Star Trek Books and Comics Timeline-ing Discussion

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ryan123450, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Nothing's 100 percent reliable. The point is, if she'd been using it without incident for years, and it then happened to fail at just the wrong time (or if she let it lapse, like Ben Sisko did with Kasidy), then she wouldn't have noticed "lack of period" as an anomalous symptom.

2. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Clearly, I didn't put nearly enough thought into Carol Marcus' cycles when putting together my timeline. :lol:

lawman and ryan123450 like this.
  3. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok here’s an issue I tried to work through a while back, but never reached a concrete solution to. Can anyone pin down the exact day Deep Space Nine was destroyed? Without going into my exact reasoning right now, I believe it to between August 27-30, 2383. Maybe someone noticed a detail in some novel that allowed a more precise date?

4. Christopher

I have it on August 31 in my chronology. It's a week before Rebecca Sisko turns 7, and I have September 7, 2376 as her birthday, which is based on the assumption that Unity begins on September 1 -- since the recap timeline at the beginning of Unity goes through August and then the book's events pick up pretty much right after that under a September heading.

5. ryan123450

That is a really good point. I knew if I could either pinpoint Rebecca’s birthday or the destruction of DS9 I would also have the other one. But I couldn’t figure out her birthday either. Your method for determining that seems pretty likely.

6. Christopher

Well, maybe. It depends on how literally you want to take the month headings at the start of Unity. Putting the preceding events under "August" and the immediate continuation under "September" could've just been a simplification.

It also requires ignoring a reference in a scene set a few weeks earlier in Plagues of Night that Rene Picard turns 2 "next week." Rene was born in the first week of September 2381 (just days before Rebecca's 5th birthday, in fact), so that reference would put the destruction of DS9 a few weeks later, in mid-September. I think there was a bit of a miscommunication somewhere about the birthdates. Or else I badly misread the timing of PoN, but it generally had pretty clear date references internally, and I kept running notes as I read. (Not sure if I still have them, though.)

7. ryan123450

Seems I recall another book were Rene’s age was inconsistant. Can’t remember offhand what the details were.

8. lawman

lawman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Quick question: in what specific novel was Rene actually born?

9. Christopher

He wasn't. For some reason, there's a pretty big time jump in TNG novels between Losing the Peace, during which Beverly was pregnant, and Paths of Disharmony, in which Rene was a bit more than a year old. I got his approximate birthdate by adding 9 months to when he was conceived in Greater Than the Sum, which was in early December 2380.

10. lawman

lawman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, thanks! I was trying to figure out what I'd missed. (Which was plausible, since I certainly haven't read everything...)

11. JonnyQuest037

@Christopher, do you have your full ST timeline posted online anywhere? I'd be interested in reading it.

12. Jbarney

Jbarney Captain Captain

There are differing timelines available on line. Ryan keeps a couple of different versions on his website, too.

Timeliners are working to update the document that was published in Voyages of Imagination, but whenever it sees ink again is anyone's guess.

TheAlmanac, Jinn and ryan123450 like this.
  13. ryan123450

Yeah we’ve been sitting on that one for more than a year now, but I guess Jay decided to let the cat out of the bag. :D Jay is our fearless leader, having revived the original Timeliners group and graciously invited in some new voices as well (like me!). Hopefully one day we can get that awesome Voyages of the Imagination timeline in everyone’s hands again. Somehow. Someday.

14. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Not a second to early. Forcing the poor cat to stay in that bag for so long is just inhumane. Or incaitian or whatever. Plus, you can't cuddle a cat in a bag. I mean, I guess you can when you're with it in the bag, but that just makes it overcomplicated.

Jbarney likes this.
  15. ryan123450

:rofl:

With friends like this...who needs enemies!

Jinn likes this.
  16. ryan123450

Admittedly some of the details on a few of my pages are in serious need of some work. I’ve fallen behind in my reading and the lack of knowledge on many books has inevitable led to guesswork and secondhand info. Hoping to do some major house cleaning and updating in the coming months.

In truth I’ve priortized our efforts in updating the Timeliners document over keeping my site in good shape for about the last year. But I feel very good about that choice. :techman:

Oz Trekkie likes this.
  17. JonnyQuest037

Yes, I know. I have many of them bookmarked. I was specifically curious about @Christopher's.

ryan123450 likes this.
  18. ryan123450

Getting back to this. Christopher, I haven’t read Unity for quite some time, and didn’t take concrete notes back then. Are the 6 days you site as the gap between the start of the book and Rebecca’s birth spelled out clearly in the novel, or is that the interpretation you ended up going with?

Having just read Revelation and Dust, several times it seemed reference was made that the dedication ceremony of the new DS9 took place on the exact second anniversary of the original’s destruction. And the book spelled out pretty clearly that the dedication took place on August 27.

So I’m missing something or all the facts didn’t end up lining up. Anyone have any thoughts?

19. Christopher

^As I said already in post #166, I recognize that the date headings on which I based my estimate may have been simplified/approximate. A difference of 4 days seems plausible.

20. ryan123450

This thread has been quiet for a while, but I wanted to bring up that I posted a new page on my site. It's genesis was the running discussion me and the other Timeliners had privately about the chronological clues we noted as each episode of Discovery was coming out. I finally had time to create a page with all that info. It contains a few data points based on Klingon dates, so it "crossed-over" with another of my recent interests. Check it out here:

https://startreklitverse.yolasite.com/discovery-chronology.php

lawman, TheAlmanac, Leto_II and 3 others like this.