Star Ship Polaris

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by aridas sofia, Mar 3, 2008.

1. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

2. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Skipping around among several different parts of this project now. Try to keep up.

[​IMG]

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Can anyone see out of the lower center window in this arrangement?

4. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Maybe it's a window for some sort of camera or passive EM sensor on the front of that console?

--Alex

5. Vektor

From the POV of someone sitting in one of these seats, they should have a line of sight through the lower part of the middle window, bearing in mind that I haven't actually modeled this in 3D or done detailed perspective analyses or anything. Also remember that the entire pilot/copilot console and seat assembly tilts 90 degrees for takeoffs and docking maneuvers.

6. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think that design number 1, 5, 6, and maybe 3 are the ones I like the best, and I see these as designs that a rebellious upstart faction, which as far as I know it, the Transhuman Authority would be.

I see many of vessels of the Transhuman Authority as being a fleet similar to the Confederacy of Independent Systems/Separatist Alliance, with most warships having their beginnings as freighters and transports. The THA didn't have many resources for brand new vessels like the United Worlds navy, though they probably did try (and their degrees of success probably will depend of the decisions of the producers).

Big, long ships, with tons of space for adding weapons and armor and shield generators would probably be amongst the mainstays of the THA fleet, even at the waning of the war.

The reason I like the look of option 1 is the almost-but-not-quite rocket ship look. I'm picturing sausage shaped battleships with maybe drive sections towards the rear that look like they have a relationship to the Polaris's engines, but on a much bigger scale, and from the front to the middle, there is a lineup of turret after turret, with the curve of the hull being used to give the turrets a better line of sight, so when they are pointed straight forward, they still have a clear line of sight.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Shield generators? What are those?

[​IMG]

8. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Nice looking ship! Huge, too. Reminds me of many different other ships, but it's definitely its own creature. Is this, like Polaris, another nose-is-the-top oriented ship? It looks that way from what I believe are the windows.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

It varies - there are hangar decks that are oriented perpendicular to the direction of motion, but most of the modules are along the axis of travel.

10. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

This is looking great Dennis. Is that the model finished?

11. Vektor

Very, very cool. Glad you reposted this so I can steal some of the design cues for my background ship designs.

12. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Ooooh! me like! :cool:

13. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

cancel my previous order, please. i'll have fifteen of those things instead.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

15. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

That bright turquoise in the spheres is a bit overwhelming. Perhaps it is the vibrancy or just the color itself, but I much preferred the more subtle indigo from the earlier stages of the design anyways. Either way, I think it could benefit from being a touch dimmer. There is nothing on the front sides of the ship to balance out that big ball of blue and it detracts from the rest of it.

It looks like the sphere on the back is actually turned down a bit, or perhaps it has to do with the lighting.

16. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Oh wow! I really want to see this movie.

--Alex

17. Admiral Buzzkill

"Another one of them new worlds..."

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss8Zj8UAHTA[/yt]

18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow! Looking good. :techman:

Moar, please.

19. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

^What he said.

20. Vektor

Love the way the sails close up right at the end. Conveys a nice sense of "settling" into orbit.