Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 3x09 - "Vox"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Commander Richard, Apr 12, 2023.

?

Engage!

1. 10 - Excellent!

52.4%
  2. 9

21.2%
  3. 8

7.4%
  4. 7

6.0%
  5. 6

4.6%
  6. 5

2.0%
  7. 4

3.2%
  8. 3

1.7%
  9. 2

0.6%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

0.9%
  1. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That explains why it didn't fit very well on Frakes, lol.

SJGardner and jaime like this.
  2. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Nano spoodge. I should have gone down William Hill.

3. jaime

Did you learn all your critical theory from YouTube? Or just the technical jargon?

4. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think part of what has made SNW so popular is its ability to make those tonal shifts between episodes. It is part of what Star Trek is, I suppose. I and happy we have all flavours though.

5. gvn2fly

gvn2fly Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

the events of prodigy have nothing to do with Starfleet plans. The plans in LD were a disaster so why would they do it again.

6. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Not often I literally laugh out loud from posts here. Typically a chuckle. Well done!

7. jaime

And of course, all motion pictures were shooting that way in the nineties…
    Oh.

8. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly!

9. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's the other way round. Brooks wore Frakes' costume for one or two episodes...

10. Racefuel

Racefuel Commodore Commodore

He did, and Levar wore one of Colm's uniforms.

The only two actors who got properly fitted jumpsuit style uniforms were SPS and Brent.

NCC-73515 likes this.
  11. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is not true. The costumes were desgined for First Contact first and were then re-used for DS9.

12. gvn2fly

gvn2fly Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It doesn't work when they keep going the mystery box route. And there's a difference between finding out who the true villain 1.5 hours into a 2 hour movie vs 9 hours into a 10 hour story if you were going to do the movie comparison.

13. Captain Jollydark

Captain Jollydark Captain Captain

I feel like an Acme Anvil was dropped on my head.

14. Racefuel

Racefuel Commodore Commodore

We're talking about the uniforms for Generations, not the FC uniforms.

15. jaime

As with Star Wars, I liked the new characters, but somehow the people making it let the performers and characters down. Particularly Soji/Dahj/whatever the third one was called.
    I do wish they had reduced 7/8 and kept Soji, because Data awakening to a new Lal in essence could have been interesting and very on theme. Especially if she had then taken on the Lal memories in order to assist with Data’s recovery. But that could have been complicated.

Captain Jollydark likes this.
  16. The Vorlon

The Vorlon Ensign Red Shirt

Maybe the red eyes are a reference to Borg lasers? [​IMG]

17. jaime

That’s the FC uniform.
    Frakes has his sleeves rolled up in Gen because that’s Brooks top.
    (I believe Geordi got Colms.)

SJGardner and Visitor1982 like this.
  18. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd also note that the TOS movies also captured this. Tone varied widely between them, along with stakes (from personal to epic) and the use of antagonists (several didn't have a personified villain per se).

But then we got to the TNG films (and then the Kelvin reboot) and they essentially just made the same movie over and over - a big bombastic action movie with a singular villain, with Earth threatened with destruction like half of the time.

19. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm actually shocked that Levar could wear it without looking like he was a kid wearing his parents clothes. I might be misrembering, but I had thought that Colm had already started to put on weight by the time of DS9, while Burton stayed pretty svelte until recently.

20. J. Frank Doobie

J. Frank Doobie Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What an odd feeling ... I'm not really angry at any decisions made in this episode, more confounded.

Lots of discussion about the series as a whole and comparatively (which I honestly find boring, I don't too much enjoy meta-commentary, but this is kinda begging for it...).

Anyway, here are minor specific, random thoughts:
    • Borg: Sure, makes sense. Fine!
    • Jack's escape: Did the bridge crew just say "Captain, unauthorized shuttle launch!" and Shaw was just like "Okay!" I mean... Maybe! Were the 40-year-old-20-year olds on the bridge just letting it happen, because Borg? Maybe!!
    • I like the logic of the transporter infection, I even like it tying to false-irumodic syndrome.
    • I am ... EXTREMELY WARY of the under-25 thing ... how long has this been working? Perhaps some people were infected years ago?
    • I'm willing to believe that "networked ships being taken advantage of" is a recurring problem for Starfleet, I guess ... would be easier to believe if Starfleet brass (over age 25) had also been infected, and therefore all went with this plan that is obviously stupid to even a 20th-century person.
    • Even if they had mentioned the Texas-class from the last season of LD and the networked battle from the last season of Prodigy, OR Control from Season 2 of Discovery (I guess that's a secret) it would seem wildly unimaginative.
    • This is the fourth time in as many years and on as many shows that the climax hinged on evil networked Starfleet vessels. This does not help the case against arguments that Trek show writers don't talk to each other.
    • I thought the episode was well-directed.
    • Try not to nitpick but I hated the crew arriving at the Museum immediately, then spending five minutes picking memberberries while "the entire fleet" lines up to nuke Spacedock. Regular TV annoyances, but here, at the conclusion, it felt deflating. Just wished this wasn't the scene RIGHT AFTER "They're gonna blow up Earth for the 4000th time!"
    • I DO hope we get a "...and now, the conclusion" next week!