Star Trek: Foundations WIPs

Captain X

Rear Admiral
Here are the first tries I had at the pilot wings:

pilot.png

pilot2.png

pilot3.png

Since there seemed to be quite a bit of resistance to the idea of me using the USAF Space Command wings for the pilot wings, I decided to take another shot at them:

pilot4.png

This is still based off of those USAF wings, but not as closely. This is a very rough version, so I'd appreciate any comments, crits and suggestions anyone has.

Here's what I was working on over the weekend:

long_sleeve_service_dress.png

This is what I guess I'd refer to as the "long-sleeved blues". I plan to add the pilot's wings and a name tag as an example of what else would go on there, and I'm also tempted to add a ship's patch to the left shoulder. A service jacket the same color as the pants would go over the long-sleeved shirt, leaving a little of it exposed at the front. Thoughts?

I did a bit more on the shirt today, and emphasized the short collar. But basically it's a no-collar dress shirt with no breast pockets.

long_sleeve_v2_small.png

I'm still working on the pilot's wings.

There are no department colors. Departments are to be determined by symbol, such as the pilots wing. Speaking of, if you have any ideas for symbols for the other departments, I'm open to suggestions. :D

Here's what I have in the writer's bible, excluding Flight Operations:

• Operations Management: This department is responsible for managing all the resources of a ship, station, or other outpost to ensure their most efficient use.
  • Medical: Pretty self explanatory.
  • Engineering: Responsible for what makes everything work.
  • Science: Encompasses all the sciences.
  • Communications: Responsible for all communications, translation, and information management. Communications is technically a sub-department of both Science and Operations, but essentially acts as its own department.
  • Logistics, Acquisitions, & Financial Management: Has the task of managing all supplies and material as well as how to use them to support the mission. The ship's quartermaster and the cargo handlers belong to this department.
  • Navigation: Self explanatory.
  • Judge Advocate: Responsible for any legal issues that arise with UESPA personnel.
  • Dining Services: Self explanatory.
  • Chaplain Services: A fairly small department that tends to any religious needs crewmembers may have while on long-term assignment.

In addition, I'm thinking of adding something specifically for computers and/or electronics.

Well, in case you were wondering just what I was wasting my time on over break when I wasn't wasting time watching movies or doing something with my family (or gaming), this is pretty much it. I'm very disappointed to say that I didn't get anywhere near as much done as I wanted to, and that my lack of Illustrator-fu is definitely showing in the uniforms and probably on some of the department pins as well.

So, to start things off, let's have a look at what I have done for the department symbols, which is to say the chrome pin version that would be worn on the service dress uniform variants.

Aquisitions, Supply & Financial Management
acquisitions1_small.png

Communications
communications1_small.png

Dining Services
dining1_small.png

Engineering
engineering2_small.png

Judge Advocate General Corps
JAG1_small.png

Medical
medical1_small.png

Navigation
navigation1_small.png

Operations & Logistics
operations1_small.png

Flight Operations (Qualified Pilot)
pilot6_small-1.png

Science
science1_small.png

Ranks (Note: These are the same on all uniforms where applicable, as UESPA has no worry about blending in to anything)

Officer
officer_ranks1_small.jpg

Enlisted
enlisted_ranks1_small.jpg

Uniforms (Note: I plan to do some enlisted versions of all of these, but I only have one done so far. I'm also bound to do some tweaking on these in the future)

Short Sleeve Service Uniform
short_sleeve_v11_small.png

Long Sleeve Service Uniform
long_sleeve_v3_small.png

Full Service Dress (Officer)
full_service_v12_small.png

Full Service Dress (Enlisted)
full_service_enlisted_v1_small.png

Operational Duty Uniform (Undershirt Only) (Note: This would be pretty much the same for everyone, and yes, I did base these very heavily on what the US Coast Guard and NOAA Corps personnel wear)
ODU_undershirt_v1_small.png

Operation Duty Uniform (WIP) (Note: I still have some things to add to this, but I thought I'd give you a look at it since it took me such a long time to draw it. I'm not entirely satisfied with what I've done so far on this, and I'm thinking of adding some extra shoulder material similar to what BSG did on pretty much all of their uniforms. I still need to do the name patches, department patches (black or brown leather do you think?), and the officer rank patches for the shoulders or collar)
ODU_v1WIP_small.png

I could also use quite a bit of help for finishing up on the uniforms. For instance, if anyone has some good drawings of the ENT coveralls done from the same perspective as the drawings I've done, I'd really appreciate it if you could share them with me - the bigger the better, because I have some, but they're tiny.

And if anyone knows Illustrator, I was wondering if you knew how I could use a jpeg as the fill for a live paint group or an object, particularly if I could use a jpeg as a repeated pattern for that background, such as a camouflage pattern.

I could also use some opinions on the UEM uniforms, mostly to do with the color scheme to use. I've already decided to use the uniform from Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within as the basis for the design, but I'm having trouble deciding on the color scheme to use for it.
PDVD_101.jpg

I could use WWII US Army colors:
ww2-army-uniform.jpg

Modern British Army colors:
British_Army_No_2_Dress.jpg

US Marine colors:
DSCN2258_0380.jpg

Swiss Army colors:
Swiss.jpg

(Could be too similar to UESPA colors)

Late 20th Century US Army colors:
DSCN2265_0387.jpg

Modern US Army colors:
DSCN2243_0365.jpg

I already have a fairly good bead on the Vulcans, Andorians, and Romulans as far as what I want to do with them, but I could use some hi-res reference pictures from the episode Stigma of this outfit:
stigma_223cropped.jpg

What's the base you're using for the uniform? Looks good so far...
For the service dress, I'm coming dangerously close to ripping off Star Trek: Reborn, and for the other one I'm basing it on the untucked version of the ODU that the Coasties wear.

If you're looking for help on the series, I'd be happy to lend time to the series.
*shrugs* To be honest I don't know what I'd have you do in the short term, but if you register over at cidvision, I'd be happy to add you to the staff if you want. :cool:

So, for the UESPA ODUs and the coveralls, which would be better for a name tag/department patch? Something based on the current Air Force version which includes both the name and the department symbol:
P_585705_614403.jpg

Or a separate name tag and department patch, with the department patch being on one of the pockets?

I would suggest you make a conscious effort to include elements from some of the world's other major armed forces; the RAF, the French Army perhaps, or some other nod as while I understand it is easiest to draw on what you know it does tend to make the entire operation American-centric rather than an understandable formation of world representation.

Just my two pence. :)

Ok, I did a couple initial runs at the leather name/department patches for the ODUs and the coveralls.

tucker_v1_small.png

This version has the department symbol incorporated into the name patch and would be worn just above the left pocket.

tucker_v2_small.png

This version separates the name from the department patch. The name would still be worn above the left pocket, but the department patch would be worn centered on the left pocket itself.

Any opinions on which version sounds better?

Back