Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 3x01 - "The Next Generation"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Commander Richard, Feb 15, 2023.

?

Engage!

1. 10 - Excellent!

31.1%
  2. 9

23.2%
  3. 8

21.8%
  4. 7

14.2%
  5. 6

3.8%
  6. 5

2.8%
  7. 4

1.0%
  8. 3

1.7%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

0.3%
  1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is the same uniform they had in Season 2.

Bolts are better for action scenes.

Blooded and fireproof78 like this.
  2. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Riker's move on that kid took me by surprise.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pulse phasers do have their place, though.

That bit in S1 where Seven kills Bjayzl probably would not have worked, dramatically speaking, with beam weapons.

Ar-Pharazon and fireproof78 like this.
  4. Tuskin38

It was explained in the episode. They've been constantly hunted for a while. It's kill or be killed. Also not the first time we've seen Crusher kill in the franchise.

5. cal888

cal888 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I got Brazil vibes from that shot, but now it's really confirmed (Wikipedia on the neighborhood in Rio de Janeiro). Now we just need Space Brasília with all the retro-modernist architecture :biggrin:

&
    At least starting with PICARD season 2 they've been toning those elements down, instead of doubling down on them like season 1 did with ST09 and DISCOVERY elements.

Ogrebear likes this.
  6. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't agree. The phaser beam is unique and they should have kept it. This isn't star wars.

CoveTom and ED-209 like this.
  7. ED-209

ED-209 Commodore Commodore

Do they? I’ll check it out again then. When did she kill before? I can’t remember.

8. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

That episode with the murdered Ferengi scientist comes to mind.
    At the end she is trapped in a shuttle with the experimental shield in a star’s corona.
    Turns out the murderer is with her and she shoots a hole in his torso in self defense before vaporizing him completely because the hole was not enough.

9. MrShinzoff

MrShinzoff Lieutenant Red Shirt

I thought the 'shotgun' was a Sarah Connor homage. I'm fairly sure I read or watched an interview with someone who said something like - when we catch up with Dr Crusher we find she's turned into Sarah Connor.

10. RuleofAcuisition17

RuleofAcuisition17 Commander Red Shirt

Except it's the 2370s introduced Type-3A overcharge "pulse" shot as seen in first contact. Even has the "rack it like a shotgun". Which Worf uses the "pulse shot" on in First Contact in the EVA scenes when the Borg try and assimilate the deflector and even runs out of ammo. Which actually might explain why the power cell drained so quickly, she was going for the most kill-shot way imaginable, or these masked 12 monkey guys are tougher than we think.

That, or McFadden Racking it like Sarah Connor just looks completely fucking badass on screen.

I had to look it all up but the back of my head was going "I know we saw this in the TNG movies somewhere."

We have to remember the movies are 100% bonafide Canonical and so tech introduced in them even if only for a single movie, all count. We know the 3A's were still happily kicking about in the 2380s via Lower Decks too.

EDIT: COMPRESSION PHASER RIFLE! That was the word I was looking for.

11. ED-209

ED-209 Commodore Commodore

Ah yeah….

12. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Moderator

Bourbon. :biggrin:

LOL! Yes, I've seen all of 30 Rock. Yeah, that bubble is especially obvious on tv.

Oh HELL no! :thumbdown:

Come to the Trek side, we have conversation crack! :lol:

Congratulations! :techman:

We saw last season that she's fully accepted that part of herself. She got to see herself as Annika in the Confederation, and it didn't fit.

Would it be my choice? I don't know. But it seems to be what Seven has chosen.

Well said, sir!

I liked it and thought it was the right length.

13. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same here.
    I haven’t seen that movie in a long time, so I won’t comment, but in the previous one it was painfully obvious where they used the physical model and where it was CGI, even if that was used only from afar. But then again that was 1997…

Definitely: apart from the crash sequence (where the particle physics of the early 2000s wouldn’t have managed) it’s all CGI and the ships look beautiful and very real.
    And the lighting…That’s something that is often messed up in recent Trek, unfortunately.

In the same period, many shots of Enterprise, especially in the first seasons, shout “fake” to me, but of course they had a much lower budget than the feature film.

How bad tans fake the Enterprise looks on most of TOS-R is a long standing pet peeve of mine. Unfortunately the negatives often no longer existed and the budget was barebones, which lead to those awful results.
    It’s actually astounding that pretty much the same team did TNG-R, which is probably the best HD remaster if anything ever, but of course they had the original model shots for most of it, they only had to redo the compositing and the effects.

Ovation, SJGardner and Lord Garth like this.
  14. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah to check out that scene. But it's been a long time since I've seen a phaser beam on this kurtzman shows. I miss them. I'll just have to chalk ot up to them going back to the bolt version that the Macos used in STE.

RuleofAcuisition17 likes this.
  15. StarmanBowie

StarmanBowie Cadet Newbie

I’m sure this has probably been discussed, but I wonder if the person Raffi is communicating with is Ro Laren?

Just because when Raffi says “You have no idea how hard it is to be on this world,” the person says they do know and then selects parts of Raffi’s service log that include “dishonorable discharge” and “court martial”.

Ogrebear and Paul Weaver like this.
  16. Tuskin38

So Jorg has confirmed that he hasn't seen any episodes ahead of anyone, nor any scripts. He has no idea what he research was used for until the episodes air heh
    https://twitter.com/gaghyogi49/status/1627399415546757121

The person also calls her a warrior, I can't see Ro using that language.

Commander Troi likes this.
  17. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

This isn't TNG. The galaxy is not a nice place.
    Yup.
    Mores the pity..
    One of the better designs in that era.

18. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry, no time to watch that but do they explain how the impulse deck works with a nacelle pylon plugged into it?

19. StarmanBowie

StarmanBowie Cadet Newbie

Good point. Worf then?

20. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Worf would certainly use it. Maybe Ro. But we also see Moriarty calling our gang a bunch of old warriors in the trailer. So, it's a toss up.