Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 3x07 - "Dominion"

Engage!

• Total voters
I'm pretty upset at picard and Beverly for making the decision to execute a unarmed lifeform. Really disappointed in them.
I think they had their weapons set to heavy stun.
They did actually hit the liquid before it went up the shaft.
It might still be a ploy to make Vadic believe she's in control.
Especially the way the two of them talked in front of her while she was detained.

I think perhaps Lore became a not totally unexpected wrench in the plan.
They're hoping Geordi can bring out the best of Data in the end.
:shrug:

Last edited:
Honestly that whole exchange should have been recorded and broadcast as proof of the changeling infiltration.

This James Holden has crystallised something I've had in the back of my head for a few episodes now: this season, though excellent (I look forward to it every week) has clearly been 'influenced' by the expanse. The ship aesthetics, the torture on 'XY station' by a rogue-but-secretly-sanctioned group of scientists to create a biological weapon/supersoldier, one of the main characters having disturbing visions. Even the references to ships and minds linking together echoes the final Expanse book.

Random observations:
  • I thought it was fairly clear that Picard and Crusher were faking willingness to kill Vadic, they were discussing it within earshot of her for her benefit.
  • Why does nobody even suggest contacting someone outside the Federation... the Klingons? the Romulans even? The universe feels very small.
  • I don't like how Shaw has been sidelined.
  • The dialogue this week was a massive step-up from last week. No 22 year old talks the way Jack did in his speech to Picard last week about his good qualities, even if they do look 35.
  • Quippy Worf and Riker have strong Qui-Gon Jinn/Obi-Wan Kenobi mentor vibes.
  • Not convinced the 'capture' at the end wasn't a setup. It was way too easy.
  • Though cliche and weirdly dated tech-wise, the torture flashbacks from Vadic were genuinely unsettling. I thought that whole thing was very well done.

Given that Vadic was obviously (and understandably) traumatised by her torture at the hands of the Federation, shouldn't she have been a bit more shaky when she was captured by Picard etc, who are still Starfleet. Sure she might be cocky about having a plan, but it should still be very triggering.

I thought the way she was slightly misinformed about how the cure for the virus reached the Changelings was very realistic. People one opposite sides of a war won't agree about the most basic facts.

I think they had their weapons set to heavy stun.

They did actually hit the liquid before it went up the shaft.

It might still be a ploy to make Vadic believe she's in control.

Especially the way the two of them talked in front of her while she was detained.

I think perhaps Lore became a not totally unexpected wrench in the plan.

They're hoping Geordi can bring out the best of Data in the end.

I was hoping the same thing Dave. I hadn't looked to see if the phaser fire hit. But really good point.

A Chancellor was mentioned in a previous episode.

Oh fair enough I must have missed that! But it's still odd to me that they don't put more serious thought into reaching out... maybe the Changelings haven't been so successful in infiltrating the other species? Worth a try at least.

I can't understand the Picard's body/Jack's blood thing at all. So supposedly they need Jack to fill in gaps in Picard's DNA in order to create a replica of Picard for use at Frontier Day festivities (given a genetic profile check is required). However...

1) Picard is widely known within Starfleet as having gone rogue, and it would make no sense for him to remain involved in Frontier Day

2) The changelings have already infiltrated Starfleet at the highest levels and could surely access his genetic profile

3) Even if not, they could surely find some other way to bypass the security checks

Maybe it's just an incorrect theory from Picard and Crusher, but it's a pretty bad one.

• Why does nobody even suggest contacting someone outside the Federation... the Klingons? the Romulans even? The universe feels very small.
It's very odd that (former?) Chancellor Martok, who Worf is a sworn brother of, and (former?) Grand Nagus Rom, who Worf is at least passingly acquainted with, are not even mentioned.

So Picard thinks they stole his body so they could get through security on Foundation Day. Wouldn’t they want his synth body if that was the case? It would raise alarms if they went through and he read as fully human.

Not to mention that though his reputation there might be a bit ... mixed ... Picard does know a lot of Romulans, especially some warrior nuns. The Titan does seem to be caught in a hopeless situation, right!

In the Berman era? A script that made sense was 1 in 100. Often a ridiculous situation explained by 40 minutes of technobabble followed by a particle of the week solution.

I hate to say this but watching TNG recently this is very true... the wrap-up of the episodes is often just incredibly rushed and unsatisfying. But this is so much more of a problem after 10 hours than after 40 minutes!

I hate to say this but watching TNG recently this is very true... the wrap-up of the episodes is often just incredibly rushed and unsatisfying. But this is so much more of a problem after 10 hours than after 40 minutes!

A lot of people have very rose colored glasses on with TNG and DS9..there were a lot of really meh episodes and in both cases the first few seaons were painful

That was just tv in general back in the day. A lot of shows used to have rushed endings

In the Berman era? A script that made sense was 1 in 100. Often a ridiculous situation explained by 40 minutes of technobabble followed by a particle of the week solution.
Yeah, but as long as it's said with words, no matter how meaningless those words are, or it is not only shown on screen but is actually pointed out with the dialogue serving as the proverbial red circle and arrow, it is considered "explained." The moment the viewer is forced to infer something from clues themselves, it becomes a plot hole. Such are the rules of the patented Trek formula.

I really liked the episode even though it heavily featured my most hated trope in Star Trek: the enemy invading and taking over the ship. But Picard's plan made sense because they were utterly desperate at that point.
Aargh, yes, one of my least favorite tropes too. Almost always produces a subpar episode.

Back