Star Trek Futures

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by STF, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

:bolian: I'm postively speechless, what a graphic way to shut me up.

Bob

2. STF

STF Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Wow yes it is! Didn't even notice that the last time I watched TMP.

3. STF

Good news everyone! I am very happy to announce that I will be sitting down, one-on-one with Zach over at TrekRadio.net this Saturday (4/19) at 12pm EST/ 9am PST. We are going to dive deep into the characters and story of Star Trek Futures. I'll also be taking your questions and comments live as well! Hope to see you there!

Dan

www.startrekfutures.com
    www.facebook.com/startrekfutures

www.trekradio.net

4. STF

STF Artwork..... Thursday? Why yes! Better late than never I say! Introducing the Cae "Va'arost" class starship. Characterized by their aging internals and their cobbled together outer hull, the Va'arost class ships can often be held together by quick welds and hope. They represent a bygone era of power and strength that has been lost in parallel with the downfall of the Cae Union. Often times you'll find replacement parts hastily bolted to their hulls or sadly scrapped and set a drift. However don't count them out completely as some of the remaining operational Va'arost vessels can still do some serious damage in a firefight.

[​IMG]

5. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

ok this is just my thoughts based on looking at this thread, so please don't take this the wrong way, but why is this a star trek fan film?

it seems like an original story with its own new aliens, with bits of trek stuff to make it a bit trek, but not massively.

you clearly have some great concepts, imagery and have a story to tell, but you could come up with some cool federation-like thing for your heroes to be part of with its own style of ships, etc and it would be all yours, without the restrictions being a trek fanfilm brings.

again, just my opinions, so feel free to ignore hahaha

6. STF

Haha no worries. I get what you are saying and it's true that most of this is brand new. To that point a lot of the story comes from an original concept before it was brought into Star Trek. At this point the posts can be viewed towards not being an ST fan film, but I'll attribute that to the task of world building in public (BBS, Facebook, etc). Don't let all this new stuff get in the way though. The central pillar of this story IS the Crusher family and the Ent-C.

In my opinion a "fan film" shouldn't be ONLY things/characters that we've seen before. The galaxy is just too big. :). I'm just not the type of person who is going to invest this kind of effort and time in something that anyone else can do. I'm strongly motivated to create something new and different that rings true to your comment. Instead of rejecting your comment, I embrace it and cherish it. :)

Instead of blabbering on further i'll save some of these comments for the interview on Trekradio.net this saturday at 9am PST, 12pm EST. :) Hope you tune in for more about the project.

7. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Beautiful stuff...!

8. STF

Just a reminder to everyone that I will be doing an in depth interview with Zach over at TrekRadio.net tomorrow starting 9am PST / 12pm EST. We'll talk about the motivations for the project, character profiles, and the overall story, and much more. I'll also be answering viewer comments and questions live as well. So make sure you join us tomorrow for some Trek!

Dan

www.trekradio.net

9. STF

Hi everyone! Our interview on TrekRadio.net got rescheduled for THIS saturday, 4/26 at 9am PST / 12pm EST. Hope you can join us!

10. STF

Artwork update! Here is the concept for our villain ships, the Ra'zae Va'arost variant. It is similar in design to the classic Cae Va'arost but with some new updates and modifications. Built in total secret underground, they have increased speed and handling at sunlight speeds, more firepower, and a new upper hull which carries a series of unique mines (more about those to follow). You'll also notice some black "cruft" on the hull. This is hardened obsidian glass that clung to the ship after the ships broke their way through the volcanic outer crust of Ra'kazek. We hope you like the design!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. STF

Introducing our new unified pip design. As many of you already know, rank for our uniforms will be displayed on the collar in similar fashion to 24th century design. Our pip design aims to unify the standard officer, provisional, and fleet ranks while bridging the gap between TWOK and TNG styles. Fleet ranks will still be brass on black while standard ranks are brass on white similar to the TWOK chest pin. 3D printed Alumide samples have already been ordered and we really hope you like the design! Let us know what you think!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

13. Borgminister

14. STF

STF Artwork Wednesday is back! Introducing our Captain, the one and only, Rachel Garrett. Didn't want to stray too far from the course with her. What did you guys think about Cpt Garrett from the TNG Episode, "Yesterdays Enterprise?"

[​IMG]

15. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Beautiful art! Can't just figure out yet whether it's the collar or the shoulder belt that will have the department color?

For me it's difficult to form an opinion about the Rachel Garrett character from "Yesterday's Enterprise".

First we saw her hospitalized which isn't a great introduction, IMHO. But later she apparently revealed a strong will and leadership capabilities, more reminiscient of Janeway than the female captain in ST IV: TVH.

And she apparently asked her entire crew / the survivors whether they wanted to go back or stay in the future.
    Normally, it would be the captain's prerogative to make that decision, but it was a nice touch that she involved her crew in the decision making process.

I'd like to think that in the parallel universe of "Yesterday's Enterprise" she instantly smelled an attempt of the Romulans trying to sabotage the "peace treaty negotiations" (Castillo) between the Klingons and the Federation.

Nevertheless, then, she should have called for other Federation ships to provide assistance to investigate (which she apparently did not until after they had been attacked by the four Romulan warbirds). Thus she seems to be a "never cry wolf" character, rather daring than overcautious.

Bob

16. STF

[​IMG]

Introducing Commander Jeffery Keller. Jeffery Keller has been First Officer to Rachael Garrett for over two years and his devotion to his ship and his Captain are absolute. Cmdr Keller was born into a fairly well off family in London, and whilst in Starfleet he was in the top percentage of his graduating class. He became famous for his unmatched piloting abilities. Off duty he is a likable and friendly to most except for Wesley Crusher. He feels that Wesley is nothing but a nuisance and should not be allowed the freedoms on board the Enterprise that he currently has. He does recognize Wesley's potential however and you can often find them in Ten Forward deep in a highly competitive game of chess.

Original concept artwork by Markus Lovadina

17. STF

[​IMG]

Just a storyboard grab for everyone.

18. Borgminister

Very nice... :)

19. STF

Just a couple quick updates - Storyboards for the first short are done and the pip design is coming along. Thanks everyone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. STF

We are really happy to announce a new artist, Izaak Moody has joined the team. He'll be working in conjunction with Markus, Tommy, and Tobias to produce some amazing things for Star Trek Futures. We've already sent him to work on the 3D model of our Va'arost class of ships.

Secondly, we had a lovely chat with Chris over at Trek.FM for their Continuing Mission podcast last week. The recording should hit your favorite podcast player this weekend or shortly there after. Thanks everyone!

http://izaakmoody.com/
    https://trek-fm.squarespace.com/continuing-mission-episode-directory