Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 3x01 - "The Next Generation"

Engage!

• Total voters
I got Brazil vibes from that shot, but now it's really confirmed (Wikipedia on the neighborhood in Rio de Janeiro). Now we just need Space Brasília with all the retro-modernist architecture :biggrin:

Right. I miss the traditional phaser beam. It was fairly unique to star trek. I guess they needed to satisfy the newer fans that like star wars.
&
Yup. It's Kurtzman wanting to follow what Abrams did in the Kelvin movies is why we see the stupid bolts and things like the window viewscreens. I hate them both.
At least starting with PICARD season 2 they've been toning those elements down, instead of doubling down on them like season 1 did with ST09 and DISCOVERY elements.

It was explained in the episode. They've been constantly hunted for a while. It's kill or be killed. Also not the first time we've seen Crusher kill in the franchise.

Do they? I’ll check it out again then. When did she kill before? I can’t remember.

Do they? I’ll check it out again then. When did she kill before? I can’t remember.
That episode with the murdered Ferengi scientist comes to mind.
At the end she is trapped in a shuttle with the experimental shield in a star’s corona.
Turns out the murderer is with her and she shoots a hole in his torso in self defense before vaporizing him completely because the hole was not enough.

I thought the 'shotgun' was a Sarah Connor homage. I'm fairly sure I read or watched an interview with someone who said something like - when we catch up with Dr Crusher we find she's turned into Sarah Connor.

I don't agree. The phaser beam is unique and they should have kept it. This isn't star wars.

Except it's the 2370s introduced Type-3A overcharge "pulse" shot as seen in first contact. Even has the "rack it like a shotgun". Which Worf uses the "pulse shot" on in First Contact in the EVA scenes when the Borg try and assimilate the deflector and even runs out of ammo. Which actually might explain why the power cell drained so quickly, she was going for the most kill-shot way imaginable, or these masked 12 monkey guys are tougher than we think.

That, or McFadden Racking it like Sarah Connor just looks completely fucking badass on screen.

I had to look it all up but the back of my head was going "I know we saw this in the TNG movies somewhere."

We have to remember the movies are 100% bonafide Canonical and so tech introduced in them even if only for a single movie, all count. We know the 3A's were still happily kicking about in the 2380s via Lower Decks too.

EDIT: COMPRESSION PHASER RIFLE! That was the word I was looking for.

That episode with the murdered Ferengi scientist comes to mind.
At the end she is trapped in a shuttle with the experimental shield in a star’s corona.
Turns out the murderer is with her and she shoots a hole in his torso in self defense before vaporizing him completely because the hole was not enough.

Ah yeah….

Shots of what, exactly?:shifty:
Bourbon. :biggrin:

Have you seen 30 Rock?

They have something there called something like "The Beautiful People Bubble" where good things just happens for/to attractive people, and there are no dues or consequences for exceptional looking boys and girls.
LOL! Yes, I've seen all of 30 Rock. Yeah, that bubble is especially obvious on tv.

Or at least a high colonic :ack:
Oh HELL no! :thumbdown:

I also have to keep myself from constantly checking back. I shouldn't have done that. Soooo many things I didn't get done today that I wanted to. I'm blaming myself, not anyone else. But this place is like crack.
Come to the Trek side, we have conversation crack! :lol:

when we got married last October
Congratulations! :techman:

So, according to this episode, Seven cared that she was being forced to go by her birth name, instead of the name that was forced upon her by the Borg?:shrug: You don't find that odd?
We saw last season that she's fully accepted that part of herself. She got to see herself as Annika in the Confederation, and it didn't fit.

Would it be my choice? I don't know. But it seems to be what Seven has chosen.

Annika Hansen was a little girl whose young adult life was stolen through assimilation by the Borg. The person who emerged from the Collective was not this same innocent little girl anymore, it is possible that Seven can not even remember much if any of her childhood.

Seven had lived her life as a Borg drone as a part of a collective consciousness, in a genderless and emotionless state with the thoughts and knowledge of millions of other assimilated beings passing through her mind - there would have been no sense of individuality or identity during this time. Of course, this is besides Seven’s interactions in the dreamscape of Unimatrix Zero. Annika *became* Seven. After leaving the Collective this designation was acceptable to the character and her friends and she chose to go by it.

Seven needed to learn how to be an independent and unique individual after decades of having that stolen from her. Those who grew to love and nurture Seven used this name for her with affection. Seven accepted what she once was, and at the same time what she becoming with her name being a ‘bridge’ in her acceptance of being ‘one’, an individual; an entity separate from the Collective yet still very much impacted by her time spent as part of it.

I do think that Seven would have referred to herself only as Seven though with time, probably dropping the ‘of Nine’ part of her name. Unless Seven *wanted to* remember that she was Seven of Nine… Seven may be wearing her name like a tattoo. A reminder of who she once was, what she became and eventually the acceptance of who she was by those around her, in particular those who cared and nurtured her aboard Voyager. Seven may also not want to forget where she came from because it made her who she is today, regardless of the trauma.

