Star Trek: Nemesis - The Deluxe Edition Soundtrack from Varèse Saraban

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by doubleohfive, Dec 9, 2013.

1. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek: Nemesis - The Deluxe Edition Soundtrack from Varèse Sar

This has nothing to do with "feeling entitled" or anything else. I don't buy the soundtracks. I came here to give my two cents on the production process, of which was already being discussed and debating as to why the studios didn't release the full albums to begin with. I came here to add a little clarity to the situation. Nothing more, nothing else.

I find that your personal attacks are unwarranted and would respectfully ask that we keep a civil tone and contribute to the topic at hand (the new Nemesis expanded soundtrack) rather than derailing the thread any further.

2. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

My understanding of why complete scores are not released was due to the fact of limited media space many many years ago. The music was chosen to fit on the media and arranged in suites to sound better. Different takes and arrangements were also chose for the same listening factor. There are many soundtrack enthusiasts who still prefer them to be released this way.

I'm probably wrong here but I remember reading this some time ago.

3. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, you're right, but mostly in regards to when they were released on LPs and such. The music was arranged to account for the media. Once CDs arrived with nearly twice the data space, it had become primariy a financial reason.

4. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yet strangely the uncut Bootlegs of his final 3 Trek movies were some of the best out there.

Actually since we have experts here, why is it that the 10 films' soundtracks are divided up by so many different record companies? Was it down to the composer, was there a bidding war each time? How did they end up that way.

5. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The reason that different labels have done the different films in the series is that the licensing decisions as to which label has the rights to which score is based on who is in charge at Paramount at the time, and which label subsequently gets the deal.

For example, the OST in 1979 was released on Columbia records.
    I believe Sony eventually got the Columbia catalog (Columbia/Legacy), so they owned the rights to release those 9 tracks on CD.

They then negotiated with Paramount to expand for the films 20th Anniversary, adding an expanded "Inside Star Trek" album as a second disc.

This deal is still in place, and I believe that edition of the soundtrack is still in print.

La-La Land Records, through a relationship with Paramount and with Sony, negotiated the deal to do a limited 10k units.

If you read the small print, you'll find that Sony owns those 9 tracks, while paramount gets direct credit for everything else.

And that's just 1 of these releases. :)

6. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Mine came today. Nemesis is my third-favorite Goldsmith score for Trek. Listening to it now as I work-- so good! I love those electronic textures. It's so moody; makes me imagine a much better film than the one I actually watched.

ALSO: Huzzah, I now own all eleven deluxe soundtracks. Life is amazing. Someone had better hurry up on into Darkness.

7. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, so I get that the "alternate" tracks are the as-recorded mixes of tracks that weren't on the original soundtrack, but does anyone know why some are labeled "alternate" and others "alternate mix"? And why is there one track that has both an alternate and an alternate mix?

8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Typically "Alternate" alone would refer to an alternate performance; "Alternate Mix" would then be just what it sounds like.