Star Trek: First Frontier on Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Bixby, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Red Omega

Red Omega Lieutenant

Using models is idiotic for one reason, budget. Most people have no idea what it takes to shoot a model effectively for film. It is a huge under taking. Yeah, sounds cute. But it is like a director wanting to shoot on film these days. Extravagant indulgence.

Axanar didn't have an experienced director (Christian Gossett only had two short films under his belt), but the guy is an artist and knew his stuff, having worked in the industry for years. Hell, he worked for WETA and Peter Jackson. Most of these fan films have no clue how to shoot a film. Also, you need a good DP. Something both STC and ST:NV have. (As well as Renegades and Axanar)

Finally, only Prelude to Axanar has had a fully SAG cast from what I understand, and based on what Peters is saying on his podcast, the film will be all SAG as well. So I am with them on this. I think most people have an issue with fan films because the acting is so horrid. At least New Voyages has professional, working actors as Kirk and Spock. Makes all the difference.

2. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

I ran into this Kenny Smith yesterday at MegaCon. Had two babes in TOS suits flanking him. Asked him about ST:FF, got much the same (lack of) answers Bixby did. (Said he didn't want to 'spoil the surprises.') Except he did note that Captain April and Dr. Sarah would already be married when the Enterprise launches, which to me seems rather unlike Starfleet of that era.

Handed me a little flyer too, with a pic of the Enterprise orbiting Earth at the front and two pics of Smith himself in his kitchen (one with a camera, the other him 'blocking a shot' with his hands). The text is a boiled-down summary on what's on his Kickstarter page.

Not impressed, to put it simply.

RCAM likes this.
  3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Point of order: Star Trek Continues has (at least!) Vic and Todd who are professional voice actors.

It really does make a difference, both for Phase II and Continues.

4. northstar

northstar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not sure if voicing anime figures is comparable to real acting, but they certainly trying their best.

5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Voice acting has been acting since Mel Blanc, at least!

6. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

Pardon me, but I have to disagree with this view on acting vs. voice-acting.

One need look no further than the great Kevin Conroy, who for many people is the definitive interpretation of Batman and Bruce Wayne. Voice actor.

I could list several others, but you get the point.

Acting is acting, whether on screen or just behind a microphone.

It's nice that Axanar has an all-SAG cast, but looking up Peters' IMDB page, even he is fairly inexperienced when it comes to acting on film (a couple short films and the two fan films he's been in, none of which are professional productions), so in this light it is a bit disingenuous to advertise "all-SAG" as though it's some sort of metric, as compared to other fan film projects and especially as a dig against Star Trek Continues when people like Vic Mignogna and Todd Haberkorn not only have dozens of credits to their names, but also credits that are from professionally produced projects.

Also, it's a bit of a leap to suggest that those who are not professional actors still can't be good in their roles. I don't think any of the leads on Farragut or Exeter are professional actors, yet I have no trouble believing that Carter, Tackett, and Smithfield are longtime friends every time I watch the Farragut films, because they sell that personal connection really well on film.

Likewise, Jimm Johnson and Michael Buford especially are quite memorable in their roles as Garrovick and Cutty on Starship Exeter, as is the actress who plays the Vulcan on Project: Potemkin.

I'm not discounting the professionals, of course. I do disagree however that simply because one is not a professional actor, they can't still deliver a compelling performance, and I certainly think it's a mistake to dismiss voice actors as not as qualified or as talented as any other actor on stage or on film, particularly since we've seen how good both Mignogna and Haberkorn are in each of Star Trek Continues' offerings thus far.

Why must it be all or nothing?

We may just have to agree to disagree, but that's my point of view.

Admiral Archer and Astra like this.
  7. Red Omega

Red Omega Lieutenant

I guess I just disagree that being a professional voice actor is the same as being a professional actor. They are two very different disciplines. But yes, with a good deal of overlap. However, I will take Brian Gross's take on Kirk in New Voyages over Mignognas Shatner impersonation any day. Gross has a take on the character, Mignogna is doing an impersonation of an actor, his idol by his own admission, Shatner. (which I don't consider very good acting). And the incredibly high register Mr. Mignogna insists on using for his Kirk voice makes me question his ability as a voice actor. A lot of people have mentioned this.

