Star Trek: Online

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by tranya, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenaMarie

LenaMarie Ensign Red Shirt

I completely agree with this. And SWG really was ahead of its time, its the only MMO I can think of that had NON COMBAT classes that still served a purpose. And a Civlian life outside military life. Its my Hope STO could one day Evolve into such gameplay Im not talking about Replacing what is in now but evolve into a Living Star Trek universe with Civilians doing their thing and the Starfleet/KDF doing their bid for King and Country.

2. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

My 2 cents(or energy credits in STO ;) ):

I intentionally avoided any information on this game so I wouldn't know what to expect and/or get disappointed when it inevitably fails to deliver on its promises.

I'll ignore all the bugs and technical stuff and just focus on the game at hand, so...

The goods:

1.Space combat. It's just fun.

2.The look. I don't generally care about graphics as long as the game is good, and some might complain it's a bit to colourful, but it does looks good, space is pretty, planets are pretty, it's all pretty :bolian:

3.The way the game is organized, with the galaxy map, sectors, and randomly generated missions. It does offer a lot of possibilities to improve the stuff I'll mention in the next section...

The bads:

1.Ground combat seems a bit clunky. Bridge officers tend to act like retards on the ground(get stuck running into walls and such). I believe this will be easy to fix.

2.The story, species 8472 infiltrates Federation and Klingon governments, hostilities ensue... blah.

3.Complete lack of Klingon(or any other faction other than the Federation) PvE content. Will be fixed with expansions probably, but still.

4.Instancing does make it possible to play with everyone who owns the game, but it just doesn't give that immersive experience a sharded system does. Even more so since there's no chance of a roleplaying server, and fighting alongside Cpt. Awesomeo on the U.S.S. Jizzinmypants just doesn't feel right :vulcan:

5. ...and most importantly: It's ALL combat. I've blown up more ships and shot more people in the past 3 days than all the ST series and films combined. There is just such a HUGE disconnect between what Star Trek is, and what Star Trek Online is.

The conclusions:

As I've mentioned the galaxy map offers a way to add stuff to explore and scripting missions other than "go there, shoot that". Myself and most other ST fans I know are way more interested in the exploration in ST and not in blowing stuff up. Not that there's anything wrong with blowing stuff up, but what made it even better and more special on ST is that it didn't happen that often, so I believe this has a huge chance of growing really old, really fast.

In its current state the game is entertaining, but unless more variety is added I doubt I'll be entertained for more than the free month that comes with the box.

3. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. dahj

Cryptic got the rights for a ST MMO way before the nuST film was released, when ST wasn't that exposed, and the previous developer went bankrupt. Doubt they paid that much for it.

5. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, there must be some reason they're charging 40 dollars more. :lol:

It's tempting... I guess I have a couple of weeks to see if I pick it up.

6. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

I'll wait and see what opportunities lie in terms of the exploration elements of the game before I make my decision. If it comes out on Xbox, I'd be getting it a lot quicker too, since my laptop probably isn't up to the task.

7. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Any idea yet what its going to cost a month to play this game online.

8. dahj

9. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's more along the lines of that they'll know crazy Trek fans will pay more :p

10. strikefalcon

strikefalcon Commodore Commodore

If I had the cash on hand, I'd shell out the life time fee right now to make sure I was in on every single update in the future and never kicked out of a minute of STO. I know it's only Open Beta, but sweet jesus, it's been fun!

11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

What's the lifetime fee?

12. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

$240 for the lifetime fee.

Plus you get two additional character slots and a playable Borg character.

13. 137th Gebirg

^^^ That's actually not bad at all.

Once they get it up and running for XBox (if ever), I'll try it out for a couple of months and then, if it seems playable long-term, I'll do the lifetime. Thanks for the info! :techman:

14. dahj

The lifetime offer is a pre-order one. It's only valid till February 1st.

And I wouldn't get my hopes up for an Xbox version anytime soon, if ever.

15. 137th Gebirg

Damn. That moves it from a great deal into semi-scam mode. If the game sucks then you're stuck. :(

16. Arrqh

In generally I consider lifetime subs for any MMO to be a waste... generally I feel like moving on after 3 or 4 months anyway.

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Why does every single space fight have to be against loads of enemies ? early level is game and your facing fleets of ships :wtf:

how the fuck I am supposed to defeat all these ships, now and again I will have allies like 1 or 2 but we don't have the numbers. Mission variety FFS.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Does anyone want to create a TREK BBS fleet/team would love to play it with you guys and so much easier going around different bits in a large task force.

Though not sure how to work it properly because I knoe where all on 1 server in the beta but wen you enter transwarp/sector space...there different versions right ? which you can transfer to and from ?

Anyone up for it ?

19. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

No kidding. I just did Una System Patrol, which involves defeating 5 enemy forces...with an average of at least one wipe per force. >.<

20. Arrqh

Was there anyone one else in the system? The game scales the number of enemies up so if you're in an open group (which is on by default) and some random person enters the system then more enemies will spawn. If not, it sounds like a bug... the only times I've had balance problems soloing is when someone else is in the instance as well and either doesn't know what they're doing or is just there to steal my xp :p

If open instance is the problem, you can turn it off somewhere in the options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.