She *was* Seven of Nine, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero One. The other Nine were not so lucky. Seven may never want to forget this. :(

I think that Star Trek is at its best and most intelligent when it uses allegories to address social issues rather than being blazé and shoving an agenda blatantly in to our faces. Star Trek can deal with important topics and themes but when it does it needs to remember that above all else it is a science fiction show not a soap opera. It also takes more creativity to write things allegorically and allows for interesting inspired storylines.

I think that Seven herself would not be trans. She would probably have been genderless to some extent as a result of her time in the Collective… though over the proceeding years she may or may not have found an identity for herself. This has not been explored properly yet on screen.

Perhaps Seven will truly find herself when she becomes Captain of the Enterprise in a new continuation of the Star Trek Universe. :p
Well said, sir!

So what did everyone think of the scene at the space dock? I compared to the similar scene in TSFS. I do like the scene but I prefer the one in TSFS. The one I'm the movie has more depth and the ship seems to just move more naturally. Also the cgi was not rendered as well when the ship hit open space. But for the most part I really enjoyed the scene. I do wish it was a little longer.
I liked it and thought it was the right length.

I think I can go with that. My rule of thumb is very simple: Does my mind go, "This is CGI!" or not? If I'm not thinking, "This is CGI!" while watching, then I'm impressed.
Same here.
The only exception -- the only exception -- is the Enterprise-E in Insurrection. I thought it looked like a cartoon compared to how it looked in First Contact. They abandoned the E-E model too soon.
I haven’t seen that movie in a long time, so I won’t comment, but in the previous one it was painfully obvious where they used the physical model and where it was CGI, even if that was used only from afar. But then again that was 1997…

I don't have that issue with Nemesis.
Definitely: apart from the crash sequence (where the particle physics of the early 2000s wouldn’t have managed) it’s all CGI and the ships look beautiful and very real.
And the lighting…That’s something that is often messed up in recent Trek, unfortunately.

In the same period, many shots of Enterprise, especially in the first seasons, shout “fake” to me, but of course they had a much lower budget than the feature film.

Two exceptions. A lot of the time, when I'm watching TOS-R, I think "This looks like '00s CGI!" I prefer the original effects, even though the film quality on the space shots is in terrible condition in a lot of cases.
How bad tans fake the Enterprise looks on most of TOS-R is a long standing pet peeve of mine. Unfortunately the negatives often no longer existed and the budget was barebones, which lead to those awful results.
It’s actually astounding that pretty much the same team did TNG-R, which is probably the best HD remaster if anything ever, but of course they had the original model shots for most of it, they only had to redo the compositing and the effects.

Except it's the 2370s introduced Type-3A overcharge "pulse" shot as seen in first contact. Even has the "rack it like a shotgun". Which Worf uses the "pulse shot" on in First Contact in the EVA scenes when the Borg try and assimilate the deflector and even runs out of ammo. Which actually might explain why the power cell drained so quickly, she was going for the most kill-shot way imaginable, or these masked 12 monkey guys are tougher than we think.

That, or McFadden Racking it like Sarah Connor just looks completely fucking badass on screen.

I had to look it all up but the back of my head was going "I know we saw this in the TNG movies somewhere."

We have to remember the movies are 100% bonafide Canonical and so tech introduced in them even if only for a single movie, all count. We know the 3A's were still happily kicking about in the 2380s via Lower Decks too.

EDIT: COMPRESSION PHASER RIFLE! That was the word I was looking for.

Yeah to check out that scene. But it's been a long time since I've seen a phaser beam on this kurtzman shows. I miss them. I'll just have to chalk ot up to them going back to the bolt version that the Macos used in STE.

I’m sure this has probably been discussed, but I wonder if the person Raffi is communicating with is Ro Laren?

Just because when Raffi says “You have no idea how hard it is to be on this world,” the person says they do know and then selects parts of Raffi’s service log that include “dishonorable discharge” and “court martial”.

So Jorg has confirmed that he hasn't seen any episodes ahead of anyone, nor any scripts. He has no idea what he research was used for until the episodes air heh
https://twitter.com/gaghyogi49/status/1627399415546757121

I’m sure this has probably been discussed, but I wonder if the person Raffi is communicating with is Ro Laren?

Just because when Raffi says “You have no idea how hard it is to be on this world,” the person says they do know and then selects parts of Raffi’s service log that include “dishonorable discharge” and “court martial”.
The person also calls her a warrior, I can't see Ro using that language.

The man that could be stunned and disarmed since he was injured on the floor, yes. TNG Crusher wouldn’t do that.
This isn't TNG. The galaxy is not a nice place.
It was explained in the episode. They've been constantly hunted for a while. It's kill or be killed. Also not the first time we've seen Crusher kill in the franchise.
Yup.
least starting with PICARD season 2 they've been toning those elements down, instead of doubling down on them like season 1 did with ST09 and DISCOVERY elements.
Mores the pity..
COMPRESSION PHASER RIFLE! That was the word I was looking for.
One of the better designs in that era.

Back