Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 3x10 - "The Last Generation"

Engage!

• Total voters
I think the epilogue was a bit long, but otherwise lovely just lovely. To hear Walter's voice was golden. Loved to see the Galaxy Enterprise doing a Death Star II run!

And here's the only stupid thing... :sigh:

J2i2SPp.png
I agree, thought that was a bit much. Runs against the history of the ship.

Eh, it can be easily handwaved away. The Enterprise A given to Kirk and Co. after they saved the earth from the whale probe was just a re-badged Yorktown, as a gift for their heroic deeds. The Constitution class was only a few years away from being mothballed anyway if we go by what ended up happening in Star Trek VI.

So it's not really a big thing, and I can see it applied here as something done in honor of what the crew accomplished.

This is an excellent interview with Matalas.
https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/star-trek-picard-finale-spinoff-seven-of-nine-q-poker-1235590557/

Rehashing some previous points:
-The ending and much of the details were planned early on.
-None of the core was going to die ever. He didn't have it in him to kill his childhood heroes. He wanted the happy ending this time. He thinks other creators would have done it (he's right).
-The renaming of the Titan was a sure thing. The USS Picard was considred but Enterprise-G felt right.
-Ro Laren's survival was in an early script. Soji was ptiched to return at the end. Money limited that.
-Matalas told John de Lancie he was going to come back for the post-credits scene during Season 2 production. He did it for, what it sounds like, free, in about 20 minutes. They had no money for more.
-He and Alex Kurtzman are slow walking Legacy, but this is the most promising thing I heard yet about it. Not yet in development, but it really sounds more like a "when the time is right" thing. My guess: waiting to see if Paramount will support three live action shows again, rather than two.
-The Poker game was real. The played for 45 minutes. But rigged it so Patrick Stewart always won for filming purposes.

I hope if we do get a Legacy show, they don't just ignore the Ent-G stuff and address it because it is the only thing that bothered me a lot. Same with Captain Seven of the Enterprise. Too much.

I remember Riker in an earlier episode straight up saying the Titan "isn't the Enterprise" as far as weaponry (and seemingly size/crew) goes. But I could certainly buy the idea that Starfleet lost a lot of good people, as well as ships with the Frontier Day incident so decides to do it as a gesture but it throws doubt onto the minds of the crew and even Seven.

I know the Ross Class was introduced in season 2 as the Galaxy Class successor, but I think I would like the idea of the Enterprise-G if it was a sort of next-generation Galaxy Class vessel instead of just the Titan-A renamed. Think that would have worked better thematically as a way to show that "one year later" Starfleet is different, learned from the incident, and they've remembered the value of the TNG characters and why they built ships like the Enterprise-D.

It seems the budget was pretty tight, I wonder if it was because S2/S3 were filmed back to back? Or did the TNG actors just cost that much?

I hope if we do get a Legacy show, they don't just ignore the Ent-G stuff and address it because it is the only thing that bothered me a lot. Same with Captain Seven of the Enterprise. Too much.

I remember Riker in an earlier episode straight up saying the Titan "isn't the Enterprise" as far as weaponry (and seemingly size/crew) goes. But I could certainly buy the idea that Starfleet lost a lot of good people, as well as ships with the Frontier Day incident so decides to do it as a gesture but it throws doubt onto the minds of the crew and even Seven.
They could rejoin the action years later and have the Enterprise-G having undergone a major refit that changes the design dramatically. I mean if they can turn the Luna Class into something that looks like the Neo-Constitution, they could turn the Neo-Constitution into something very different too.

Eh, it can be easily handwaved away. The Enterprise A given to Kirk and Co. after they saved the earth from the whale probe was just a re-badged Yorktown, as a gift for their heroic deeds. The Constitution class was only a few years away from being mothballed anyway if we go by what ended up happening in Star Trek VI.

So it's not really a big thing, and I can see it applied here as something done in honor of what the crew accomplished.
Folks always bring up the Yorktown part is non-canon, even though it it was the intention of the producers, imagined and signed off on by Rodenberry, and included in nearly every bit of licensed work involving the 1701-A in the 21st century. It's a hair away from canon. I consider it canon, but you know Trek fans... very strict about it.

The absolutely canon example of it is, of course, renaming the USS Sao Paulo to USS Defiant in DS9.

If anyone wants a real-world example, the US Navy just renamed the USS Chancellorsville to USS Robert Smalls as part of its effort to remove Confederacy symbols from the US Military. If folks want a TOS / Gene Roddenberry era example, the USS Biddle was renamed in 1964, two years after its commissioning to the USS Claude V. Ricketts. Relevant because of how much Starfleet is based on the USN.

The argument of renaming a ship as against canon is baseless though that hasn't stopped people (as is their way). Furthermore I think that Picard Season 3 being the USS Enterprise-G's origin story is a far better outcome than just having Picard be shown a new Constitution-III class or a new class entirely with the words. It would have felt unearned.

The ex-Titan helped save the Federation. It earned the name Enterprise. Because that's what Enterprises do.

Surprised they kept there powder dry for nearly 20 years with Enterprise names between the C and D

And what's with junking ships after not even 20 years??

The ONE small, incredibly easy, should-have-been-impossible-to-screw-up thing that this season had to do to earn my approval was to do right by the Enterprise-F. And it failed at that spectacularly, retiring it after a grand total of like 30 seconds on screen. Even worse, by slapping the "1701-G" onto the Titan-A (putting aside how undeserving an antique kitbash is of being the next not-so-big E), it devalued the legacy of THAT ship, too. A desecration double-whammy.

But on the flipside, it's kind of a relief that I can now simply write off this show in its entirety instead of just the first two seasons. All the other new Trek shows are still great, and the Enterprise-F is alive and kicking (with a sexy refit) over in the "good future" of STO, so in the end I don't really feel like anything of value has been lost.

Folks always bring up the Yorktown part is non-canon, even though it it was the intention of the producers, imagined and signed off on by Rodenberry, and included in nearly every bit of licensed work involving the 1701-A in the 21st century. It's a hair away from canon. I consider it canon, but you know Trek fans... very strict about it.

The absolutely canon example of it is, of course, renaming the USS Sao Paulo to USS Defiant in DS9.

If anyone wants a real-world example, the US Navy just renamed the USS Chancellorsville to USS Robert Smalls as part of its effort to remove Confederacy symbols from the US Military. If folks want a TOS / Gene Roddenberry era example, the USS Biddle was renamed in 1964, two years after its commissioning to the USS Claude V. Ricketts. Relevant because of how much Starfleet is based on the USN.

The argument of renaming a ship as against canon is baseless though that hasn't stopped people (as is their way). Furthermore I think that Picard Season 3 being the USS Enterprise-G's origin story is a far better outcome than just having Picard be shown a new Constitution-III class or a new class entirely with the words. It would have felt unearned.

The ex-Titan helped save the Federation. It earned the name Enterprise. Because that's what Enterprises do.
Well that's something new I learned. I thought it was on record, official canon, that the Enterprise A was the renamed Yorktown. Good to know!

Back