Star Trek : Online is happening OFFICIAL

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Darren2001, Jul 26, 2008.

1. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Looks good. Sometime next year. Gives me plenty of time to get a new computer.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

3. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

It sounds like they're shooting for 2009 just by the in-game start date of 2409.

4. Kurgan

Kurgan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been followig and waiting on this game for a LONG TIME.Now that it's being developed by a mmo developer with a proven quality track record my worries are a thing of the past and I have alot of high hopes for STO.

5. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

Star Trek: Online Timeline is up. Timeline . Not the most exciting read but the history makes sense. I really liked the part regarding the rebuild effort of Cardassia. It's been ages since I read the DS9 relaunch books but doesn't that jive with what's in the books?

6. Idoliside

Idoliside Commander Red Shirt

Interesting how they didn't say that Ro went to the Bajoran militia and served on DS9

7. IDIC

IDIC Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It has been a long time since I watched Deep Space 9 but this makes no sense to me at all. I do not see how a Changeling would allow one of its own to be held prisoner by solids. I thought part of the agreement was that all changelings would return to the delta quadrant.

8. Idoliside

Idoliside Commander Red Shirt

This was explained in the DS9-RL book, Worlds Of DS9 Book 3: Ferengi and Dominion. A ketracel white free Jem'Hadar goes to visit the Founder.

9. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She agreed to stand trial for war crimes as part of the Dominion's surrender.

10. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The next issue of Game Informer is going to have a cover story on Star Trek Online. Link to a picture of the cover.

11. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that will depend on how much they pay attention to nuance and canon... and the option of playing non-traditional characters and, perhaps, choosing to be an antagonistic race. Also, there will have to be an economic system (which I would choose latinum and various trade). Fighting should be ship to ship, maybe in the same way Continuum functions (but a little more sophisticated).

Who knows. I'll be singing up regardless.

12. startrekfiero

startrekfiero Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wow, great news. I will def have to get a copy asap.
    I think Game Stop carries those...

13. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I will have to get a copy of that issue.

14. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed ... and that's Gamma Quadrant.
    Not Delta Quadrant.

15. ktanner3

ktanner3 Guest

Excellent! Moving forward is the right way to go,instead of dealing with the many issues you get when trying to shoehorn a game into what we've already seen *cough*Star Wars Galaxies bringing in jedi during the Empire Strikes Back*cough* . Very interesting read and if it continues on this path I just might give this one a try. There are tons of interesting stories in the Star Trek universe for them to draw upon and tons of possibilities for fun gaming. As long as they don't try and copy WOW(which is a mistake SWG made) they should do fine.

16. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

After reading some information on this MMO, I am torn. I love Star Trek, I love how open and vast the entire series is and that it has the potential to be not only a strong franchise for an MMO but a groundbreaking one at that. However, the approach that Cryptic is taking toward it makes me a little bit -- hesitant.

My biggest issue with this isn't the playable races or anything of that nature. I think they will have a great character engine and some wonderful graphics. The screen shots released are gorgeous. It's the game play that I am having the hardest time swallowing.

As much as everyone wants to fly their own starship, I find the concept a bit preposterous. Thousands, tens of thousands of starships flying around in space, if I remember correctly.

To me, I think this all starts at the academies. I don't know if the Klingons have an academy (they must) but I do know that the Federation has an academy. I think that would be best and instead of commanding your own starship outright, you got to move up through the ranks (leveling) until you can command your own starship. Have it as a quest or something or a mission from commander to captain.

I'll write on this more when I can wrap my head around the concepts.

17. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds about right to me, 25th century, Federation hasn't been decimated by anything since the Dominion War

Well, I'd like to point out that this is a rather common misconception, stemming from the confusion Star Trek can cause sometimes. You don't have to be a Captain in rank to captain a ship. A Lt. Cmdr. commanding a frigate is still called "Captain", but does not possess the rank. It seems clear to me that Cryptic is tryign to make solo play and group play both fun. Solo usually stinks in MMOs. Imagine if you had to have your whole crew to do a single mission. You'd hardly get anything done. I think it's for the better that we each command our own ships. The immersion factor is lost, but this is a computer game, gotta make a few sacrifices for gameplay.

18. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

Except the Borg. We're currently at right now the late 24th century (2381 I believe).

That's true BUT you can have NPCs flesh out everything else. I've played Guild Wars and what they did with the heroes was pretty damn good. Yes they aren't the best of things but they do a good job on what you need to do.

And yes, a lieutenant commander can command a starship more than likely an emergency situation (the Klingon Civil War) but it would be nice to move up rank to rank. Get a specialty (like science, tactical/security, engineering, ops) and then move up that way.

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Actually, if Starfleet follows Navy command structure, Captain is a position and not just a rank. As Hur-timer Jitty said, it is not uncommon to find Officers below the rank of Captain commanding a ship as the assigned Captain.

20. Tralah

Tralah Wasting Time Until May 2009 Fleet Captain

At first I was disappointed in how Cryptic chose to do this, but the more I think about it the more I'm excited. Most MMOs you pick one character, then one profession/class/role to play, and that's all you can do in the game is that one profession, unless you're willing to start from scratch with another character which can be annoying to do or juggle multiple accounts at the same time (which costs twice as much money)

STO as I understand it, is going to allow you to create and customize your entire bridge crew. So instead of just one character playing one role, I'm going to get five characters to name, five characters with different roles to play at once, five characters to customize to my heart's content. Personally I think that sounds like a lot fun. (I'm not 100% sure if that 5 number is 100% correct, but you'll definitely have multiple characters to customize with your bridge crew).

I don't think everyone getting a ship will seem as silly as you think. Klingon faction is going to be available too so you'll have some people playing on Klingon ships and some people on Federation ships. Then not everyone playing on the game is going to be logged on at once, so you're not going to be constantly seeing thousands of ships about. And since space is endless, it shouldn't be difficult for Cryptic to generate place of "space" so that you can take off and be on your own and not constantly bumping into other ships unless you want to. In addition the number of ships in the Federation is going to be even less than you think if they choose to split up the playerbase on different servers.