Star Trek origins story

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Valenti, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

In Empire's list of top ten best Trek episodes (all series) GR only had solo writing credits for two and shared writing credit on two more. A documentary I watched on Star Trek a couple years ago made mention of how unreliable he could be with writing/revisions, and on a few occasions someone (one of the producers I think, can't remember who) had to go and stand on his desk until he got it done.

Mr Roddenberry may have given us something that we've all come to love and cherish, but he was only human and as flawed as the rest of us so it's best not to put him on too high a pedestal.

2. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

I counted more than that - like fourteen.

3. Bry_Sinclair

^ As I said, that is from the top ten episodes of Trek in Empire, including TOS, TNG, DS9 and VOY. I'm not disputing his work in creating or writing for Trek but the way I read it it sounds as though other than him there are no other good Trek writers.

4. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Star Trek Ambassador Solkar's Earth diaries
    Earth date 2063 April 6th - Surak help us, we have meet the Terran version of pink and brown Andorians

F. King Daniel and Bry_Sinclair like this.
  5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not gonna lie, this could be a hilarious webseries akin to Red Shirt Diaries.

Nyotarules likes this.
  6. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Until they run across some Kzinti pirates who destroy half the UESPA fleet and lay waste to the asteroid colonies. Then the Vulcans show up en force, force the pirates to back down and decide that Earth is not going to be without oversight anymore.

7. BobR

BobR Lieutenant Red Shirt

I choose to view "The Expanse" as a sort of Star Trek prequel. Set somewhere between the Bell Riots and Cochran's time. The Earthers doomed to Basic Assistance show how the Gimmies were turned into Takers before being shipped off world post-Cochrane to slave in dilithium mines and such to benefit the elite.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  8. iliescu

iliescu Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Discovery is sort of back track towards what Enterprise communications function.

9. Patrick S

Patrick S Ensign Newbie

Personally, I'm over going back and puzzled why they keep doing so.

I'd like to see a series set 100 to 200 years after TNG. Then you can introduce new tech (like holographic communications, etc.) and its interesting AND makes sense. Cut the cord with the characters we've known (beyond a reference now and then, perhaps). Introduce changes that have occurred since TNG and explore them, just as TNG did with the 80 years since OC/TOS. Give us a new Enterprise with a new crew. Let us get to know them through good stories and good writing. Tell us what's happening on Earth, within the Federation with the Klingons, Vulcans. What's up with the Romulans, with the Borg. There's a lot there to explore and there's a blank canvass upon which to create new races, villains, heroes, all that. And there's a model. TNG did it. They made mistakes which can be learned from. They hit a few out of the park and there are lessons there, as well. Although I'm not a fan of The Orville I think they're demonstrating the formula, even though they haven't an established universe upon which its based.

Tracy Trek, lawman and Bry_Sinclair like this.
  10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    They're fine.

11. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn’t not watch something like this, but if you consider the advancements in real world technology since All Goods Things aired, and extrapolate them a hundred years past the Voyager finale, and were not gonna have much to relate too.

How a Victorian. Housemaid might relate to my problem with mobile network provider, my choice of streaming tv service or just the enormous range of opulent foods to choose from at the supermarket, wouldn’t even scratch the surface of the cultural, social and technology changes over the next three or four centuries.

A society that flip between universes, manufacture genomes, manipulate reality in ways we can’t imagine, switch consciousnesses between bodies. There are practical applications for every techno waffle resolution to a substandard episode. Twenty fifth century humans would be as godlike to us as we would be to an Edwardian orphan starving to death in the snow.

I can see the novelty of exploring that, but the entertainment value isn’t sustainable. You need to invent implausible problems to challenge their imperishable status quo.

This why, I imagine, Fall of the Federation stories are appealing.

12. Bry_Sinclair

^ It always amuses me when you see some pitches of new series ideas and there's loads about the technology they'd have and how cool it would look, but next to nothing about the most important thing, the characters. Yes the tech they have available will play a part in telling stories, whether it's unreliable transporters or holodecks gone mad or magic mushrooms, but they're plot devices which affect the people at the core. If a show would get them right then they could set it whenever and wherever they wanted.

Timewalker and Butters like this.
  13. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed.
    Having a series set in the future of the 25th century with completely magical technology that solves all current day problems should be exactly as problematic as a series set in the 23rd century full with unbelievably magical technology that solves all current day problems...

It's about the characters and the challenges they face. If the setting is more advanced with future technologies, then the challenges should be more difficult. End of story.

lawman likes this.
  14. BobR

Well, you could think of Andromeda as a time after the collapse of the Federation, Klingon Empire, etc. Those Nietzscheans might be a subculture formed by Klingons joining with human Augments at some point.

Yes, highly speculative and ignoring fact after fact but I wonder if others have had thoughts along those lines?

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Fall of the Federation really doesn't interest me at all.

16. Bry_Sinclair

^ If that was the path that was taken for some future series I can imagine it being an even more human-heavy show than anything we've had, because we can't possibly have the galaxy saved by some pesky aliens.

17. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

The only way to make everybody happy is to have it in it's own separate continuity that includes TOS at least. Without it being in an alternate timeline like the Kelvin movies universe.

18. BobR

19. CRM-114

CRM-114 Captain Captain

Clean slate reboot. You'll never satisfy every Trekkie, so do what you want.

20. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

No reboot, reimagining...