Star Trek Destiny!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Smitty, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Maybe you wouldn't agree Chris and I would have to agree with you on this, but Maestro does and his opinion is as vallied as mine or yours.

2. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

Mere Mortals has some of the most beautiful writing in it in the whole trilogy. So worth it.

My reaction to some of the best scenes (in the middle of that book) were "OMG that is achingly beautiful writing!"

3. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

We'll see. Open mind going in to book #2. Going to read something else first. Always need to cleanse the palette after I finish a book.

4. Maestro

All right... I've finished reading Book #2. I don't like what was done with the Borg post-BOBW. I do like that David has capitalized on it and took what we were seeing in Voyager to its logical conclusion. I've also seen some spoilers about what happens next, and I like where things are headed. Book #2 was good. High hopes for Book #3.

5. TerraUnam

Did you like the Hernandez plot then?

6. Maestro

I'm not there with it. I have a sense of where things are heading... at least, I think. If so, then I like it. If Mr. Mack fanboys his way out of this, I'll be disappointed. If he has a twist that radically changes the end from I'm expecting without it being gratuitously fanboy, I'll be even more impressed.

7. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

What do you mean by "fanboy out of it"?

8. Maestro

Lots of 'splosions with big fucking weapons and boom, boom, boom, with the most absurd and implausible actions on the part of the Borg or the Federation. Maybe we throw in transpastic-Bussard-Warp-Energy-Backwash phasers, or find that Captain Hernandez is the original Borg Queen and has to fight herself in the end of the book in some gratuitously lesbian combat scene.

You get the idea.

9. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

^ gotcha.

10. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Phew. Dodged that bullet. ;)

11. TerraUnam

Indeed, I don't remember any Bussard Collector magic tricks happening in Destiny.

No matter, you still have that upcoming trilogy, eh Dave?

12. Maestro

I don't know, David, I used to complain that ST Lit wasn't hard Sci-Fi enough. This was much more hard Sci-Fi than we normally get. Overall, it's a good trilogy. Some great moments, our characters change and develop, it's Sci-Fi, and now we find the Federation in a place it's never been in... the underdog. Once the OS defined who are heroes were actually working for, it was a pretty powerful organization. That held true throughout the TNG serials. Even in the wake of Wolf 359 and the Dominion War, they were still the power. Let's hope they're not for awhile. Let's see how they cope.

In the end, a good read.

13. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

you finished all three then?

14. Maestro

Yep. I've had a bit more free time lately, and I seem to be able to read faster on the Kindle than a regular book. Might be something to do with the fact that I can just enlarge the text when my eyes get tired.

15. captcalhoun

so where's my £200 for it not being the ghost of Hernandez on the wreck?

16. Maestro

It's in the mail. "Quid" is slang for New Zealand currency, right?

17. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

You know they'll all expect a "gratuitously lesbian combat scene" in the new trilogy now.

18. captcalhoun

no, but i'm so hard up, i'll make do with NZ$200

19. Maestro

David does have a knack for writing attractive descriptions of attractive characters without going over the top. Every now-and-then I feel like Jim Butcher drifts into harlequin romance when he's describing a female character in the Dresden Files. I don't feel that way with David's writing.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I see that more as being true to the conventions of the hard-boiled detective genre that Dresden Files is rooted in.