with someone from Tianjin, China, who literally knew nothing about Star Trek and she thought it was terrible.

15. Galaxy

Galaxy Captain Captain

The problem is that while the ship was hidden behind a rock wall on one side, it was simply resting on a ledge behind a waterfall down in a canyon on the other. It took some like what,3 minutes, to fly to the colony? So that guy spent years employing a slave work force to mine, and he never looked at what was behind the waterfall? I hate when writers do that. They could also have edited it better.

Overall I do like the show. The animation is simply stunning, I wish Lower Decks looked more like this. Some have compared it to Clone Wars in terms of style, and I would agree that it has the same odd combination of tuned to children dialog, which can be painful, and topics, and visuals that seem to be unfit for young children. The girl is intriguing, onthe one hand she is supporting her slave owning father (she is definitively complicit in running a slave operation) but she also has a compassionate side to her. First impression, she may be the most 3D villain since Dukat. I am intrigued enough by the show that I will definitively keep watching.

Uhura's Song and jackoverfull like this.
  16. Argosy

Argosy Lieutenant Red Shirt

As a kid I would have loved this. As an adult I loved this. I felt a wonder and unpredictability to what I was watching which I haven't felt with Trek in quite this way for a long time. Sure the characters arrived at certain conclusions far quicker than you might expect and some of the lessons were on the nose, but that's what you'd expect for something aimed primarily at kids. I loved every moment and the Caitian Kitty...adorable!

Commander Troi and Avro Arrow like this.
  17. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't put the writing in Picard on the same level as the writing on Discovery. Picard had "arc failure" similar to Discovery, but it has episodes with clearly identifiable themes and the character writing was not only serviceable, but at certain points remarkable. It's just that it was often paired with shlocky, dreadful plotlines.

100% agreed. I think the difference is both of these shows seemed to be quite clear about what they wanted to be right out the gate. In contrast, Discovery was a "zombie show" once Fuller was fired, which only continued because CBS wanted Trek revived despite no one at the helm who truly cared. And Picard seems to have been constructed first and foremost as a pitch to try and get Patrick Stewart to come back, with figuring out where it was all going a secondary concern.

18. Quinton

Quinton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked it a fair bit. If my roommates feel the same, it will become appointment television for us. :)

19. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eh, Patrick Stewart very much was the guiding force behind Picard and driven by his desire to say something about Brexit and other issues. Discovery also had a very big driving idea that just got changed halfway through because of its new show runner.

DEWLine, Uhura's Song and fireproof78 like this.
  20. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

You say that but Patrick had no idea he was dying in the final episode until the day of. I don't think he had much to say for the story.