Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 2x03 - "Point of Light"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Jan 31, 2019.

?

Hit it!

1. 10 - Right on point!

9.2%
  2. 9

18.5%
  3. 8

21.8%
  4. 7

16.4%
  5. 6

11.8%
  6. 5

8.4%
  7. 4

4.2%
  8. 3

3.8%
  9. 2

2.5%
  10. 1 - Light on quality.

3.4%
  1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Vice Admiral Admiral

From the TOS Series finale

JANICE: The year we were together at Starfleet is the only time in my life I was alive.
    KIRK: I never stopped you from going on with your space work.

JANICE: Your world of starship captains doesn't admit women. It isn't fair.
    KIRK: No, it isn't. And you punished and tortured me because of it.
    JANICE: I loved you. We could've roamed among the stars.

But that could easily be interpreted in many ways. It could mean he can't be in a relationship while as captain.

2. oberth

oberth Captain Captain

i never understood it like that. to me it always meant:

you guys will always conspire towards no woman getting a starship - no matter what's in the books

it still does - if i'm right there was never a canon violation of that sort :devil:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Also keep in mind that Janice Lester was Looney tunes, and quite possibly didn't have the greatest grip on reality.

seigezunt, BillJ, Phoenix219 and 2 others like this.
  4. oberth

oberth Captain Captain

that's the reason she came up with that conspiracy theory in the first place :devil:

5. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

Up until this last episode it could have been easily explained away as a generic SF designation, but since the Klingons themselves referred to this “new” ship as a D-7, it once again muddies those waters. Russians don’t refer to their own subs as “boomers”. The Soviet-era “Alfa” sub was what they called a “Lyra”-class. They should have stuck with assigning full tlhIngan Hol words to the ship instead of saying “Dee-Seven”. Is the “D” character even called “dee” in their alphabet?

BillJ likes this.
  6. thribs

thribs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But remember, the Enterprise back then was referring to be a “Starship Class” vessel. Since that was later change to be a Constitution Class, you can take the line to mean a woman can’t comnand a Constitution Class vessel, which is what that episode of Star Trek Continues deals with.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  7. oberth

oberth Captain Captain

how on earth is that to work? what's the reason for it. there is a reason why only a naval aviator gets to command a carrier group, but what have ovaries to do with a class of heavy cruisers [​IMG] there's no ounce of sense in that

Nyotarules and Campe98 like this.
  8. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

.. and was also stated by a character in the show, who was so completely off the deep end that she used an alien machine to switch her personality with her ex-lover/boyfriend, Captain Kirk in revenge for leaving her.

Even her current boyfriend at the time knew she was bonkers but went along with her plan.

9. Campe98

Campe98 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, it’s been quite awhile since I’ve seen the STC episode in question (not that it matters because it’s just a possibility of what MIGHT have happened), but the idea of a woman not being able to Captain any starship is still rather sexist, an artifact of a much different time, coming from one line delivered by a crazy person that is easily dismissed.

10. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Commander Red Shirt

That's pretty close to how I interpreted it, ie. "we may have equality according to the regulations but it's still a man's world"

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  11. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Janice Lester would never have qualified to be a candidate for a Captaincy anyway.
    Her psychosis was not something that just popped up overnight.
    I got the impression that it's one of the reason why Kirk left her, she'd been 'out-to-lunch' for a very long time.
    :crazy:

12. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Commodore Commodore

They are classified as sedans

13. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Excelsior must be an SUV.

BeatleJWOL and Campe98 like this.
  14. oberth

oberth Captain Captain

according to one cpt scott more of a trainwreck

Lord Garth likes this.
  15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I remember when the Enterprise-D was constantly being called a cruise ship by detractors.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

How many times did Kirk (or Spock, or that one time with McCoy/Scotty) only win because there was a dropkick on the other side who betrayed her species and ship and friends?

15? 20?

It's a moron problem not a woman problem, yet still in the TOS era, week after week the same story of a woman flipping out and wrecking the obvious logical outcome to any given adventure is repeated again and again.

(These scripts were mostly written by men born in the 1920s, trying to identify with what they assumed were an audience of exclusively boys under the age of 14.)

17. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Vice Admiral Admiral

Wasn’t it described that in an episode or two as well?

18. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, becoming a starship captain wasn't even on Lester's agenda - she didn't want to command a starship, she wanted to get James T. Kirk. Or at least we never learned otherwise.

When Jim Kirk became a starship captain, he closed the door on being Lester's trophy, because he entered this different world. And it's only due to this career move of Jim's that Janice suddenly starts to scheme to become starship captain. Not a starship captain, though, but starship captain James T. Kirk specifically, in a single-minded quest to ruin the man.

Kirk does try and tell Lester that she could have continued her "space work", which clearly meant her work in Starfleet because that's what came to an end after the year they spent together. Kirk continued in Starfleet, Lester opted not to. So we lose our one TOS chance to observe whether a woman at that time could have become a starship captain or not; it's only later (that is, with DSC and its female starship captains right before TOS, and the movies a bit after TOS) that we learn that the answer would have been a simple yes.

Timo Saloniemi

19. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Damn those Tellarites....

20. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

They were ships that sail the stars, but not one of the 12 STARSHIP class space cruisers......;)