Star Trek Books Not Available as E-Books

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Jul 22, 2020.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which I guess would explain how some contracts for things end up hundreds of pages long.

2. youngtrek

youngtrek Commander Red Shirt

Anybody ever figure out why the “Shatnerverse” novels still aren’t available as eBooks?

David Young
    Brandon, Florida

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just the first three, the rest have been available as E-books for a while now.

4. youngtrek

Ok, thanks. I didn’t look past “Ashes of Eden” and “The Return”.

However (reframing the original question), anyone ever figure out why *the first three* “Shatnerverse” novels still aren’t available as eBooks?

David Young
    Brandon, Florida

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Even in the old days, before ebooks, contracts spelled out everything with as much precision as possible, and especially when it comes to payments. And with regards to royalty rates, it very much depends on the format. Hardcover royalty rates are different from trade-paperback rates which are different from mass-market royalty rates which are different from special book-club edition rates, etc. So what rate applies to ebooks if an old contract from the 1970s doesn't even mention their existence?

And if that's up in the air, how can you put out an ebook version without all parties first agreeing to who gets what percentage of the proceeds?

(Throw in the additional complications of dealing with licensed properties and, yeah, it's not as simple as it sounds.)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  6. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not an ebook, but if you just want to have a copy of the stories, look for the omnibus called Odyssey. I can find copies in very good condition for just under $8.

7. youngtrek

@Smiley Thanks, I still have print copies from back when they first came out. (Had to search for a bit but I finally found them. Right there on a bottom book shelf after looking through a bunch of boxes and about giving up.)

Still, it seems really strange to me that the first three Shatner/Reeves-Stevens books never got put on eBook while just about every single other Pocket Books Star Trek novel before and after (including apparently the later Shatner ones) did.

Having them (or the “Odyssey” omnibus version) be available on eBook would allow those who prefer eBooks or who no longer have a print copy to buy these. Libraries that carry eBooks could then order them. And, even better, they could then eventually show up in one of the monthly $0.99 eBooks sales.

There is the possibility that there’s some sort of contractual thing with those first three novels, I suppose. Although whatever it would be must have been addressed with the later Shatner books if they are available as eBooks.

—David Young
    Brandon, Florida

8. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

By the turn of the millennium, eBook rights were part of every Simon & Schuster contract, but it may not have been covered in the first three Shatner books (which came out from 1995-1997). It is possible -- likely, even -- that compensation for those rights has not yet been worked out among S&S, Shatner, and the Reeves-Stevenses.

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  9. youngtrek

Thanks. That would make sense. However most if not all of the 1980s early Pocket Books Star Trek novels seem to be available as eBooks, don’t they? Uhura’s Song is one of the books on the $0.99 sale. Are you thinking that all of those had to have eBook agreements written up and agreed to by the original authors over the past few years? (And what of the authors who are sadly no longer with us?)

—David Young
    Brandon, Florida

10. TJames03

TJames03 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

“Probe,” “Cybersong”, aren’t eBooks.

11. youngtrek

Interesting. Starting my way down the list, all of the first ten Pocket Books original series novels (The Motion Picture novelization through Web of the Romulans) appear to be available in eBook.

12. TJames03

Vonda N. McIntyre LOATHED Roddenberry!

13. TJames03

ST:IV isn’t available other than in a Captain Kirk eBook Omnibus. Not available separately.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought it was Richard Arnold she wasn't a fan of...

Daddy Todd likes this.
  15. TJames03

VNM had choice words for ALL of them. That’s why she ever let hardly any of her Star Trek books become eBooks. She especially banned ST:IV and “Probe”. They got (as I said before) ST:IV in the Omnibus, but not separately and prob will never see “Probe” as an eBook.

16. TJames03

Those books are garbage. They’re just “Shatner/Kirk can do no wrong” novels. No loss.

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Vonda N. McIntyre had nothing to do with Probe.

Daddy Todd likes this.
  18. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek 4 is available as an ebook on its own? (at least on Amazon UK). Cybersong is also listed there in ebook form - but only in German.

19. TJames03

20. TJames03

Anyone know where I can download “MOTS”?