Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 1x05 - "Stardust City Rag"

Rate the episode...

• Total voters
Maybe if this was "Star Trek Raffi", maybe we would have seen why she was "fired" (though not the correct term).
Is Raffi character in this series or not?

Again given the amount of time they gave to showing the Mars attack again and again; as well as many different views of Picards resignation; you would think they could spend a little bit more time focusing on other main characters in the series; and not making Raffi's reunion with her son (for example), just come in effectively out of left field.

It's also a bit disingenuous to have a character claiming she's clean, when just a few days before she was still smoking snake weed or whatever it is, and downing a large bottle of vintage wine.

A series should serve all the characters, not over serve the main character. (IMO).

And a lot of his followers on Twitter seem to be okay with what he said about Rapp and say it has nothing to do with Manu as an actor. That he was still blacklisted for no good reason.

Never mind that toxic defense of statutory rape is, you know, pretty terrible to admit in public, but hey: let's compare his treatment to how Hollywood celebrities couldn't work after the McCarthy witch hunts of the '50s. Manu is clearly the victim here.

Apart from the gore (side note: is there any particular reason Icheb had to be alive when the Borg tech was being harvested from his body?), I actually liked this episode. At least we have some damn ACTION again!

I give it 3 out of 4 Brian Brophys.

Last edited:
.... could spend a little bit more time focusing on other main characters in the series; and not making Raffi's reunion with her son (for example), just come in effectively out of left field.

What else did we need? After seeing the scene we got, it's pretty easy to visualize what the hypothetical flashback scenes would have been. So easy that I don't see much ROI in actually shooting them.

So, I realized something.

Bejazzle butchers ex-Borg for parts right? And Maddox was in some sense working with her, correct?

Could it have been more than funding? Could he have owed her because he bought Borg parts from her? Borg parts he needed to finish off the twins?
I didn't even think of that, but it would make a lot of sense if he used Borg tech on the twins. They are probably the best know fusion of technology and biology, so it makes sense to go back to them when creating biological androids or whatever the Asha girls are.

I didn't even think of that, but it would make a lot of sense if he used Borg tech on the twins. They are probably the best know fusion of technology and biology, so it makes sense to go back to them when creating biological androids or whatever the Asha girls are.
Do we know for sure if there is any actual technology inside the twins? Or is it a situation where they are 100% biological like the replicants from Blade Runner or the humanoid Cylons from nu-BSG?

Most films, even hits, don't linger in the pop cultural consciousness for very long. Heck, "Avatar" was the most successful movie of all time and a year later, poof, no one talked about it, no one made parodies about it, no one made cosplay or fan fic about it, there was no more merch for it....it was almost as if it never happened.

Yes, the reboot films were "successful", but that doesn't mean they cast a longer shadow in the culture than the TNG series, which ran for seven years and has been constantly available in reruns and streaming ever since.
Very bad example...
There's a Twelve Acre, Pandora Landscape with rides, attraction built at Disney World in Florida that folks flock to by the thousands each and every week.
And the merchandise there sells like hotcakes more than Eleven Years after the movie came out.

I'm a little irked by the idea that Jurati's contribution to the Twin project would be assumed to be a biological or reproductive one. That should not be the first assumption or theory about her role in creating synthetic life, surely.

I mean, she's meant to be one of Earth's leading cyberneticists; why can't her work have been helping Maddox iron out the design flaws? She's brilliant in her own right.

Just sayin' .:shrug:

Very bad example...
There's a Twelve Acre, Pandora Landscape with rides, attraction built at Disney World in Florida that folks flock to by the thousands each and every week.
And the merchandise there sells like hotcakes more than Eleven Years after the movie came out.

The fact that it has a wildly popular feature at Disney parks doesn't mean jack. Yes, of course it's popular, since it at disney world and because the actual avatar attractions themselves are terrific.

Guess what's also popular at Disney parks? Splash Mountain and it's "based on" a movie that Disney hasn't released in over 30 years and will never release again.

meaningless.

The fact that it has a wildly popular feature at Disney parks doesn't mean jack. Yes, of course it's popular, since it at disney world and because the actual avatar attractions themselves are terrific.

Guess what's also popular at Disney parks? Splash Mountain and it's "based on" a movie that Disney hasn't released in over 30 years and will never release again.

meaningless.
Apparently, in your world, it is meaningless.

But not the Real World.

Your statement was that AVATAR is no longer popular.
Suddenly adding Splash Mountain to the conversation is just moving the goalpost to try and deflect from your original incorrect premise...

Which was that AVATAR as an IP is No Longer Popular or has been Forgotten,
That is a completely false statement you decided to pull out of thin air.

And it is simply proven by the extreme popularity of Disney's Pandora Park now.
(11 years after the movie came out and which is due to get an expansive upgrade in the next couple of years)
Add to that the fact that there are several more AVATAR movies being made at millions of dollars in cost, which will also be released in the next few years.

And another thing, please stop being so damn dismissive of other folks opinions/posts.
It's very rude and does nothing to endear folks to your line of reasoning.

You Opinions are just like everybody else's, nothing but conjecture.
And more often than not, many of yours are easily proven to be wrong.

Last edited:
TNG S1 - Haven:
star_trek_tng11.jpg
Fun fact-- that's Armin Shimerman.

I'm a little irked by the idea that Jurati's contribution to the Twin project would be assumed to be a biological or reproductive one. That should not be the first assumption or theory about her role in creating synthetic life, surely.

I mean, she's meant to be one of Earth's leading cyberneticists; why can't her work have been helping Maddox iron out the design flaws? She's brilliant in her own right.

Just sayin' .:shrug:
I fundamentally agree with you. I just have this impression that, when Maddox said her contribution was 'essential' and they were in relationship, the show is going down that route. Either she carried them, or Maddox user her eggs to create them.

Perhaps a bit of an exaggeration on my part. I actually usually enjoyed it when they'd criticize modern human issues via aliens of the week, but they were kind of looking down their noses when they did so, and it clearly bothered some. There is something less flattering about having an entire crew doing that than having one wry observer among improved but still flawed humans. Spock and the TOS human crew had a little more of a give and take dynamic. TNG was more "we're right, they're all wrong".
That never crossed my mind when watching it, and I never heard anyone mention it in the pre-Internet Age. What I actually remember is that they were always falling all over themselves to be accepting of any culture that they encountered.

"Sir, Worf just disemboweled another Klingon ambassador in the men's room."

"But it was culturally correct for him to do so."

Back