Spoilers Star Trek: Lower Decks 4x02 - "I Have No Bones Yet I Must Flee"

Rate the episode...

• Total voters
To this day there's not a single statue of him in this thread...

And that's a mistake that must be fixed right away!

EAB6kWl.jpeg

By the way, I seem to recall seeing the "vicious predator that's deceptively cute and deceptively meek" trope before. And before the "attack tribble" turned up on PIC. Anybody else have any other recollections of this trope showing up in ST? Or SW? Or someplace else I might have seen it?

The earliest recollection I have of the trope is from my sophomore year of high school, from the fellow who introduced me to D&D. His campaign included an awful lot of stuff imported from the competing Arduin game system (common enough, back before D&D became so proprietary), including the "kill kitten."

By the way, I seem to recall seeing the "vicious predator that's deceptively cute and deceptively meek" trope before. And before the "attack tribble" turned up on PIC. Anybody else have any other recollections of this trope showing up in ST? Or SW? Or someplace else I might have seen it?

The earliest recollection I have of the trope is from my sophomore year of high school, from the fellow who introduced me to D&D. His campaign included an awful lot of stuff imported from the competing Arduin game system (common enough, back before D&D became so proprietary), including the "kill kitten."
~ As well as the examples that @fireproof78 mentioned, there's also Nibbler from Futurama, Flerken from the MCU, and the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog from Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) as mentioned in that Kill Kitten link.

It's been a few years since I saw GQ, but I don't recall seeing anything that fits the trope. And Ewoks aren't "vicious predators"; they're sentient beings. Sentient beings whose homeworld is threatened.

And likewise, Nibbler (having never seen Futurama, I had to look him up) is a sentient superbeing, not a predatory nonsentient with a vicious streak.

And Ewoks were straight up about to cook Luke, Han and Chewie.
Hmm. I don't remember that scene at all. Hell, most of the characters don't ring any bells with me, either. I barely remember the premise (a much more elaborate version of the same premise as the TOS short stories, "Visit to a Weird Planet" and "Visit to a Weird Planet Revisited," if I recall, i.e., a group of actors from a science fiction series finding themselves in a milieu where their fiction is the reality).

The thing is, the Moopsy, the Attack Tribble, Monty Python's Killer Rabbit, and the Kill Kittens of the Arduin RPG system, are all presumably non-sentient beasts, whereas the beings in the clip, and the Ewoks, Flerken, and Nibbler are presumably sentient beings. If the latter count, then Salt Vampires may as well count, too.

Hmm. I don't remember that scene at all. Hell, most of the characters don't ring any bells with me, either. I barely remember the premise (a much more elaborate version of the same premise as the TOS short stories, "Visit to a Weird Planet" and "Visit to a Weird Planet Revisited," if I recall, i.e., a group of actors from a science fiction series finding themselves in a milieu where their fiction is the reality).

The thing is, the Moopsy, the Attack Tribble, Monty Python's Killer Rabbit, and the Kill Kittens of the Arduin RPG system, are all presumably non-sentient beasts, whereas the beings in the clip, and the Ewoks, Flerken, and Nibbler are presumably sentient beings. If the latter count, then Salt Vampires may as well count, too.
I mean, I would count the salt vampire, but wasn't aware sentience was part of the criteria.

But, I've definitely seen the trope played with in various shows. The Marvels has a cat disguised creature that is terrifying.

TV Tropes calls this the "Killer Rabbit" and has quite an extensive list:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KillerRabbit

Back