Star Trek : Online is happening OFFICIAL

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Darren2001, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

Survey says...

2. Delsaber

Delsaber Commodore Commodore

Hmm, that could be interesting. I wonder if your crew will even exist as anything other than numbers in the menu screens... guess that depends if we get to wander around our ship's interiors and ground locales, as the screens from Perpetual's aborted version of the game seemed to indicate. Maybe the crew will merely affect your ship's stats a la the recruitable officers in Escape Velocity: Nova plugins or something.

What I'd like to know now is whether or not the ship classes will be taken from entirely canon sources or if there will be original designs. Probably a mix of both. The non-canon ships Perpetual was showing were pretty awful, I thought. I also wonder how the progression will work. Obviously we're not all gonna be flying around in Sovereigns from the start, but it would also be surprising if we're all forced to toil around in runabouts. Maybe this will be tied to character level?

3. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

25th century?

Sorry, I just lost all interest.

4. Tralah

Tralah Wasting Time Until May 2009 Fleet Captain

I think it's smart to do it in the 25th century. Gives them a lot more freedom to do things in the game and not be as tied down to the 24th/23rd century stuff.

I hope you don't HAVE to be a captain. I like the idea of serving under one instead and would enjoy being a medical doctor I think.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  5. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

If I had to guess, I would say that the medical/healer class will be called the engineer, though it would be cool to have a class like 'Captain Beverly Crusher' in "All Good Things..." that acted as a healer on away missions and provided medical logistical support in space.

The more I think of it, this game will either be an awesome, accessible version of EVE, or suck.

6. Delsaber

Delsaber Commodore Commodore

On the plus side, can it really suck any worse than Star Wars Galaxies? Hell, Stargate Worlds is looking pretty damn rough as well. STO could really be our only hope for a solid licensed sci-fi MMO.

7. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

I hope they give us the option of playing together as crew on the same ship. Some nice RPG possibilities there.

8. jongredic

jongredic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mutiny, for one :p I was hoping they'd go down this route to be honest, I assume it'd be akin to the clans on WoW... I don't really like the idea of being the ship itself, and hopefully it won't be entirely combat based, but we'll see.

I'm needing to order in patience by the crate load these days :scream:

9. Klondike307

Klondike307 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I wish Perpetual had been able to deliver, I really liked the look and the direction they were going in. I'll prob pick this up though

10. the 25th Century thing is more of an excuse to use their own designs, and be like "hey its the 25th century, things have changed!"

In any practical sense, it doesn't really matter whether its the 24th or 25th or 23rd, except in terms of graphical styles and a few things about the persistent universe that can be changed/tweaked at any time with text and a patch.

What they should do is let you be different roles on a ship, so you can have a party of captain, weapons, away team leaders, etc etc. Make the other roles more fun than captain though, so everybody doesn't always want to be captain.

11. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

They could actually try a combo route: each person gets a small craft as an avatar and then guilds can form "starships" to take on the bigger challenges. Then you can seperate different classes to different functions of the ship: dps is weapons, healers would be medical/engineering, tanks would shields/captain. Not a direct analogue, but something in the vein would be cool.

12. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

True, except that it may be a big disappointment for Trek fans who wanted to play in a TOS-era universe, for example, and who have little interest in Trek unless it's from that era. Same goes for fans of Enterprise-era Trek, etc.

So the game could lose some potential players on that issue.

13. CaptainHawk1

CaptainHawk1 Commodore

I've been following the Perpetual development of this for several years and the original concept was that you were to be able to choose your species and if I recall correctly choose either the Federation or the Klingons. I remember the idea of of starting as a an Ensign and working your way up to Captain which makes a hell of a lot more sense to me.

Here's some good info on the old Perpetual Project:

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Star_Trek_Online

Let's hope that Cryptic is sticking to this development gameplan and not starting from complete scratch as we could be waiting forever for this.

-Shawn :borg:

14. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

Possibly but unlikely. If you pay a visit to the ST:O forums that place is abuzz with the development news. And they are fans of the various series, including ENT and TOS. I think the bottom line is that people who've been waiting for a game like this are going to be playing. And setting it in the 25th century is neutral territory anyway. Doesn't really cater to any one series.

I for one had always wanted to experience the Dominion war in a Trek MMO but it doesn't look like I'll be getting it. But you can bet I'll be there, hopefully for beta if available.

15. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

1) Setting it well after the 24th century Star Trek era gives the Developers a level playing field as you won't see Players complaining about "That nerf sucks because it doesn't fit what we saw on <Insert relevent Star Trek seiries/episode here>".

As for seeing the 22nd, 23rd, or 24th cntury era in STO; the Devs would be nuts it they didn't have a number of time travel missions/events, etc. So, I'm sure you'll see other eras at times as you play the game.

Time will tll though as I honestly still don't think you can really translate 'Star Trek' into a fun/playable MMO; but that said, I'll reserve judgement on that until I see what they ultimately come up with.

16. Rat Boy

Are you kidding? Time travel (like it or not) is a Trek staple. They'd be nuts not to throw in a couple of those in there, maybe even run into your character's Mirror Universe counterpart.

17. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Oh, my... this is wonderful sig material -- may I? :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

18. Rat Boy

Go ahead. I live to give.

19. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Thank you! :)

20. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Are there that many TOS-diehards who play MMORPGs?