Star Trek: Online

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by tranya, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General_Phoenix

General_Phoenix Captain Captain

I think lack of content is what hurts a lot of MMORPGs. And the silly names for ships/characters is to be expected, I don't even notice anymore.

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Another day anothe great battle :lol: had to stop the Gorn I think from mining up this sector so me and 3 others warp in and kick ass. Last battle big battleship pounding my ass so got out of weps range then spun around allwing time for repairs while my team mates circle him...On my way back pesky AI fire loads of mines at 2 of my team mates so I spam quick/switch target and fire phasers as I go pass taking out majorty of the mines :p

I love it :techman:

3. IDIC

IDIC Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some screenshots.

Again, my first officer beams me to a hostile planet without my requested away team. I play with my tribble to calm my nerves.

[​IMG]

On the bridge of my Nova class science starship, telling my helmsman to engage.
    [​IMG]

4. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

How the hell do the small people hit the buttons high up on that back panel? :cardie:
    That entire bridge just looks out of place.

5. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

Which bridge is that? I don't recognize it.

And if I have implied that I'm completely in love with this game as it is, I apologize for that was not my intention.

It is still very buggy, there's been more then one occasion where I beam down to a planet as the ship, or get beamed into space and die from lack of oxygen. Some systems that were available five minutes ago now are bugged and don't work properly.

I will say that I'm not getting as many bugs, or as much lag as most people seem to. It runs pretty smooth on my system, which is surprising since I'm on a laptop.

I also see people complaining about the current issue of the server being full. While yes, it is annoying, I don't see how it's at all unexpected. Of course they will NEED more servers upon release, but quite honestly I would imagine it to be much easier to update and tweek things one one beta server rather then twenty beta servers.

Do they need more content? Yes.
    Do they have repetitive missions? Yes (What MMO doesn't?)
    Do I hope they do something with the Klingons other then "We kill things for no reason other then thats how we were written?" Yes, although I'm only holding a small bit of hope for that one.
    Is it perfect? Definitely not, nor will any game ever be perfect.
    Is it enjoyable? Yes, I believe it is. For all it's faults, bugs, and beta status, I find myself having fun in a style of game that was actually getting pretty boring.

6. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It resembles Voyagers bridge the most, I think. I'm currently using it for my Nova Class as well.

7. IDIC

Actually, the button looks so high because my Tellarite engineer is really short and really fat. I have pretty much phased him out as I use my Andorian one now.

8. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

If you do the command /FillPetTeamList then a few seconds later it will populate your away team. Another work around is to invite another player into your party and then hit the "call reinforcements" button.

9. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you really want to get nerdy/apologetic about it, the top half of the screen could just be a projection of what the crewman is really doing, ie like projecting what's on your desktop to a large plasma TV.

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

They need to fix the player model in space = game crash because I can't do ground missions its a widespread issue. I hope months into the game we get a great story that needs loads of umans to join up to stop a Borg Invasion or something like that...

What I mean is a message goes to all players to get to this sector and well its WAR :techman:, I've heard of great dev plots in other MMO's I hope ST-O has some.

11. darthraidr

darthraidr Commodore Commodore

played more today... i'm getting kinda bored, confused and frustrated.

it feels like they present the player with too many options at first and give no information for deciding how to chose. do i spend my points in ship based stats, or on ground stats? i dont know what i'll be doing more of in the game, so i cant really make an informed choice... but if it just had those two "talent trees" i could handle it. instead, there are at least half a dozen different areas my main character can spend their points, split between ground/ship... then i have points for my crew to spend (presenting me with the same dilemma).

combat isn't really fun... maybe i havent figured it out yet, but now, i just spam "fire all weapons" and use my crew abilities when they are up... the 3-d aspect is more cumbersome than it's worth (if there was an option to just play the space combat from a 2d, top-down perspective that would be awesome). ground combat isn't fun, my away team is pretty lame, i cant figure out how manage threat... but i really like the flanking bonuses.

then there is the "cryptic engine" issues i have... i hate all the small servers, it makes grouping with friends difficult...

so right now i'm not sure where i stand on this game... maybe it will get better as i figure it out...

12. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

Since we're into some screenshot territory... my current modified Nova, the USS Icehopper:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the ground crew (with a suspiciously high percentage of female members):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The PvP and Fleet Actions get a lot more interesting at level 11+... once people start differentiating into the three different ship classes, the need for actual tactics starts to emerge. I think they really should have let people pick an upgraded starter ship or something at level 5 or so because it's a long haul to level 11 until things really start to get interesting in terms of the combat mechanics.

13. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

Ground combat is easier then space, but has a much faster pace. The best tactic I've found is to move carefully into attack range of the baddies, then crouch down (C button) and activate an expose attack. For instance, I have a science officer with stasis field. As soon as I activate stasis field on a target, my officers all attack that target. I follow up with a high damage attack like snipe on the phaser rifle. After that target is down, I try to keep them focused on whatever target I attack next by using the purple target button on the team status bar. Focusing our fire like that allows us to quickly diminish the enemy numbers w/o taking losses on our side.

Space combat is more in depth because it depends on what weapons you're using and what abilities your officers have. I always use beam arrays that have 250 degree firing arcs. I mount one in the back and one in the front. That way I can turn to the side and bring both beams to bear on my target, and take out one of its shield quadrants. Once that shield area is down, I point my torpedo launcher at it and put a couple torps in there. That's the basic tactic I use but, again, there's more to it depending on what weapons and officers you have equipped, not to mention what ship type you use.

Hope that helps some.

14. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Has there been a wiki or something made yet? They really don't give you a way to see where you should be dumping points.

15. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Arrgh,Wow those screen shot look amazing I can't wait to play this.

:)

16. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

I have a spare Beta key/head start code if anyone wants to PM me for it....

*EDIT* Key is now gone :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  17. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Atari announces pricing for Star Trek Online

Atari announces pricing for Star Trek Online

(January 15, 2010)

http://www.gamingnexus.com//FullNews/Atari-announces-pricing-for-Star-Trek-Online/Item15919.aspx

18. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

19. IDIC

Yeah, I have an addiction to petting my Tribble in stressful situations...
    [​IMG]

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope you didn't get any ideas about messing with history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.