Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

FYI, after they fixed the mirror ships, it's as easy as it ever was now.

2. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    Well, PWE CS says I discovered an unknown bug (go me) and I should probably just recreate my character.

I wonder if the free fighter I claimed a few weeks back will be available to my new character?

3. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

As long as you're the same faction, yes. Those were all account-based. You just have to claim it.

4. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

So am I the only one enjoying the T'varo retrofit's destabilized plasma torpedo weapon and the damage it inflicts on unsuspecting targets?

5. Timelord Victorious

Nope. Try shooting the torp, hit evasive but stay on course for target so you stay ahead of the red blob, lay a carpet of mines in your enemies face, hit singularity jump to get out of there before mines and torpedo hit.

6. Dixie Flatline

Dixie Flatline Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm thinking of going to another fleet, guys. (Chorus: ''Basest treachery!''). Monsieur Timelord seems to be the only other fleetmate ever playing, and fairly infrequently at that.

Can ye recommend another fleet for a lonely soul lost in space? Almost level 20 now.

7. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's pretty sweet, especially when firing it off while cloaked.

8. Timelord Victorious

Yeah. Fleet is in a bit of a slow spot. At the moment there is nothing to Do except the Crystalline Catastrophy Event.
    That should change, once Season 8 launches.

9. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I've been in a few fleets, including ones that have hundreds of players and have completely upgraded all fleet assets. Pretty much all of them are deathly quiet and it is caused by how Cryptic has chosen to design the game.

MMOs like EverQuest and World of Warcraft have multiple daily events that heavily encourages 20-60 guild members to participate in them. These events make members mingle and interact both game-wise and socially. That in turn encourages lively and friendly guilds.

Events like those don't really exist in Star Trek Online. Most of the game revolves around 5-player events played with strangers. Sure, there are a few 20-player fleet actions but again you can play those with complete strangers. As a result, fleet members don't have a reason to interact and socially friendly fleets are a very rare thing in STO. Fleet assets and projects don't really improve the socialization either, its mostly the fleet leaders trying their darnest to get members to contribute more stuff.

If you're looking for social interaction, try the DoffJobs channel. There's always a bunch of friendly and helpful players in there.

10. Timelord Victorious

Yes, before you jump ship, try a few chat channels for socializing first in addition to this board.
    If you are interested in accolade hunting I can recommend the channel Accolades.
    It has a friendly bunch of people who also help each others ihr on Missions to get group accolades and stuff.
    I use it regularly.
    Staying in TrekBBS Armada has the advantage that you won't have to deal with any fleet politics and hoop jumping to gain access to benefits at least, since our members are not competing for resources.

11. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  12. Dixie Flatline

Thanks very much for the advice, lads. I think I'll continue to fly the flag, after all. I'm not ungrateful for the invitation; I just like some chatter while I play! :) I'll try the channels.

TV, what was that mission you mentioned that gives you the level 20ish ship again? Temporal something?

13. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    Temporal Ambassador!

14. Dixie Flatline

Aha! Cheers! :techman:

15. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

What is temporal ambassador?

16. Timelord Victorious

It's the name of the Feature Episode they introduced at the 3 Year Anniversary.

17. Dixie Flatline

Look up your episode list. You'll see it.

Also, kudos to Timelord Victorious, who is both generous and gifted with an awesome sense of humour. I owe you, comrade.

18. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

If it involves the Enterprise-C then I remember it.

19. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is it just me? The game won't load. Stops at about 65%. If it's only me, does anyone know how to fix this?

20. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hey all,

I've been playing for a few months now but never popped by this thread. In-game my handle is @comicguy89 and I play two characters, the Federation Alphonsus and the Romulan-Federation Marcus.

Sadly I'm already part of a guild, but it's not that active at the moment.

Anyway, just pleased to meet you all and hope to see you in-game!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.