As to Karzak's points, I never said being SAG guarantees one being good. I only mentioned other productions had an all SAG cast as it was mentioned on this "First Frontier" production. I agree, all SAG is not a metric of great acting. And there are some non-professional actors who do quite well in fan films.

I think all fan film people are doing their best and showing passion and heart, and actually doing something for the show they love, so that is absolutely to be commended.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Voice actors do not always make good stage/screen actors and vice versa. Some people have a lot of presence with their voice but their physicality isn't convincing. Likewise, a lot of stage and screen actors have fine voices, but are used to having the full range of their instrument (body and voice) and simply cannot sell a voice only performance. This is not to say one is "more acting" than the other, simply that there are differences, and some actors can operate in both spheres and others cannot.

CRM-114 likes this.
  9. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Thank you for your kind words about Christin Woods, who plays T'Noshi on Project: Potemkin and our upcoming Starship Tristan. She's a delightful actress, a true joy to direct, and always has excellent insights into her character's motivations. Look for more of her in the future.

10. RCAM

RCAM Commander Red Shirt

Honestly surprised it was made and surprised that the bridge set isn't Equinox-quality. Congrats to them for getting it made. I'll be very interested to see the miniature work for the reasons discussed in this thread last year.

Also, Vic Mignona is easily the best Kirk in the fan film pantheon. (Sorry... just had to get that out after reading the dated commentary.)

wtriker1701 likes this.
  11. aalenfae

aalenfae Commander Red Shirt

Things actually look kind of interesting with this one. I was very, very hesitant when their super-vague and seemingly over-zealous Kickstarter was first launched and I totally forgot about.

But I'm pretty curious now that it's "resurfaced" and I've actually gone back and looked at their Facebook page. There's clearly a lot of talent behind this; they have interesting original costumes, and a very respectable set, at least.

Philip Guyott likes this.
  12. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I am interested to see how this turns out. Looks promising.

13. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Yeah this looks a lot more interesting than the original pitch made it seem. Guess it's true, you can't judge a book by the cover. :)

14. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

I think the bridge set looks interesting. This is meant to be how the bridge looked when the ship was first launched, 15 years before the start of Kirk's five year mission.

I also really like the uniforms.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  15. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Plot synopsis?

16. Philip Guyott

I don’t know any specific details yet other than the story being focused upon the untold story of Captain Robert April and the first launching of the Enterprise, NCC-1701. I will try and find out more.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    Jedi_Master likes this.
  17. 9gs

9gs Commander Red Shirt

OMG I disagree entirely on your preference for Brian Gross's take on Kirk as opposed to Vic's. Brian is a wimp version of Kirk. I don't have anything against Brian. I just think he plays him too laid back. I thought he was out acted in Mind Sifter by Brandon Stacy.

wtriker1701, QuantumMechanic and RCAM like this.
  18. trynda1701

trynda1701 Commodore Commodore

Somewhere in the darkest reaches of the Universe!
    Those are some interesting pictures. Something new to look forward to. As said above, this has apparently come back onto the radar out of nowhere.

I wonder where the sets were located? And if the group has no further plans for them, they should try and see if they could be preserved. I know, for example, Starbase Studios has limited space, but it would be a cool resource for further fan films who wished to try to shoot pre-TOS films if they could be retained somewhere.

Philip Guyott likes this.
  19. Philip Guyott

I don’t know where the sets are located, but last year they were filming a funeral scene for the film in Marietta, Georgia. Also a lot of the cast and crew appear to be from Georgia.

UPDATE: Here is the Facebook page for the set with location map - Link

Below is a picture of Captain April at the funeral.

[​IMG]

So many Red Shirts! :weep:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    RCAM likes this.
  20. trynda1701

trynda1701 Commodore Commodore

Somewhere in the darkest reaches of the Universe!
    Interesting. That looks like the guy at the turbolift doors, and the phaser rifle. So if he's April, who's that in the Command seat in the first picture?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016