Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 3x09 - "Võx"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Commander Richard, Apr 12, 2023.

?

Engage!

1. 10 - Excellent!

52.1%
  2. 9

21.5%
  3. 8

7.4%
  4. 7

5.9%
  5. 6

4.5%
  6. 5

2.3%
  7. 4

3.1%
  8. 3

1.7%
  9. 2

0.6%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

0.8%
  1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do not ask for whom the bell tolls.

2. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

and just as JL was living alone and bitter in his chateau, away from any danger.

Yistaan likes this.
  3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Advice that Picard never needed, because he'd already maintained his captaincy for decades at that point in his career.

Markonian and Lord Garth like this.
  4. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & Somewhere..! Moderator

You know I've probably watched that last minute of them launching the D from spacedock about 20 times. :lol:

I'd forgotten how good the Enterprise-D looked. She's made for wide-screen. ;)

The musical cues are so on point too. It's been so long since we've seen her. This was the Enterprise I grew up with, definitely a homecoming of sorts. I'll be miffed if the Borg slice her to pieces!

5. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Only on TrekBBS do people complain about fan service. This place is weird at times. :)

6. fireproof78

IDIC.

jaime likes this.
  7. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

And yet he now returned to that bridge on that ship where he can make a difference ;)

jaime and jackoverfull like this.
  8. fireproof78

And celebrated for it showing that career advancement is for losers.

9. Macintosh

Macintosh Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But he was also significantly older than Kirk. Kirk became an admiral at 37ish and apparently almost immediately regretted it; Picard didn't become an admiral until his late 70s, and he did so specifically to make a difference he couldn't do as a captain by leading the Romulan evacuation task force, and later as commandant of Starfleet Academy. Picard was a starship captain in total for something like 50 years, longer than Kirk's entire Starfleet career.

10. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I just wanted to say that this part of your review in particular resonated with me. Excellently stated.

11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

To be fair, most of those characters hadn't been seen in so long, as in decades, that we never expected to see them again anyway. If you're unlikely to ever use the characters again, why not give them a big dramatic death scene instead of consigning them back to limbo?

I mean, it's not as though killing Shelby means we're never going to get the STAR TREK: SHELBY series we've all be waiting for since the eighties. :)

I probably shouldn't admit this but I often breathe a sigh of relief when I kill off a character because it feels like tidying up loose ends. Means I'm on the downward slope and getting closer to wrapping up a story. Not unlike spring cleaning.

12. ICW

ICW Commander Red Shirt

A very easy 10 to what has been an incredible season. One more to go.

jackoverfull likes this.
  13. Ronin'sCreamyCandle

Ronin'sCreamyCandle Commander Red Shirt

I like robots and stuff more than people so yea. It was horrible to me.

14. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus, we tend to change gradually. Gradual change is much harder to see happening, especially within yourself, than someone doing a complete 180 degrees at once.

Commander Troi likes this.
  15. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, from a certain point of view, it isn’t going to end with a bridge on Captain Kirk.

jackoverfull likes this.
  16. jaime

But — and I think of this a lot — those are not a problem with the story, they are just things where your own personality or knowledge affects how you perceive the story. They are not anything *wrong* from another point of view. That they are predictable means they are to a great extent logical, or foreshadowed, or in keeping with the setting of the show. Complaining about Chocolate in your Chocolate milkshake, is a bizarre approach in that sense.
    It’s not anything *wrong* with you (or anyone else who is put out because maybe they wanted something different — but the hyperbolic expression of it is sometimes in some cases) either, it is just personal taste. Today, you did not want a Chocolate milkshake, but we’ve all come to the Chocolate milkshake emporium together.

Commander Troi likes this.
  17. jaime

Becoming an admiral was fine, because he was still making a difference. The moment he ignored Kirk’s advice was when he tried to use his resignation as a bargaining tool. Quite neat really.

18. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Somehow I can't see us getting a Captain Liam Shaw tv Star Trek show anymore...:weep:
    JB

19. RuleofAcuisition17

RuleofAcuisition17 Commander Red Shirt

Amusing note, think it was taken from either them reviewing star wars, or from their pitch for Star Trek: Galaxy.

Matalas and Stashwick have said they already have Shaw's return to life penciled out if Legacy got greenlit.

Speculative money was either as the ECH (which might be interesting, him being a hologram).

Or Seven saves him with Borg nanoprobes which has precendent. It would freak out a guy who has serious and legit Borgphobia and be an excellent character study of someone being helped.

20. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes I thought of that idea myself. Borg nanoprobes being induced into his body to sort of resuscitate him in the advent of a further series of adventures and that sounds much better than a holographic Captain show! :lol:
    JB