Star Trek Legacies Book 1 Audiobook availble for pre order!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by borgboy, Jun 2, 2016.

1. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I just wanted to give everybody a heads up that the unabridged audiobook for Legacies book 1 by Greg Cox is available for pre order at Audible, released June 28.
    This is the first new unabridged audiobook in many years. I'm assuming the rest of the trilogy will also get released on audiobook, but I've not heard anything about future releases. All Star Wars books get unabridged audiobook releases, I'm hoping this will be the case for Trek too.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Thanks for posting that.

I'm told all three of the LEGACIES books are getting the audio treatment.

Alwaystrekkin and borgboy like this.
  3. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks for announcing this, borgboy.

I was hoping that they would offer a physical edition (mp3 disc) of this, but I suppose I can always just burn a copy myself from an Audible download.

borgboy likes this.
  4. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

I hope PREY also gets this treatment!

borgboy likes this.
  5. Peak

Peak Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just noticed this myself when browsing Audible. Finally some new Star Trek audios!

I just hope that there will be more in the future. If Doctor Who and Star Wars can pump out audio-titles, Star Trek should also be able to do this.

borgboy likes this.
  6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

FYI: I just got word that they're recording the audio version of the second LEGACIES next week. We're sorting out some of the pronunciations now.

Leto_II and borgboy like this.
  7. borgboy

S&S's website has pre orders up for the entire Legacies trilogy.

8. borgboy

Audible has books two and three up for pre order now.

9. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Commander Red Shirt

My only dissapointment that for all the money they charge for these downloads they are really compressed badly i wish they were less so, the digital lisp due to compression is annoying to listen too for long periods.

10. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Audible's quality is poor enough that I've stopped buying from them.

My first choice is an MP3-CD if available. (While still compressed, they're significantly less so than Audible's content. Plus I can just leave the disc in my car and it'll remember my place, without having to faffle around hooking up my iPhone to the car.) Many publishers - including Audible, though fellow Amazon subsidiary Brilliance Audio! - seem to be supporting this format.

For those publishers who are holding out, most of them sell their audiobooks as DRM-free MP3s as downloads through other vendors too. Downpour.com seems to be the best value I can find - often (though not always) being cheaper than Audible. Legacies book 1 is available from them.

Random House seems to be the only holdout who services Audible but not Downpour. (Older Penguin titles are available, if priced on the high end; but nothing from Random House, nor do post-merger Penguin titles seem to be available as downloads.)

11. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

If I download Audible in "enhanced" quality, the sound quality is pretty good on my iPod. Audible doesn't make any of its download options easy to find, but they are there...

12. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

I've gotta say I never really quite got into Trek audiobooks or audiobooks in general. Hearing a Trek story without control over where exactly you are was slightly unsetteling when I first listened to one earlier this year.