Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There are some exploration mission you can do, they range from battles to collecting samples of rare flowers from planets surface. There are some diplomatic missions also, where you have to actually do some problem solving(of sorts).
    There are some missions also among the storyline missions, where you heal the sick or search something, that are more adventure oriented though they do also evolve some action parts sometimes, too.
    I know that the game is action heavy and that is not something we saw constantly on Trek shows but I think it is much more difficult to make game without action.
    Naturally it would be nice if there would be more adventure and plot driven missions(though I do not mind the action myself), maybe we get those in the future.
    Maybe you should still play the game further. It gets more fun when you get new ships and I think many of the story lines are quite good.

2. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks. I don't mind a mix of action with everything else. Just not to the exclusion of all else. I'll keep at it. It is frustrating to learn a new game, especially at my advanced 40-somthing years. My 13 year old son - who is not even a Trek fan - started playing it, as well, and he's been giving me pointers on how to control the game, and stuff. I hope playing for freeI won't be excluded from too much of the game.

3. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Think I'm gonna skip the rush for this FE. Server couldn't handle it last time, maybe playing it later tonight will be more enjoyable. Plus I'll let you guys beta test it first... :lol:

4. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice to have a hopefully new social area with a Bajor ground map.

That being said I think this FE is kind of slow going as all your really doing this week is setting up for the Gama Quadrant run next week by getting the Starfleet base up and running, keeping the Bajorans happy and hopefully keep them and the Klingon from killing each other as well as finding out where the fleet came from and why the Prophets felt letting them go was such a good idea, and setting up the need to get in touch with the Dominion.

I mean at least last week they were dealing with the over all story of STO as it was at that point i.e. the Borg invading everywhere.

Hopefully the plot picks up next week.

5. Darth Thanatos

Darth Thanatos Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm 46, and I'm a meh player with a silver account.

The doff system adds in a small part, that trek feeling that just battle after battle doesn't capture.

Some of the Featured Episodes, while combat intensive, also include small parts of non-combat.

And the nebula exploration missions include scan five X (space anomalies in space and assorted scan five artifacts on ground) missions, aid the planet (though rewards have been nerfed) and a couple more of missions that don't include shooting anyone .

6. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

The main Featured Episode missions are always going to have lots of combat. Personally, most of the interesting stuff I have discovered so far laid off the beaten track. Go visit the Wolf 359 memorial, have a walk on Vulcan, go to Bajor just to see what's there, have a short vacation on Risa. And when I get really bored, I just pick a random star and see what's there. So far, I have been pleased with what I have discovered.

The Foundry is another good place to find interesting stuff to do with the caveat that you stick with the top-rated missions.

7. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Yea, got first character through the second episode without encountering any bugs.

Seemed really long, but Bajor was fun to explore.

[​IMG]

Don't forget to take a dip in the fountain. :-)

8. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

You got to see the golden sunset! I missed it. Still, a beautiful place! I swear, if they add in weather patterns (I'm talking rain, snow, etc), I'm going to squee like the fanboy I am.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I don't know why but I particularly enjoyed that brief chat with the Prophets.

10. Trek

Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sounds to me like I should get my two Klingon align toons up to LG and then cancel my sub. If I want a new char then i just restart it (or go LTS when I can afford it).

11. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Visually interesting FE this week, but kinda long/boring gamewise. Not particularly looking forward to doing it a couple more times for my alts. Just lots of running around...

12. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Something I've always wondered about this, knowing that a lot of plot lines from the Pocket Books novels were used, is if DS9's Ascendants are mentioned/featured?

13. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here's a list of canon characters who appear or are mentioned in STO: http://www.stowiki.org/List_of_canon_characters

14. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I now have the Borg set, Breen set, and Aegis set ships gear and am 1/3 of the way into the MACO set.

15. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Some pics from Hathon (Bajor) rooftop. It's a beautiful city. Just wish I could explore further out. Looks interesting...

[​IMG]

On the catwalk near the waterfall plaza...

[​IMG]

16. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Incredibly stupid question, but how do you make these copies of the pictures from the game?

17. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Assuming you have Windows, all you have to do is press the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard. It saves a copy of the image to your "C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\Screenshots" folder.

By the by, how are you guys getting up on the rooftops? I looked for a way up and couldn't find one.

18. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Near one of the buildings is a fork lift truck. That is all I have to say on this matter ;)

19. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That got me on the roof of that buildng. Still no idea on how to get to the "sunrise-side" of the city.

20. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    You get to sunrise the same way you do in the real world; wait.

Bajor has new game tech.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.